PDA

View Full Version : h23 prelude s burning oil and h23 swap info ???

Dxs
24-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey guys, my mate has a 92 prelude s. We put some 10-30w honda feo in it and now it is burning it. I was just wondering what weight people recommend we should put in it 20-40 ish??? to stop it burning while he can dig up some cash to get it fixed.

I have heard that h23's rings usually go before stem seals.. so we are guessing the piston ring/s are screwed.

Also he has had a quote for 3.5k to get a h22a put in it, his is manual so i guess just the engine and associated parts..
Anyone know how much roughly a h23 would cost to get put in/replaced.. just the engine.. Wouldnt it be quite cheap seeming as though no one wants h23's?

Eclipsor
24-10-2006, 09:40 PM
3.5k seems like a fairly good price for the h22a installed. I think the h23 has a different gearbox. Fits, but might have different ratio's. Plus the h22 might have the lsd. So if you get a gearbox for that price with the h22 I'd use that.

I imagine a h23 would be reasonably cheap yeah. Just call round some wreckers. Should be plenty of them around. Should probably try and get an engine that you can see running before you buy it though. Otherwise you might just end up with with another dud.

vtek
24-10-2006, 11:46 PM
your oil is too thin, use 20w50. Are you seeing blue smoke on start up or blue smoke when driving?

Dxs
25-10-2006, 12:14 AM
vtek.. it is def burning oil..
also he is strapped for cash and really doesnt want to spend anything
hence h22a is out of the question even @ 3.5k

just wondering if anyone had experience with h23 prices.. he might just have to call around

aaronng
25-10-2006, 12:16 AM
I'd use 10w-40 or 10w-50.

Int3gra-T
25-10-2006, 12:48 AM
not stealing a thread here,
but how much does it cost to change the rings/seals n stufF?

shecomb
25-10-2006, 10:35 AM
I was under the impression the Prelude s model came with a f22 sohc engine. The H23 is from an Si

Dxs
25-10-2006, 12:23 PM
my bad... it is h23 so i guess Si

he has the option of getting new rings.. but he has been told that the block will need to be bored a bit and then oversized rings be used. So that wont be cheap.. almost like an endless pit. Because if u are going to do rings, why not do bearings, then why not do the timing belt as well.. etc etc etc

vtek
25-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Its an old car, wont be suprised to see the bottom end going after the rebuild. He really has no choice but to either fix it or get rid of it, Im not sure what answer you are looking for.

Dxs
25-10-2006, 02:40 PM
well now that the oil weight has been solved..
just wondering if many have done h23 replaces..
but seems like no one has

mizterpozzi
25-10-2006, 11:11 PM
hey dxs... tis I. Spoke with honda wreckers guy today. He said that he could give me a refurb h23 for under 2grand (provided my block is in good condition) That includes fitting and a 3 month warranty. Plus a service at 3 months also.

I was thinking there.....you have the cost of RWC and advertising to sell it.
Then to buy another car you got transfer fee and stamp duty and probably rego too. So to get another car I may be lookin around a grand. That is even if it passed the RWC with its current emissions. May be worth doing the swap and going with it. Love the car and with the money I spent on rims etc already I would be gutted to part with it!!

Does anyone have thoughts on recon engines? H23.

Cheers:cool:

J2daW
12-11-2006, 05:57 PM
hey transmissions are the same: bolt straight up. conversion can be done in your garage and i def reccomend h22a. go to honda and photocopy the manual on the prelude, its at the back, how to remove and replace the motor. take ya bout a week just get a engine crane and ya gotta hook up the vtec to the new ecu