PDA

View Full Version : Towbar - Does anyone have one?

corn_flakes
26-10-2006, 02:28 PM
just wondering if any of you euro owners have a towbar installed?

i'm thinking of installing a square hitch towbar after my car gets repaired...

protection from idiots bumping me, and so i can tow a trailer and a bike rack...

does anyone here have pics of euros with a towbar on it??

has anyone installed one? requires removal of rear bumper?

decided not to sell the euro and buy a cheaper car...i test drove some cars and they're friggin sh!t...

yfin
26-10-2006, 03:11 PM
protection from idiots bumping me, and so i can tow a trailer and a bike rack...

I used to have a tow on my old car - loved it. Saved me from so many parking scratches from inconsiderate drivers out there and I put bikes on the back.

I told a mechanic I wanted one for the Euro - he said it does help with cosmetic scratches but if you have a decent shunt from the rear you are at much more risk of a bent chassis. So I never installed one. Not sure how much of a risk it is but it put me off that is for sure.

But I think the genuine one for the euro is a removable kind yeah? The problem is the genuine one is almost $500. I'll see if I can find picks..

destrukshn
26-10-2006, 03:23 PM
yes i'm pretty sure you can take the tongue off.

yfin
26-10-2006, 03:28 PM
yes i'm pretty sure you can take the tongue off.
Yep, you definately can. At one point I asked around to see if I could get an easily removable tongue in the aftermarket tow bar scene - but none of them looked as neat and tidy as the OEM. Pity it is so expensive.

In the USA the tow pack is not even an option on the TSX - when asked dealers are generally saying "it is not recommended for this vehicle" and may void drivetrain warranty if fitted.

yfin
26-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Found some relatively crappy pics on Carsales. I don't think the first 2 pics are genuine as I am fairly sure the electrical connection is installed in the boot. 3rd pic looks OEM Honda.

There is also a pic of the tow cover in this catalogue:

http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/resources/file/eb44980bdfe17d6/AccordEuro_Accessories_Feb06.pdf

http://images.carsales.com.au/private/1596286.jpg

http://images.carsales.com.au/private/1596287.jpg

http://images.carsales.com.au/private/1601041.jpg

aaronng
26-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Don't you have to cut a hole in the rear bumper to install it on the Euro?

yfin
26-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Don't you have to cut a hole in the rear bumper to install it on the Euro?
Well it has been a while since I looked at this - but I was sure it connects from underneath the bumper. I even got under some strangers car in a shopping centre to take a look. lol :o

EuroDude
26-10-2006, 03:56 PM
wander if the rear under-lip option interferes with the tow bar lol
probably need to remove the lip first..

destrukshn
26-10-2006, 04:09 PM
i don't think you need to remove the lip.

aaronng
26-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Well it has been a while since I looked at this - but I was sure it connects from underneath the bumper. I even got under some strangers car in a shopping centre to take a look. lol :o
Ahh, the one I saw was not a Honda original accessory. It was aftermarket like the ones on Commodores. They cut a square hole in the rear bumper to fit.

albii
26-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Ahh, the one I saw was not a Honda original accessory. It was aftermarket like the ones on Commodores. They cut a square hole in the rear bumper to fit.
yuk.as if you ruin the car like that.

ZEi20T
26-10-2006, 05:20 PM
those aftermarket ones are capable of pulling more weight. mostly they are made by hayman-reece and they have a square attachment for the hitch.

the honda one i think will tow 500-600kg (i think i read that) but the hayman-reece one will tow to the max - i think thats been quoted at ~1500kg

tony1234
26-10-2006, 08:56 PM
just wondering if any of you euro owners have a towbar installed?

i'm thinking of installing a square hitch towbar after my car gets repaired...

does anyone here have pics of euros with a towbar on it??

has anyone installed one? requires removal of rear bumper?

decided not to sell the euro and buy a cheaper car...i test drove some cars and they're friggin sh!t...
Put a bullbar on the front and rear,that'll fix em!!!!

martizzle
30-10-2006, 10:20 AM
does any one know if having the towbar like in the picture above, affect the ability of getting the mugen rear lip for an 03 ? btw i do have an oem towbar, and if i can't fit the lip without removing there might be an oem towbar for sale :)

Tobster
31-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I have a Honda-fitted towbar on my car.

You can get the electrical socket connected either in the boot or at the rear. Mine was meant to be fitted in the boot, but was put on the rear -- and I never quite got around to getting it changed. The problem is that even if you put it in the boot, the bar still has a little bracket welded to it which sits to one side for connecting the socket.

