PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak .. Help !!!

TypeRice
25-10-2006, 02:26 PM
hey guys

just today for the very first time i noticed oil leaking from my car..

and i tested it by parking sumwhere and left my car there for 5 mins..
den i reverse it .. and went to look at da place i parked.. and it has drops of oil on the floor....

anyone know wat could be the problem?

could it be the gasket?

i checked the oil level and its fine though..

arghhh

SPEEDCORE
25-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Would it not even occur to you to have a look where it is comming from?

:rolleyes:

phantom_civic
25-10-2006, 02:30 PM
look at ur oil sump?
maybe the washer of the oil sump bolt needs replacing.
If not the oil sump then its ur head gasket.
also could ur sump gasket.

bennjamin
25-10-2006, 02:31 PM
id say the sump bolt is loose or needs a new washer.
Have alook under your car and see if u can find the source of the leak.

TypeRice
25-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Would it not even occur to you to have a look where it is comming from?

:rolleyes:

sorry yo.. i dont know wat to look at and shiet.. im noob !! =( ^^

destrukshn
25-10-2006, 02:38 PM
lol, at the bottom of the motor, you'll see a 17mm bolt. it's pointing to the rear.
look there if it's leaking from there.

Dxs
25-10-2006, 02:38 PM
... noob forum

TypeRice
25-10-2006, 07:44 PM
hey i was told my head gasket needs to be changed bcoz it shakes when the engine is on..

is that plausible?

Spunkymonkey
25-10-2006, 07:54 PM
mine was just leaking from the sump plug. Changed that and all fixed. Basically look at the big black thing (looks like a container lol) under the bottom of your car. You'll see a bolt. See if you notice any dripping from there.

panda[cRx]
25-10-2006, 08:07 PM
hey i was told my head gasket needs to be changed bcoz it shakes when the engine is on..

is that plausible?
the shaking could be a few things, even if your dizzy was gone could cause the car to shake

as for the leak, get out and HAVE A LOOK.
it could be something simple like a loose sump plug. have a look and tell us where the leak is so we can tell you what it is, if you could take a pic it'd be even better.

it doesn't really sound like your headgasket to me, more likely your rocker cover gasket or similar...just hope for your sake it isn't your rear main seal hehehe

TypeRice
25-10-2006, 08:09 PM
hey panda[cRx], does that require me to jack up my car and go under it?

panda[cRx]
25-10-2006, 08:15 PM
just pop your hood open and have a look around the actual engine with a torch. you shouldn't really need to jack it up to look underneath it, if the leak is the sump plug u should be able to see from the side.
(and if the car has been stationary, any drips on the ground should help u locate the leak)

Bayani
25-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Go to a Mechanic; just ask them to look it over. They'll let you know where to go from there.

panda[cRx]
25-10-2006, 10:31 PM
from the sounds of it he's clueless. it'd be a good idea for him to know what he's in for before he takes it in so they dont rip him off

aaronng
25-10-2006, 10:45 PM
LOL, looks like it's better that one of the Sydney forumers help point out to him where the leak his from.

chilli
25-10-2006, 10:59 PM
as others have stated, check the sump plug. It may even be loose? or need replacing. You should be able to put your head under the car and see what looks like a black metal rectangular shape (my car anyway) and have a look. Just touch around till you feel a bolt towards to back of it. If its really oily and dripping, then that might be the simple fix =]. Or i would suggest taking to a mechanic that you trust or a friend who knows about cars, and they could have a look for you.

lostdude
25-10-2006, 11:16 PM
hey dude, your engine is about to die, chuck the car out and buy a new car. :wave:

aaronng
25-10-2006, 11:22 PM
hey dude, your engine is about to die, chuck the car out and buy a new car. :wave:
Bad advice. Don't waste his time. Neg rep for you. :thumbdwn:

lostdude
25-10-2006, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=aaronng]Bad advice. Don't waste his time. Neg rep for you. :thumbdwn:[/QUOTE

What does negative rep mean? am i going to get shunned by the ozhonda community cause i have a difference of opinion? i thought this was a free country :o

RMN15N
26-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Well, type Rice if you dont know what your doing i suggest you just get ur mechanic to before it becomes a mess..
think about having a oil service while you are at it,
"IF" it is your sump plug/washer

or try popping the bonnet look at your engine number.. just on top of that is there any leaks btw?
have a look around and try to find the cause of the leak, take photos and post them up maybe?

JasonGilholme
26-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Have a feel around in the engine bay as well as under the car. Providing you don't unplug/undo anything you can't hurt your car.

If you end up with oil on your hads you've found your problem.

You may want to check your oil filter. which is usually at the back of the engine, kinda hard to get to but shove your hand back there and feel around.

