PDA

View Full Version : performance Exhaust, i have not idea

Dray_Templar
23-10-2006, 03:24 PM
hi guys, hoping some of you can clear above a few Q's i have about getting a performance exhaust installed. (total noob in this area).

anyways was doing some research here (http://www.carline.com.au/default.asp?pageid=SearchAndFAQ&template=CONTENT&sid=226)

http://www.carline.com.au/images/Tech%20pics/Walker_Lukey/Exhaust%20system%20components%20v2.JPG

Am trying to figure out what needs replacing, what gets totally thrown out the window, and what gets kept.

basically leaving the headers for the moment, i know that i will replace the Cat with a high flow one do i keep the resonator/replace it/ or throw it?, Should i keep the front muffler/replace it/ or throw it out the window? being dual exhaust iI'm pretty sure i will need 2 performance rear mufflers and some sexy tips for them.

does anyone have lukey performance exhaust parts? can you make any recomendations?

kwayzivietnamese
23-10-2006, 05:10 PM
western mufflers for lukey performance exhausts :thumbsup:

Slow96GSR
23-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Well what car, y/m/m? Next, if it's dual exhaust you can get a muffler with two inputs and two oupts, or 1 for each side or a 2 to 1 or a 1 to 2. As for the resonator I would keep it. For the cat, depends on laws there. Pipes will be custom bent for your application by a good shop.

krogoth
23-10-2006, 06:33 PM
1.DO NOT remove the catalytic converter
-its horrible for the environment
-and its a 10k fine if u dont have one and dont think no1 will notice either....
an exhaust system with no cat will make a 4cyl sound like a v8, so its very clear who has a cat and who doesnt

2. get rid of stock cat and replace with high flow cat
-good for performance and allows for further engine mods
-will make a significant improvement in the sound of the exhaust

3. Leave resonator
i believe that in that chamber a sort of noise cancellation process occurs, wer the peaks and trouphs of the sound wave are timed in such a way so they partially cancel each other out...thus reducing noise pollution...
-without the resonator, I THINK the car will be much louder, but i havent heard of the resonator beinb removed really.....ask an expert

4. mid and rear mufflers
-u can chop both of these off and replace with a straight section of pipe....this will improve sound of exhaust
-but getting rid of those mufflers will mean a significant loss in backpressure which means exhaust will leave car much more quickly, this may cause a loss of low-mid range torque, ur car may be a little slower off the line

-u can leave mid muffler as stock and replace rear muffler with another muffler

A.STOCK MUFFLER-works in a similar way to the resonator in that it reduces sound pollition by timing sound waves to cancel each other out.....and it has a few different layers of material as skin, specially made to absorb sound

B.AFTER MARKET MUFFLER-does not use noise cancellation....it replaces the complex layers of noise absorbing material and S stuructur path for the exhause piping........in the after market muff, ther is a straight section of piping covered by a layer or 2 of noise absorbing material.....

so noise is reduced strictly by absorption and not noise cancellation, therfore u will get an increase in noise

5. Overall piping size
my civic, would probably have 2inch diameter piping going from engine to rear muffler
-to increase sound and slight performance, i would go to a 2.25 inch diameter piping
-for an accord which, I THINK, would have a 2.25inch stock piping, u would have to go for 2.5inch piping...but not bigger that that...as a loss of back pressure will occur

the best thing u can do is talk to a proffesional....but wat id do is replace stock cat with a high flow cat and replace the rear muffler with an aftermarket muffler

this setup will sound awesome IMO, u wont get a loss in back pressure or a loss in accellaration but u will get a significant improvement in the noise of ur exhaust, its also a relatively cheap way of doing an upgrade to ur zorst

FINALLY, this is all amateur knowledge...so if som1 knows better, please dont hesitate to correct me.....

CUL8R
23-10-2006, 07:44 PM
yes, DONT REMOVE THE CAT, replace with high flow
RESONATOR, ur right man, u could get this replaced with a "hot dog" style resonator, if u run the car without a resonator the exhaust will have a loud droney sound to it
Piping size, this is very important, a wrong size will lose power and responce or not have any top end if its too small.

BENDING AND MATERIAL
Stainless steel is much better than mild steel, it can be made thinner and still have a smaller chance of rusting through ect.
Madrel bending is a special process of bending the pipe unlike crush bending the pipe diameter stays almost constant for the whole bend, this results in much better flow

Vinnie
24-10-2006, 01:15 AM
ive got a couple of q's bout exhausts as well so instead of starting a new thread ill jus sorta hijack this one....

