PDA

View Full Version : Speakers are whistling at me

scott1e
21-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi there,

I recently blew my in-line fuse for my amp/sub in the boot and have since been having major static in my speakers..

The problem was that my red power lead had popped out of its place on the amp and touched the metal on the amp making my speakers go insane..

I have since replaced the fuse but now I am getting a similar ammount of static, as well as this weird whistling sound everytime my car revs..

The pitch of the sound increases as the revs go higher and I cant even hear the sound when the revs are low..

My power lead, remote wire and speaker cables are all running down the same side of the car but this has never been a problem until now..

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Cheers,
Scott

venus
21-10-2006, 05:41 PM
scott sounds like you need a noise filter, you can get 1 from any sound shop or even supercheap and change your power lead to run down the opposite side to your rca's that should fix it for you :)

scott1e
21-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Noise filter..

And where abouts in the circuit does that fit in..

Cheers for your suggestion but do you have any idea why the problem has only happened since the latest blow?

venus
21-10-2006, 07:49 PM
head unit, noise filter, rca's.

it was probably doing it before but you hadn't noticed...

stormridah
22-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Check your grounding points
Could be a few other issues
Also try to run your RCA's and power cable on opposite sides of the car by memory it has something to do with the EMF coming out of the cables

if that doesnt help i saw an article on caa that should help you

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42644

marte
22-10-2006, 04:18 PM
you could of blown your rca cables, or
you've blown your rca output,
possibly the rca grounding is loose.

Or ur hoping for this that u just need a new groudns cable.

stanleym
23-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Noise filter..

And where abouts in the circuit does that fit in..

Cheers for your suggestion but do you have any idea why the problem has only happened since the latest blow?

.... i not sure but i would think behind the head unit???
can any1 clarify this

cheers

marte
23-10-2006, 02:02 PM
updated my last post ~

scott1e
23-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Hmm..

Grounding for the sub looks fine.. Wouldnt have a clue where the grounding for the RCA's is..

From listening then.. It seems only the two front tweeters and two rear (stock 16 year old speakers) are making static noise..

Im not too knowledgeable on the RCA's to the two front speakers but im trying to take the door off now anyway.. and am struggling with that even lol

marte
23-10-2006, 02:54 PM
the grounding for the rca is in the actual head unit or in the brain.
Ur tweets and rears connected to an amp yeah?

scott1e
23-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Tweets and rears are not connected to the amp no..

Front splits are straight from the headunit, as are the tweeters.. Stock back speakers would be the same I assume...

The guy who installed the headunit has bundled all the cords at the back of the headunit together and as such I cant seem to find the grounding cord, or where it goes to..

Another problem is when the I set the Volume from off (or 0) to 1 or any other volume above that there is a quick doof on the speakers..

So when the volume is turned on, on comes the static, and there is a quick doof sound from the speakers and sub..

marte
23-10-2006, 04:16 PM
where did u get ur instalation done?

scott1e
24-10-2006, 12:03 AM
I had a sub-contractor come to me and do it.. Im not sure whether there was a warranty but ill look into it..

Pulled the door frame off earlier on tonight and couldnt see any visible damage to the wires, but then again I never really expected to..

davec
24-10-2006, 11:06 PM
try re wiring your speaker connections (solder them on if u want) and as for the noise filter, the rcas connect to one side of the filter and the otherside connects to you amp

scott1e
26-10-2006, 02:33 PM
The guy who hooked the speakers up for me did a pretty professional job.. Stripped all the cords neatly, twisted the wires together, then soldered and taped them back up...

Whereas in my mates Laser the grounding is visible once you remove the headunit.. My grounding is taped up and keeps going back and back till I cant see it anymore..

I am going to re-route the cables down the opposite side but what I dont understand is why I havent needed a noise filter/cables down the opposite side, until this last fuse blew?

Ive blown fuses before and replaced them for perfect sound quality...

scott1e
27-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I think I have localised the problem..

I ran the speaker cables for the sub down the opposite side to the power/remote wires..

I plugged it all back up and turned the car on to no avail.. Still hearing static noises.. However when I removed the RCA cord for the sub (sub still had power obviously) the static and high pitch squeal cut out and music still played..

I hope this gives someone an idea of what my problem is...

chicken8
27-10-2006, 05:30 PM
are you listening to the whistle song?

Rasputin
28-10-2006, 08:12 PM
are you listening to the whistle song?
:P

Can you test with another head unit, amp or even just a spare set of rca cables?

Also sometimes noise is induced when the RCA cables aren't 'gripping' tightly where they're plugged in. This happens because the outer metal circle of the plugs provides the ground, and if this is not connected 100% then of course there are grounding issues.

Make sure the RCAs are plugged in tightly and all the way. Could also be a damaged cable.

One of the other options is, as suggested before, that the head unit had it's grounding fried (again to do with the RCA cables. The tracks could have been damaged, so if you were able to test with another head unit that'd help localise the problem.

tune2look
14-02-2007, 11:54 PM
If the sound is very constant, it could be your amp not being able to handle the power it gets.

It is very important to do base wiring correctly.

When some device receives xxx much of power from battery, it should let xxx much of power out and back to battery.

IF input > output, then where does the (input-minus-output) go???

Check your grounding too!