The towbar is rated at 1200 kg. You can get heavier hitches connected aftermarket, but Honda don't advise it (and if you had a towing accident, you might not be covered). It's a removable hitch with a plastic cover and it's quite neat.

Because it sits just under the bumper, I doubt you'd fit it with a body kit lip or aftermarket bumper without cutting.

corn_flakes
31-10-2006, 10:07 AM
^ pics!

MiSloVic
31-10-2006, 10:26 AM
the tow bar can go with the OEM sports kit(as in the 06 Sports edition), without cutting.
had seen a few on the road.

martizzle
31-10-2006, 11:42 AM
that was the first time i looked at my tow bar. they obviously cut the bar just a little

Tobster
31-10-2006, 01:34 PM
I have an 06 and it fits without any cutting. I'll try and post a pic in a while.

corn_flakes
31-10-2006, 10:32 PM
that was the first time i looked at my tow bar. they obviously cut the bar just a little

i'd get the oem one or a hayman reece custom one just so i'd avoid cutting the bar...

don't like that idea...lol

martizzle
01-11-2006, 09:35 AM
i'd get the oem one or a hayman reece custom one just so i'd avoid cutting the bar...

don't like that idea...lol

yeah i don't like it too, you cant really notice that its cut but, only if you get underneath. i wouldn't do it aswell if i just bought a brand new euro. i got my euro 2nd hand for a good deal, it was the only luxury in vic available @ the time :p

tony1234
01-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Towbars don't look good on the Euro.You wouldn't get one unless you really needed it!!!

corn_flakes
04-11-2006, 08:36 PM
saw a euro with a towbar today...looked like the proper stock one...

doesn't look too bad IMO

ROBERT
06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I had an OEM one fitted when I purchased the car (July 06, at a cost of $370.00) with the electrical plug on a flying lead from inside the boot. The tow bar still had the bracket for the plug on it so I took the angle grinder to it and removed it. It looks much neater without the extra bracket. I always leave the tow bar off when not using it, no tools are necessary to do this, just your fingers.

Hoyle
13-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey Guys.

Just had my towbar fitted today (original Honda). I have a Euro Sports 06. No cutting of the trims was needed. It comes off and they provide a plastic cover over the top.

Here's a picture I took just before with the plastic cover on. Looks pretty neat!

http://rmcqualter.veritel.com.au/towbar.jpg

If you have any questions, let me know.

Now... where's that angle grinder...

martizzle
13-11-2006, 05:35 PM
take a pic from underneath... i don belive :eek:

Hoyle
13-11-2006, 08:13 PM
take a pic from underneath... i don belive :eek:

Will do soon, its a bit dark and wet outside now.

ROBERT
14-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Great looking cover for the tow bracket, I'll have to get one, how much was it? See picture of my bracket with the extra bit cut off, I used a 4" angle grinder with a cut off disk. I primed and top coated with black on the cut surface to prevent rusting.
I had a bit of trouble attatching the photo and now there is two and I can't seem to be able to delete one of them. (computor illiterate)

Hoyle
14-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Great looking cover for the tow bracket, I'll have to get one, how much was it?

It came with the towbar, suggest you go back to your Honda dealer and get it!

You may be computer illiterate, but I'm handyman-illiterate so I'll be getting my brother to help me with the angle-grinding!

ROBERT
14-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I went to the dealer spare parts department to ask about the plastic bracket cover and he said he thought it should have been supplied with the tow bar kit. My tow bar was fitted by the dealer when I bought the car. The parts manager is checking up on this, so I may get one for nix. I'll keep you posted, has anyone else got the cover, and was it supplied with the kit?

ROBERT
15-11-2006, 12:38 PM
The spare parts called me back to say that the plastic cover is in and will be supplied at no charge to me, excellent! He did not know if it should have been included with the original tow bar kit or not

CIGXM
15-11-2006, 03:23 PM
The spare parts called me back to say that the plastic cover is in and will be supplied at no charge to me, excellent! He did not know if it should have been included with the original tow bar kit or not

It is included, along with two d-links.

How do you remove the tow ball & tongue unit from the main tow bar. You obviously remove the red plastic thingy, but where to from there?

ROBERT
15-11-2006, 03:56 PM
After unscrewing the red plastic nut the bolt can be pushed down and out, maybe yours is stuck somewhat if it has not been removed for some in which case give the bolt a tap. Note that the bolt bottom flange has a flat milled into it and this has to locate properly into the bracket when refitting. Thanks for the info on the cover being part of the kit. I did get the two 'D' shackles though.