PDA

View Full Version : lovells (question updated)

XcOn
27-10-2006, 08:56 PM
hey guys im about to purchase a set of dc2 vtir lovells lowered springs for my dc2r . i was jus wandering are these springs any good? and would they fit on my dc2r ? do they handle betta than the stock ones? need ur advice and expertise guys
thanks
hey guys, after sourcing out all info bout the springs, i went to the mechanics and asked him if he could fit the springs in for me , he told me lovells springs are shit and every time u jack the car up the springs fall out of the cups and u would need sum1 to hold them in place before lowering the car dwn. is this true? im not sure becasue he was tryin to advertise king springs to me at the time wen i asked him to install the lovells.
can sum1 help me on this?
thanks

LEVIN GTV
29-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Lowered springs should theoretically result in better handling, and grip as the car is lower to the ground. They should increase the stiffness of the ride which should assist in cornering and take offs. The draw back of this being that the car will be bumpier along unlevel roads.

Lovells are better than King Springs. Often with a set of king springs low, the rear would sit a bit higher in the rear, than the front. However, I have heard that Lovells minimise this problem.

Overall a benefit should be had with these springs over stock. Together with a few other suspension items such as strut braces, sway bars etc, springs are a good value mod for your suspension and handling!

Hope that Helps
Cheers

XcOn
29-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Lowered springs should theoretically result in better handling, and grip as the car is lower to the ground. They should increase the stiffness of the ride which should assist in cornering and take offs. The draw back of this being that the car will be bumpier along unlevel roads.

Lovells are better than King Springs. Often with a set of king springs low, the rear would sit a bit higher in the rear, than the front. However, I have heard that Lovells minimise this problem.

Overall a benefit should be had with these springs over stock. Together with a few other suspension items such as strut braces, sway bars etc, springs are a good value mod for your suspension and handling!

Hope that Helps
Cheers

thanks man . one other thing is, the person sellin these springs had these on his dc2 vtir, would this fit on to my dc2r?
thanks

LEVIN GTV
29-10-2006, 11:03 PM
No idea mate. Check the Lovells website, or ring up a Lovells distributor. Think that is your best bet!

XcOn
30-10-2006, 07:31 AM
thanks

T-onedc2
31-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Yes VTi-R spring will fit ITR shocks but VTi-R shocks won't fit ITR chassis.

Also, changing only the springs will not really result in better handling, it will lower the cars' centre of gravity and decrease body roll as a result but lower springs have a higher rate and require a stronger shock/damper to stop them moving, therefore you'll find the car will bounce a little and take longer to settle after compressing. It's potentially dangerous depending on condition of shocks and definitely not ideal, I strongly recommend upgrading shocks with springs at the very least before sway bars and braces etc.

p.s. after having stock ITR suspension, you will be disappointed with most aftermarket setups, if it was me I'd be looking at Spoon progressive springs which are suited to ITR shocks and ride lower.

XcOn
01-11-2006, 08:03 AM
thanks for the tip T-onedc2

T-onedc2
01-11-2006, 06:46 PM
no probs :thumbsup:

LEVIN GTV
01-11-2006, 07:58 PM
PQ point for you!

XcOn
01-11-2006, 09:35 PM
PQ point for you!

point for me?

LEVIN GTV
01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
no dude, T-one DC2

XcOn
02-11-2006, 02:53 PM
topic and question updated.
thanks

T-onedc2
02-11-2006, 06:03 PM
hey guys, after sourcing out all info bout the springs, i went to the mechanics and asked him if he could fit the springs in for me , he told me lovells springs are shit and every time u jack the car up the springs fall out of the cups and u would need sum1 to hold them in place before lowering the car dwn. is this true? im not sure becasue he was tryin to advertise king springs to me at the time wen i asked him to install the lovells.
can sum1 help me on this?
thanks
If the springs fall out it's no reflection on the quality of the spring. The spring is simply too short for the shock it is fitted to. Infact if the shock completely extends during driving, the spring could jump out at any time, very dangerous.

If you wanna go that low then get shocks that are short enough to suit (if they're available) or pay a bit more and get coilovers.

XcOn
02-11-2006, 06:18 PM
If the springs fall out it's no reflection on the quality of the spring. The spring is simply too short for the shock it is fitted to. Infact if the shock completely extends during driving, the spring could jump out at any time, very dangerous.

If you wanna go that low then get shocks that are short enough to suit (if they're available) or pay a bit more and get coilovers.

i drive a dc2r with stock shock absorbers. im planning to put the lovells springs which should lower the car about 30-40mm. would this be a risk?
will these shocks suit these springs?]
thanks

T-onedc2
02-11-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't know from experience but wouldn't think so. I've found some cars need to lose 50mm + to have this problem. Won't know until you try though, out of interest how much are you paying for them? A set of Spoon progressives can be had for as little as $500-$700ish and are designed to fit the shocks and lower the car 40mm and look very nice.

XcOn
02-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't know from experience but wouldn't think so. I've found some cars need to lose 50mm + to have this problem. Won't know until you try though, out of interest how much are you paying for them? A set of Spoon progressives can be had for as little as $500-$700ish and are designed to fit the shocks and lower the car 40mm and look very nice.

well i only paid $50 for a set of second hand lovells
which are valued at $400. other than that i dun wanna spend to much

T-onedc2
02-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Well if Spoons fit then the Lovells should be fine.

XcOn
02-11-2006, 06:42 PM
thanks for the help man
ill tell uhow it all goes next week wen i get them fitted

T-onedc2
02-11-2006, 06:45 PM
:thumbsup:

LEVIN GTV
02-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Get A Room You Too!!!