Anyway im considering upgrading the zorst system on my car as well and im looking at a greddy cat-back system (evo 2) and headers (all stainless steel). first off, is the catalytic converter the only part not included in that system or are there other compnents that will need to be bought? secondly, ide be getting it from the US for about $850US (headers and cat-back) so will it be compatible and a direct fit with the jdm accord and is that price astronomically above other alternatives or reasonable for a brand name system? thirdly, im expecting it too be louder than stock but is it still gonna be legal or in breach of noice/emissions laws here coz i dun wanna end up with a defect and i dont spose it needs to be inspected by an engineer or anything? finally, the car is currently insured with aami so would i have to inform them that i had had work done and would this in turn affect my premium?

anyway any help is appreciated, thanx :)

Dray_Templar
24-10-2006, 08:26 AM
thanks guys for your very helpfull posts, got more of an idea where i need to head with my exhaust. just need to figure out how to get the note i want with the muffler set up.. hmm.

I'm after deep note, not a tinnie one, but still want to keep it within the legal limit. Will have a chat to a few exhaust people/ places, least now when i talk to them won't sound like a complete dick that knows nothing about the exhaust thanks Guys.

NP Vinnie all yours now.

Vinnie
25-10-2006, 03:05 AM
thanx dray :)

im looking at going the I/H/E route to get a bit of power as the low compression and conservative tuning leave a massive torque hole until vtec engages but by the same token i dont wanna go overboard as it still has to be quiet enough as a daily driver and not attract the cops...

cat-back seems to be a viable option but im no pro on exhausts so dont know if there are better alternatives...

quangsta
25-10-2006, 08:52 AM
AFAIK (dont know much but) where your torque lies depends on the type of header and catback you get..

for instanceheaders
4-1 will give u torque higher up
4-2-1 more bottom end

size of cat back (i think catback has less of an effect though, unless u actually start thinking about 3inch pipe allthe way etc)
2.25 bottom end
2.5 top end

also the type of exhaust you go for too may play a role
though the your best ruote is to decide what you want ie where u want the power and how much u actually want....
bottom end get 4-2-1 header ,2.25 possibly get away with a 2.5 catback
top end get 4-1 header , 2.5 cat back

vinnie:
as for getting parts from the US not sure about accords but some us models may have different engines so research your model and find its US conterpart...i assume same engine should be straight fit.....most of the time anyway

Dray_Templar:
in regards to legal limit i think its about 90db or something dont quote me but yerr....steer clear of straight through pips, 3inch piping or 4inch cannons...all this will give you pointless noise which will just attract the cops...

catbacks that are pretty quite mugen twinloop, fujistubo rm01a and hks silent power...just to get the ball rolling....

have a look at this thread...good thread to get a general idea of how much louder an exhaust is to stock or to each other....
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44668

anyway...enough from me actually too much from me
enjoy

Dray_Templar
25-10-2006, 11:13 AM
thanks quangsta
+rep

quangsta
25-10-2006, 12:31 PM
btw personally i wouldnt go for a custom made one from a general exhaust shop simply a pipe with a few resonators just to keep noise down, are restrictive and unproven...

though if dyno dave or someone in the industry who would actually did some R&D said he would custom make mine i would say ok :thumbsup:

i say this cause alot of exhaust places would say 'we'll custom make u one to fit prefectly like stock etc etc for half the price of the branded ones and it would be the same cause 'essentially' an exhaust is just a pipe..." tell them yerr u'll think it and walk away :)

yourfather
25-10-2006, 11:38 PM
if you're really paranoid about noise, just get a JASMA approved system.

Limbo
26-10-2006, 09:32 PM
ok my bit of advice. Don't get US headers as they have the driver on the opp side and usually their headers hit and don't fit properly.

The exhaust will depend on what use you want for your car, either max power, a blend or a quiet exhaust, or jsut for bling.

Also is the car auto, what are your futher plans what is your budget.

once we get the basics then you will get a more informed answer.

AsH_
27-10-2006, 04:07 PM
i heard DC Sports headers are good... ceramic coated...

CUL8R
27-10-2006, 05:30 PM
i heard DC Sports headers are good... ceramic coated...
nope u heard wrong
dc sports is the home brand of headers, u would be better off going xforce!!! haha and thats saying something

AsH_
27-10-2006, 08:28 PM
lets all go out n get mugen headers... ppl who got em already... damn u

quangsta
28-10-2006, 10:56 AM
even mugen has only so much power but alot of bling..

toda on the other hand has both for approx the same price =)

if you wonna start comparing headers...theres like a numerous amounts of threads already made about it...i wont link cause
1. i cbf
2. u can go learn how to use the search function

edit: can be stuffed now

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=472243#post472243

AsH_
31-10-2006, 04:10 PM
id go TODA if i was 2 choose... i prefer TODA for some reason...

ig3o
06-08-2007, 10:25 PM
i currently hav dual lukey turbo mufflers and it sounds great! and looks good too