PDA

View Full Version : shift linkage swaying problem

vinnY
28-10-2006, 04:16 AM
strange obversation while driving tonight, i've notice that when i get off the throttle i can feel the gear stick swaying back and forth slightly in any gear

anyone experience this or know what the cause is?
my initial thought is broken engine mount but i'm not too sure.

using a ek9 shift linkage and i don't think its ever done that before
also replaced bushes with energy suspension ones

bennjamin
28-10-2006, 08:56 AM
the shift linkage is LOOSE. Fix promptly.

It needs to be reinstalled properly into its rubber bush/housing underneath.
You need to jack up car on jack-stands , get 2 x 12mm spanners + a 12mm socket + ratchet and get under there and have alook...

ECU-MAN
28-10-2006, 10:23 AM
as the gearbox moves back and forth in the engine bay under acceleration and deceleration the shift linkage moves with it.

if you have worn engine mounts or something loose this will be amplified and you will notice it.

vinnY
28-10-2006, 10:56 AM
thats the thing, i checked the bolts 2 nights ago and they're all fine, guess i can have another poke around today, will report my findings

not going to be good if its the engine mounts :( any idea how much are replacements? i think after 170,000k's the mounts have had more than enough

bennjamin
29-10-2006, 06:23 PM
open ur bonnet whiel the car is off , and grab the back of the inlet manifold with your arms ~ and pull the engine back and forth. A busted rear engine mount or lower front torque moutns will let the engine "move" significantly forward and back.

typercivic
30-10-2006, 03:41 PM
hey

my rear lower engine mount snapped about a month ago when i was on the freeway and the gearshifter was all over the place. It happened when i was giving a bit of a hard time and the mechanic said cos its the bigger engine and more strain the engine mount sorta just gave up.

vinnY
02-11-2006, 12:22 AM
well it looks like my shifters back to normal by itself, though i did confirm that my rear mount is still okay, though a friends ek4 mounts aren't what they used to be

anyone have any idea how much a set of mounts cost? will look into replacing mine in the near future, and finally put in the energy suspension mount fillers i bought about 6 months ago :p