PDA

View Full Version : Mods & Warranty

Jazzabelle
26-10-2006, 08:58 PM
i was wondering... what kind of mods would be 'acceptable' on a new car, providing it will still be covered by the warranty?

Zdster
26-10-2006, 09:05 PM
I have moved this thread to the noob forum. Please look at the stickies at the top of the forum. Generally, as long as any warranty issues are as a result of the modification, it should not effect your warrenty.

AsH_
27-10-2006, 04:09 PM
i heard that any part that is aftermarket that is put on the car voids warranty... if they find out...

my friend gota evo9 and he said anything he does to the car vods warranty... hes got 5 year warranty so hes leaving it stock til it runs out...

aaronng
27-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Yes, if you install coilovers, your suspension warranty is void.
If you install an aftermarket ECU or piggyback, your engine warranty is gone too. Intakes are a grey area. Usually they void engine warranty too. Exhaust is pretty safe as you only void the exhaust warranty (since it is downstream from the engine). Aftermarket headunits and amps can void electrical warranty too. Basically, the dealer will say everything is good as long as it doesn't cause problems. But when there is a problem, they will most likely blame it on the mod.

Zdster
27-10-2006, 04:17 PM
i heard that any part that is aftermarket that is put on the car voids warranty... if they find out...

my friend gota evo9 and he said anything he does to the car vods warranty... hes got 5 year warranty so hes leaving it stock til it runs out...

He is wrong. Any aftermarket part that is put on the car may void your warranty.

Zdster
27-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, if you install coilovers, your suspension warranty is void.
If you install an aftermarket ECU or piggyback, your engine warranty is gone too. Intakes are a grey area. Usually they void engine warranty too. Exhaust is pretty safe as you only void the exhaust warranty (since it is downstream from the engine). Aftermarket headunits and amps can void electrical warranty too. Basically, the dealer will say everything is good as long as it doesn't cause problems. But when there is a problem, they will most likely blame it on the mod.

I disagree. As I have read/been told, you will only void your warranty if the part directly causes the fault. For example, if your wheel bearings go and you have an air intake installed, they cant void your warranty. However if your engine fills with water and you have an intake then the part has directly/indirectly caused the fault then your warrenty is void.

Edit: Now that I reread what aaronng has written, I think we are saying the same thing.

aaronng
27-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes, we are saying the same thing. LOL

But, say you have a rod fail due to manufacturing defects, it is a VERY likely chance that the dealer won't honour warranty if you have an aftermarket intake eventhough the intake did not cause or have a role in the failure.

AsH_
27-10-2006, 05:06 PM
may is it will...

they just dont want to admit it...

... saves them $$$... wen they see theres mods... driver pays...

Vinnie
27-10-2006, 05:07 PM
ide think any mods on a new car would be viewed suspiciously if there was a problem with the car... ive been told things such as using synthetic oil in a new honda immediately voids warranty and have heard of the entire warranty on an s15 being voided coz the guy installed a cat-back so it pays to be careful.

guess all u can do is read the fine print on the contract really closely so u dont get bitten later. u cood prob get away with an aftermarket air freshener tho :)

aaronng
27-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Synthetic oil on a Honda is ok. Someone got an e-mail reply from Honda Australia stating that as long as the oil exceeds FEO's standards it won't void warranty.

green_machine
27-10-2006, 08:01 PM
all dealerships use Synthetic oil even super synthetic oils

JaCe
29-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Are catback exhausts ok since you can always remove 'em?

With regards to warranty... I'm also wondering the same thing as the topic creator in terms of what can I do which won't screw me over in the long run. My friends said I shouldn't even get a K&N air filter for my Civic because it could void warranty should something go wrong.

Maybe as a tip; at least wait until after your first service before you do something- at least that way if anything does go wrong, you'll know about it sooner?