PDA

View Full Version : Power window issues

SiR
23-10-2006, 10:58 PM
It seems the front driver's side window has popped out of the rubber seal and hence it won't fully close.

What can I do? Take off the door lining and try and whack it into place?

I'm not a DYI kinda guy, so I guess I should leave it to the professionals - who should I take my car to?

Thx.

blubber
23-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Have you tried pushing it back in with your hands? See if you can do that!

SiR
23-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah, tried that w/o much luck though. The rubber seals are quite thick, so it doesn't seem that easy to just push it back in place unfortunately.

Kandy
24-10-2006, 12:06 AM
try holding/guiding it in place as it's going up.

otherwise if it still gets stuck, it might have slipped out of its rails, from the bottom, which you will need to take the trim out and re-adjust it.

took a while to get it fixed in my car:
my friends helped me with mine the first time it happened
took it to windscreen o'briens the second time
it happened again, honda said i needed a new motor
it happened again and my friends managed to get it into the rails the last time.

make sure after its been fixed to put silicon spray (especially in the colder months) in it and it shouldn't happen again, it's been over a year since the last time for me. (opps i haven't sprayed it in like 6 months)

Kandy
24-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Yeah, tried that w/o much luck though. The rubber seals are quite thick, so it doesn't seem that easy to just push it back in place unfortunately.

is it near the triangle bit that it's stuck?

SiR
24-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the tips, Kandy.

Yeah, the triangle bit is where it's stuck. The whole window just seems out of place...I had the window fully opened and as far as I could see, the window may have slipped out of place at the very bottom, so guiding it up on the way up might not help.

So a trip to O'Briens should do the trick?

Kandy
24-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Yeah, mine got stuck at the triangle bit too. Sounds exactly like the same thing that happened to mine.

If you want to try it yourself, get another set of hands to help you. Take out the door trim and you will see that the vertical rails have probably gone askew and will not be sitting paralle to the window. If you just put it back into the rails it will probably happen again. Look down the bottom at the thingamybobys that is holding the window up and controls it going up and down- a part of this has probably unclipped somewhere and may be prone to pushing the glass up on an angle (mine was manky too I think).

You can take it to windscreen place, but from experience it didn't help as my friends fixed it and I wasted $100.

SiR
24-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks again Kandy. I'll try and take off the door trim (once I figure out how to take it off in the first place!!! lol) and see what's what. I'm completely hopeless with DYI though, so I could end up having to take it to a proper place to get someone to have a look at it.

Kandy
24-10-2006, 01:46 AM
I managed to find a picture in someones DIY thread (sorry for stealing --;)

My door was similar to this one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3084s.jpg

You need to remove that plastic thingy, and stick your hands in the two holes at the bottom. If it makes it easier you can also guide the rail and windows up to the bigger hole as there is more room.
Becareful though as you wouldn't want to drop it!

What year civic do you have?
In my 96: To take the trim out you need to remove the speaker, then there are two (I think) screws in the hand hold thingy next to the window buttons. I don't know what it's called. (super technical me). From memory it then just angles off??

SiR
24-10-2006, 09:51 AM
We drive the same model! :D

How hard is it to remove that plastic thing and putting it back on afterwards? It looks like it's fixed on with tape of some sort?

Thanks for the pic and info again!

V-TEC_BABY
25-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Yeah i had the same problem with mine..

All you need to do is take the bolt out which is holding the vertical rail (this is in the circular hole - bottom right, the rail is what guides the window up straight) then just use a tiny bit of force and move the rail so that u can get the window back inside the rail. Once you get it back in just put the bolt back in to secure the rail.

Hopefully this helps you out!!

SiR
26-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Everything's been fixed now (thank god!) and after applying a liberal amount of silicon spray, the window works a treat!