PDA

View Full Version : crv question..

sitta
24-10-2006, 10:46 AM
i borrowed my sister's crv on the weekend and i almost crashed it.. it was raining and as i went into a roundabout it had massive understeer. i was going to go straight, i followed the curve but as i want to exit i turned the steering wheel to the right, the car didnt turn and i almost went into the metal side wall.... terrible experience never had that kind of massive understeer from my sedan.. my question is what is the button on the gear lever on the automatic crv its a 2003 model it says 0/I

G3RA1D
24-10-2006, 11:45 AM
it may be the overdrive button.
when switched on it allows the engine to run at a lower RPM while maintaining your current cruising speed, which results in better fuel efficiency.

krogoth
25-10-2006, 10:54 AM
^yeppp, that is true

i think u copped the massive oversteer because:

1.it sounds like u may have aquaplaned

this happens wen ur tyres cannot move enuf water off the road because they are worn out and need replacing....so the water gets between ur tyre and the road and u literally start floating around, lol

also the tyres may appear like they have lots of tread left on them, but that can be quite misleading...have them checked by a professional..

2.its unlikely to be the overdrive button, as that function has minimal impact on the way the car works at low speed or while turning

3. how did u regain control? this may give us a better idea of wat went rong

sitta
25-10-2006, 11:44 AM
how did i regain control? the front tyres eventually found abit of traction, just enough to pull the car in the right direction, its actually understeer, turned the steering wheel but the car didnt turn, still have traction on the rear end but the front end didnt want to turn. i confuse myself, before the facelift recently the 2003 crv is only fwd right?

Pogi
27-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Is there an overdrive function? I have a D3 button on my lever (MY05) and its for towing.

Sounds like you lost traction and the on-demand 4WD kicked in.

sitta
27-10-2006, 01:53 PM
its the silver button at the end of your gear lever

sitta
27-10-2006, 01:53 PM
sorry adding again! you know whats annoying? i went to the beach once with my sister, it was fwd, we got stuck and the front wheel keep spinning n the back doing nothing i had to dig my way out of there with my hands!!

krogoth
27-10-2006, 02:07 PM
sorry adding again! you know whats annoying? i went to the beach once with my sister, it was fwd, we got stuck and the front wheel keep spinning n the back doing nothing i had to dig my way out of there with my hands!!

sitta, im sorry to disappoint u, but the crv is in the group known as fake four weel drives....if u wanted somthing to tackle the sand, u shooda gone for an explorer or a land cruieser or a range rover or somthing.....

crv, rav4 and others are meant to be vehicles that look like 4WD in the sense that they are high cars, but wen u take them to the outback they fail....

Alpine
28-10-2006, 10:36 AM
sitta, im sorry to disappoint u, but the crv is in the group known as fake four weel drives....if u wanted somthing to tackle the sand, u shooda gone for an explorer or a land cruieser or a range rover or somthing.....

crv, rav4 and others are meant to be vehicles that look like 4WD in the sense that they are high cars, but wen u take them to the outback they fail....

That is false information to a certain degree. On the contrary, the CR-V and other "light" SUVs do better on sand on the beach than the "real" 4WDs like Landcruisers and Range Rovers because they are much lighter. It is a common misconception. Driver technique is also a big part of it. I have first hand experience with our gen 1 CR-V on the sand and we drove straight past bogged 4Runners and Jeep Cherokees without a problem whatsoever. They are alot more capable than you realise.

As for the OP, you are most likely still running the original Bridgestone Duelers on your gen 2 2003 CR-V. The OEM Duelers are reknowned for being crap tyres. Noisy and lack of grip in such conditions. It has also happened to me going around a roundabout in the wet. I've changed over to Pirelli Scorpions and the difference was black and white. I am willing to bet that your experience was due to a combination of going too fast around the roundabout for the conditions and the OEM Duelers just couldn't cope. Change out your tyres to some good quality HT ones and you will feel the difference immediately.

keybanger
30-11-2007, 06:22 PM
you run pirelli scorpions on a CRV? They were chunky on my Triton!

aaronng
30-11-2007, 06:54 PM
If your CRV will stay on the street, just get road tyres like the ones used on sedans (as long as you meet or exceed the load and speed ratings).

You get better grip, lower noise and improved fuel consumption. Of course, don't bring your CRV to the beach with road tyres.