PDA

View Full Version : custom eg angel eyes

saxman
27-10-2006, 04:12 PM
so I'm working on a set of headlights for a guy out there... trying for a one of a kind look. He decided against this route, so I'm posting it up for others to see. I was trying to do something with UV ccfl rings to make it unique. Here's what I came up with.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/P1010069.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/P1010071-1.jpg

kraftycuts
27-10-2006, 11:57 PM
damn... thats pretty damn sweet...

not my style ... but looks pro

yourfather
28-10-2006, 12:04 AM
saxman = gangster

Sexc86
28-10-2006, 05:42 PM
****n awsome man! what did you acutally do to make it look like this?

saxman
28-10-2006, 06:10 PM
at this point, it's just a mock up, so the lights have been disassembled with the projectors/reflectors removed(to allow spacing and to convert the projectors for rhd use). All of the led hardware and angel eyes have been removed and replaced with a UV cold cathode flourescent tube. At this point, I just cut a piece of white paper to fit for the white... didn't want to paint the housing just for mock up.

ITEAZR
29-10-2006, 11:54 AM
yeah it looks pretty good dude

Silver_EH
29-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I have a set of angel eye headlights on my recently bought EH. The only prob is that the angel eye or 'halo' doesnt light up. We've opened them up to have a look and it doesnt seem to have a globe for the angel eye or 'halo'.
My best guess could be that its just there to look like one and it doesnt really light up. Only other prob is that they are supposed to be my parkers.. So in order to pass a r/w we had to make parkers.. :/ Quite confused..

saxman
29-10-2006, 07:07 PM
generally the angel eye has a pair of leds in the base... it's not really removable, etc. You should see a pair of wires going to them.

They tend to be EXTREMELEY low quality, and don't last all that long.

snzz
08-11-2006, 06:28 PM
that hot dude!!!1

kinez
09-11-2006, 07:00 AM
niceee work saxman!!! Looks professional.. I've sourced some for my car from America on ebay, pricey!! I can't attempt a home job though, don't know what i'm doing!! You know your stuff!!!

Silver_EH - Think you bought a dudd.... I'd take it back to the shop ya bought it from, if so.. hopefully you got a receipt!

XP02ED
09-11-2006, 08:00 AM
hey saxman how u do that maen! they look hot!

wouldnt mind DIY but with red LED

Silver_EH
09-11-2006, 08:58 AM
haha i wish i could, i just recently bought this car and they came with them. any ideas where i can can a decent pair from?

kinez
09-11-2006, 05:39 PM
send em 2 saxman :P

..na sorry, only know where to buy em!!! heaps of places these days!

Silver_EH
10-11-2006, 08:31 AM
ahh thats ok.. it would prob cost the same amout to send them to america as it would be to buy a new set lol.

saxman
10-11-2006, 11:46 AM
hey saxman how u do that maen! they look hot!

wouldnt mind DIY but with red LED
the idea here is to get away from LED's, as they're really a very poor choice. LED's are very sensitive to heat, so putting them directly in front of a halogen bulb is a very bad idea. I'm using a cold cathode flourescent tube here. You can get them in red though.

Kinez, be aware if you're ordering the lights from the states that the projectors will be set up for a left hand drive car. To use them on a right hand drive car safely/legally, the cut off shield in the projector needs flipped.

kinez
10-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Kinez, be aware if you're ordering the lights from the states that the projectors will be set up for a left hand drive car. To use them on a right hand drive car safely/legally, the cut off shield in the projector needs flipped.

thanx for the heads up saxman!!!! if only i knew what you were talking about, if i had em infront of me, i'd be able to interpret it somehow.

please do elaborate, i'd really need to know what/how it needs to be done.

so they'll arrive from usa, i'd need to open them up? sorry, where to from there?? cut off shield needs to be flipped?

please do reply and/or PM :D :thumbsup:

thanx.

saxman
10-11-2006, 05:00 PM
the cut off shield is inside the projector. To get to them you need to open up the headlight, remove the projectors, disassemble them, and flip the cut off shield around. It's a lot easier than it sounds, but it does involve heating the headlights to seperate the lens from the housing, etc.

kinez
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM
okkk i'm learning..

so to heat the headlights use? hair drier, oven, microwave, sit em next to a heater??

to get to the cut off shield, assuming there are a series of screws or clips to remove the projector?

when i reach the cut off shield, what does it look like, and do i just need to 'flip' it around?

what will happen if i recieve them from overseas, and just installed and use straight away?

sorry!! thanx

saxman
10-11-2006, 09:03 PM
I seperate my lights by putting them in the oven... at around 100c, for about 10 minutes. Be sure to remove anything you can first.

For there, the projectors are held in place by the adjusting screws sticking out the back... should be pretty self explanitory.

The cut off shield produces the cut off of the projector... gives the light a step to it. This allows more light on the passenger side of the car, and less light going into oncoming traffics' eyes. If you don't flip the shield, you'll being shining light into oncoming traffics' eyes, and not to the other side of the car where it's needed. Also will make the lights illegal.

Geo
10-11-2006, 10:44 PM
nice work

kinez
11-11-2006, 12:19 AM
thanx for all that!!! hmmm.. a diy article will definitely come of this!!!! let's see what happens when i get em... saved all this info to refer back to, propz to you ofcourse!!

thanx for all the help, i'm sure you'll hear from me again.. cos i'll be stuck, or broken somthin haha

XP02ED
11-11-2006, 10:20 AM
oo kinez, make a DIY, and ill try it then, for now im abit scared to *** my halos up,

oo cold cathode tubes, kool ill wait for the DIY ! make sure u got photos!

kinez
11-11-2006, 07:36 PM
oo cold cathode tubes, kool ill wait for the DIY ! make sure u got photos!

hey xpo2ed... i'll chuck up a diy for sure, if it's any interest to anyone.. but i'm not mucking around the cold cathode tubes like saxman, i'm more in the situation where i gotta changed something inside a set of headlights (projectors) from america to suite right hand drive. so the diy will be regarding that! photos will be provided :)