Good luck mate.

EuroDude
26-10-2006, 10:05 AM
From what Ive gathered, common oil leak locations are:

Oil Filter (too loose or too old)
Rocker cover gasket (the large seal around the top of the engine)
CAM Seal, especially with DOHC engines.
Sump drain plug washer.

Sometimes its hard to locate an oil leak if the engine is filthy, so you may want to degrease the engine (cover the electrics, plugs, rocker cover, battery, and dizzy etc.. when you do) then have a drive and look for fresh oil.

If you see oil dripping from around the sump, trace the oil leak up to where its exiting the engine.

Use proper car stands if you are going to go under the car. Jacks can fail at any time without warning.

Keep the oil topped up. make sure the oil level never drops below "Min" unless you want the engine to seize up and fail.

destrukshn
26-10-2006, 10:07 AM
you can also use baby powder to find it.
lol.
really though.

panda[cRx]
26-10-2006, 05:18 PM
From what Ive gathered, common oil leak locations are:

Oil Filter (too loose or too old)
Rocker cover gasket (the large seal around the top of the engine)
CAM Seal, especially with DOHC engines.
Sump drain plug washer.

you forgot the always nasty rear main oil seal....will set you back a wallerful of cash as it takes ages to replace :(

TypeRice
21-11-2006, 07:17 PM
my friends had a look at the oil leak for me a few weeks ago.. by jacking up da car and going underneath to look... It is not the sump nut as its tight as!!!

but u no guys... thanks for all the input and advice, but its been like around a few weeks time since i first noticed an oil leak..
and at that time my oil level did drop significantly.. about 2cm in total...
however i have been checking my car everyday b4 i drive it.. and the oil level seems to now be at a constant level.. so hence no more leak..

kinda wierd eh??

does n e 1 have a logical explanation for this? PS my oil level is now around 2mm above the dot, which is constant at dat level for 2 weeks now... so i guess the leak of 2cm was bcoz it was forced to be leaked out bcoz it was too full???? i dunno ><

silver_screen
21-11-2006, 07:19 PM
having tight "nuts" (actually bolts) doesnt mean anything at all...

The gasket could have been crushed (too tight)

Too full doesnt leak out either. wash ur engine bay (degreaser) and then monitor the leak.. u will see where its comin frmo.. most usual leaks r from th rocker cover gaskets failing

muhhan
21-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Crush washers are supposed to be changed whenever the sump plug is undone. From memory the sump plug is only supposed to be done up to around 30ft-lbs. Most people don't replace the washer and just do the plug up extra tight. This is bad because it makes it damn hard to undo it the next time and could potentially lead to rounding of the bolt or stripping the thread. Crush washers are cheap so change them everytime you undo the sump plug.

The rocker cover gasket is another thing that is supposed to be changed every time the rocker cover is removed, which isn't all that often. So again anytime the rocker cover is removed replace the gasket and don't forget to put some gasket sealant on the corners where the cover curves to accommodate the camshaft.

silver_screen
21-11-2006, 08:34 PM
I never use gasket sealant on anything i work on (i work @ holden as a tech) apart from the commodores... The OEM stuff is so shit, that they leak from factory lol

Everything else thou ( European Design) does not leak when fitted correctly and in every case so far, i have never used gasket sealant. Never had a leak either.

Sump plug washers should b replaced every service for the very reasons muhhan gave.

The gasket i was talkin about was the actual Sump gasket (rare for a honda or any car to leak from here but u never know... mines leakin)

There r probably a few more places u could have sprung a leak.. Ive seen Head Gaskets leak without causin milkyness in ur oil or coolant system (common on commonwhores). Cant think of anything else at the moment...

Ah yer.. timing case seals leak but hondas dont have those.. (belt driven not chain)

RMN15N
21-11-2006, 09:42 PM
my friends had a look at the oil leak for me a few weeks ago.. by jacking up da car and going underneath to look... It is not the sump nut as its tight as!!!

but u no guys... thanks for all the input and advice, but its been like around a few weeks time since i first noticed an oil leak..
and at that time my oil level did drop significantly.. about 2cm in total...
however i have been checking my car everyday b4 i drive it.. and the oil level seems to now be at a constant level.. so hence no more leak..

kinda wierd eh??

does n e 1 have a logical explanation for this? PS my oil level is now around 2mm above the dot, which is constant at dat level for 2 weeks now... so i guess the leak of 2cm was bcoz it was forced to be leaked out bcoz it was too full???? i dunno ><

maybe u were on a slant mate.

phantom_civic
21-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Wats the color code for the oil?
Was the oil carbon fibre look alike??

RMN15N
21-11-2006, 09:47 PM
im pretty sure it was carbon fibre look alike maybe color code RF1010