PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild h22a

cuongn
28-10-2006, 10:09 AM
just wondering would anyone no:

: how much would a full rebuild "includes all parts" for a prelude 99- vti-r cost?
: where would be the best place for it to be done,
: how long would it take.
: would it save you more petrol when its done.

Brash22
31-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Cost is up to you, are you just rebuilding with stock parts, or getting new bits and pieces, pistons, rings, rods, cams, etc?

Time is up to how busy the workshop is, or if you're a preferred customer or not, but I've known professionals to have a race engine built in a couple of days.

Fuel saving is unlikely, because you'd probably drive the thing harder, knowing that it has a little bit more. But I spose it's possible.

mj3610
01-11-2006, 10:21 PM
you can get diff rebuild kits from the states, call up diff places in sydney (inc honda) give them the full list of things to be done and tell them to call you back with a price.

jayjaydo
05-11-2006, 12:45 AM
pretty pricey mate...some on prelude australia have jsut done bearings and pistons and it was about 5g. Not cheap my friend. A whole engine rebuild with new crankshaft, cams, valve trains etc will be in excess of 10g.

CUL8R
05-11-2006, 12:50 PM
if your gonna e spending that kinda money on a rebuild u may aswell get some performance pieces rather than stock.
i have a friend in the process of building an animal h22, including sleeving i think itll be around the 10k mark

how long would it take? a fair while, i dont know from experiance but it will also depend on the quality of work.

where? dynodave is the biggest name in building hondas, he'll be the ideal man for the job.

save petrol? well maybe with all new parts and a good tune it wouldnt supprise me, but if u drive with a heavy foot itll be the complete opposite

WPN.22R
05-11-2006, 01:43 PM
engine can be in your car and fully tuned within 2 weeks. as long as all the parts are in stock and ready to go!

hit me up with a pm with what you have planned.

mj3610
07-11-2006, 02:35 PM
i just noticed that, no offense but its pretty silly to consider if it'll help u save petrol when ur forking out 10g on a 12g car...

UR34DY
14-11-2006, 10:07 PM
just wondering would anyone no:

: how much would a full rebuild "includes all parts" for a prelude 99- vti-r cost?
: where would be the best place for it to be done,
: how long would it take.

1. Is there anything wrong with your motor? for you wanting this rebuild?
2. 1-2 weeks depening on what you want
3. If you want to make fuel economy abit better you don't need to rebuild your WHOLE motor. simply recondition your cylinder head and cleaning your injectors will achieve this.

unless your blowing out blue smoke or hearing knocking noises from your motor then you don't require one.

If you want work done give me a pm.

Cold Fusion
14-11-2006, 11:10 PM
go for it! money isnt everything haha

cuongn
16-11-2006, 02:53 PM
nahh just that the engine eats alot of petrol and i was wondering if i rebuilt it, would it save more petrol. if a rebulit cost that much, y not buy another engine from japan and put it in, it would be much cheaper, i've lookd in the HPI magazines and i found a h22a for $990, just the engine its self.

jdmkid91
16-11-2006, 03:18 PM
The choice is up to you dude,What you want done to your car is your choice,But also take some tips from the boys on here :)

My 2cents.

grumpy rooster
16-11-2006, 04:00 PM
engine can be in your car and fully tuned within 2 weeks. as long as all the parts are in stock and ready to go!

hit me up with a pm with what you have planned.

Thats fairly optimistic with machinists the way they are. I'd be planning on it being double that time. Speaking from experience here.

But if the guy is just looking to reduce fuel costs I'd be taking it to a workshop with a dyno so they can put it on and check out your AFR's. They may be way rich because of a problem somewhere.

Slow96GSR
17-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Actually rebuilding the whole motor WILL save gas if you build to stock specs. It's all about new seals. The old motor I bet has some blow by and I bet some fuel leaks elsewhere too. But the loss of pressure does affect the fuel economy of the car. I noticed even on my performance builds with out the turbo I was using less gas than before the build. If you build high performance like I did you won’t save a lot in the end but sticking with stock parts will save you money.

The time it takes to rebuild and price is all in what you do, where you go, and what is in stock. Average rebuild with new valve train and new pistons and rods, along with all new seals, rings, and gaskets is about $5,500USD/$7,100AUD. It takes us about 4 weeks as we don't stock everything and we do send some stuff out for coatings. No coatings and if we have it in stock, like for GSR/ITR/CTR builds it takes 2.5 weeks in and tuned.

cuongn
17-11-2006, 09:37 AM
where would be the best to get it dyno tune around liverpool and sdyney area

cuongn
17-11-2006, 09:39 AM
how can they make a car save more fuel by using a dyno tunes wats the go with that anyone no,

Slow96GSR
17-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Dyno tuning will allow you to set all the features of the motor with respect to hp/tq, timing, cam settings, and anything else that is adjustable. If you have a perfectly tuned motor you should have good hp/tq and have good idle and fuel usage. Just doing it on street or in shop can actually help the fuel economy and idle but may result in a lack of hp/tq.

CUL8R
17-11-2006, 08:17 PM
where would be the best to get it dyno tune around liverpool and sdyney area
if i were u i wouldnt go past dyno dave in syd, redline motorsports, hit em up. go and talk to them. ull get more info than u will here

*not taking anything away from slow96gsr* he knows his shit, but the sounds of it u need a full crash course on modifying/rebuilds/tuning, it will take alot of reading on the net

Slow96GSR
18-11-2006, 03:30 AM
Ya, I hate typing! Go to a local shop and see what you can get. Then if you have questions they can answer them. If they can't, contact the manufacture or look at their web site and see what they have on it for info. Most people forget about the manufacture and don't realize all the info you need can be given by the them. Forums should be your last place to get info.

cuongn
20-11-2006, 09:05 AM
man ur crazy, seen does pictures, u sure no alot of shit.

WPN.22R
26-11-2006, 08:18 PM
. . . . .

WPN.22R
26-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Thats fairly optimistic with machinists the way they are. I'd be planning on it being double that time. Speaking from experience here.

But if the guy is just looking to reduce fuel costs I'd be taking it to a workshop with a dyno so they can put it on and check out your AFR's. They may be way rich because of a problem somewhere.

comes in handy when your builder also has his own machine shop!:p

yeah good idea putting it on a dyno and a bit of tuning looked at. could even be your O2 sensor?? that could be whats making it run rich??

check that first!

cuongn
26-11-2006, 10:07 PM
would anyone no any honda tuning place where i can go to, to dyno my car??anywhere near liverpool, max 30kms away.

WPN.22R
27-11-2006, 10:21 AM
yes is blacktown... i seriously think you should have your O2 sensor checked first.

instead of spending $$ on a dyno tune, which can be costly.

send me a PM or find me at preludeaustralia.com

cuongn
27-11-2006, 08:15 PM
can i just go to any place to get my os sensor check or there is a special place where i need to go.?

Mitchman
03-12-2006, 02:43 PM
i replaced mine a month ago, $100 just drive your car up on to sumthing like 250mm high and slide on under unbolt cut wires crimp new ones on and screw in.. dadah.. done! any mechanic/auto electrician should be able to do it. expect $200+ or so to replace it unelss u knwo the guy. IMO do it yourself took me 2 hours n $100