PDA

View Full Version : Fun with OBDII? (06 Civic)

Curtisator
29-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Hey all,

I've been lurking here for a while and recently purched a 06 VTi. I was wondering if people have had success using the OBDII port in this year's model? I'm looking at maybe picking up a Scangauge II (http://www.scangauge.com/), or perhaps a more felixble OBDII/PC solution for shits and giggles and I'm hoping someone else has been able to get (US) standard codes out of their car. I understand that OBDII compliance became mandatory in Aus in Jan 2005, so here's hoping it's the same OBDII as the US uses...

Cheers :)

dannybubu
30-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Hey all,

I've been lurking here for a while and recently purched a 06 VTi. I was wondering if people have had success using the OBDII port in this year's model? I'm looking at maybe picking up a Scangauge II (http://www.scangauge.com/), or perhaps a more felixble OBDII/PC solution for shits and giggles and I'm hoping someone else has been able to get (US) standard codes out of their car. I understand that OBDII compliance became mandatory in Aus in Jan 2005, so here's hoping it's the same OBDII as the US uses...

Cheers :)

what is the OBDII??? and what does it do?

Curtisator
30-10-2006, 10:29 AM
OBDII (or OBD2 or OBD-II, it stands for On-Board Diagnostics) is a communications protocol built into most recent cars. It provides access to engine troubleshooting codes (as used by mechanics), as well as real-time sensor data such as air-intake temperature, RPM, KPH, fuel consumption, etc. The Scangauge I linked hooks into the OBDII port (located just above the drivers left knee) and displays some, or all of this information.

The thing is, the car has to be compatible with the correct standard for it to work. In the US, OBDII has been standard in cars since 1996 while in Australia, it's a fairly recent addition. Also there are many non-standard OBDII protocols that are particular to a region that don't work with equipment from the US. I was just hoping someone had used something like the Scangauge recently with success.

Encor3
30-10-2006, 08:46 PM
is there any other tools out there besides scangauge?

ECU-MAN
30-10-2006, 10:30 PM
their are lots of cool OBDII programs avalible.

I looked into doing this as well, but could not find a resonably priced cable on ebay that would work with the software I was looking at.

dannybubu
30-10-2006, 10:36 PM
so how do we know if it'll work with the australian civic???
and how much are we looking at?

ECU-MAN
30-10-2006, 10:40 PM
it should work.

problem is I just dont know until I try it. if it works, woohoo, if not $100 down the drain.

other things that I know wont be a waist of money have been a priority. when I get some spare $, I want to try this out.

by all means let us know if you get any success out of it.

what exacly where you looking at.

aaronng
30-10-2006, 10:42 PM
I have an OBD II scanner. With my PDA (and dodgy retrofitted serial cable), it works sometimes and after a while it just stops refreshing. I still haven't tried with a laptop yet. I'll try it next week.

BTW, the info you get out of it is limited.
For the Euro, I get speed, RPM, throttle position, intake pressure/vacuum, intake temperature, coolant temperature, ignition timing advance, short term fuel trim, engine load and oxygen sensor reading. And of course, CEL codes (if stored).

The only useful one is Intake Air Temperature and CEL codes.

Curtisator
31-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Yeah, not sure if there are other similar tools to the Scangauge out there. I think I'm leaning towards a more generic scan tool, like this one (http://www.scantool.net) that I can plug a PC/PDA into. I'll pick something and let people know how I'm getting on. If it doesn't work, well I guess there's always eBay. :)

dannybubu
31-10-2006, 08:15 AM
lol ebay is the way to go now a days!! :) hahaha...can't we just replace this instrument with gauges?? i mean the OBDII would look sick but if it's not that useful....not much point in having it yeh?

panda[cRx]
31-10-2006, 12:39 PM
i mean the OBDII would look sick but if it's not that useful....not much point in having it yeh?

uh... yeah the 'obdII would look sick'

gotta love noobs (-_-)

aaronng
31-10-2006, 12:53 PM
LLOLOLOLOL.... My car is sick because it has a metal crankshaft!

xenfacta
01-11-2006, 07:12 AM
I have an OBD II scanner. With my PDA (and dodgy retrofitted serial cable), it works sometimes and after a while it just stops refreshing. I still haven't tried with a laptop yet. I'll try it next week.

wat u using? i want to get one that will work on a pda

dannybubu
01-11-2006, 08:54 AM
mmm pda's...so you reckon it's better to get gps or pda which can use both gpa and OBDII??

aaronng
01-11-2006, 09:07 AM
As long as your pda supports a serial port (proper RS-232), then it will work. My pda has a custom serial port, so it is less reliable.

If your pda has bluetooth, the an OBD II scanner that outputs to BT serial profile would be ideal. Car Pal is one such unit, but it costs AU$299 shipped from the UK.

aaronng
01-11-2006, 09:12 AM
mmm pda's...so you reckon it's better to get gps or pda which can use both gpa and OBDII??
Trying to understand what you are asking... You mean, is it better to get a separate GPS or to get a PDA so that you can use both the OBD II scanner and GPS on it?

If you plan to use BOTH at the same time, then get a separate GPS. You can't display both GPS maps and OBD II info at the same time on a PDA. Also, BT serial profile allows only 1 serial device to be connected at a time.

dannybubu
01-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Trying to understand what you are asking... You mean, is it better to get a separate GPS or to get a PDA so that you can use both the OBD II scanner and GPS on it?

If you plan to use BOTH at the same time, then get a separate GPS. You can't display both GPS maps and OBD II info at the same time on a PDA. Also, BT serial profile allows only 1 serial device to be connected at a time.

thanks man...needed the info

Curtisator
04-11-2006, 10:00 AM
For those interested, a quick update:

I picked up an Elmscan 5 from the local distributor about the middle of the week, plugged it in, and it worked great. It detected the car was running a CAN protocol adhering to the European OBD version of the standard. I'm getting a range of sensor information, from the usuals (RPM, speed) to absolute throttle position, engine load, manifold pressure, mass air flow, O2 sensors, coolant temperature, air intake temperature and quite a few others. I think I can get enough information out of the car to calculate things like instantaneous and average fuel consumtion in real time, though I might have to try my hand at altering a program like OBD Gauge if I want a proper trip computer.

It seems that most of the software out there is fairly basic. I ended up buying PCMScan as well because it offered data logging/playback and seems the most feature rich for the moment. It's been a fun project so far, and started me thinking about a carputer project (like this one (http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67759&page=9&highlight=2006+civic)). I can dream. :)

dannybubu
04-11-2006, 10:22 AM
mmm...how'd you get that into the civic?? is urs the US version?? :S

clayton4115
08-02-2007, 11:57 AM
does anyone know if the ODB11 will work on the 7th Generation 2005 Honda civic.

thanks

aaronng
08-02-2007, 12:13 PM
does anyone know if the ODB11 will work on the 7th Generation 2005 Honda civic.

thanks

Yes, cars after 2001 are surely OBDII (certain brands use different connectors and languages, so you need a different version of the device for those). But your car will work with these OBDII scanners.

aaronng
08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
For those interested, a quick update:

I picked up an Elmscan 5 from the local distributor about the middle of the week, plugged it in, and it worked great. It detected the car was running a CAN protocol adhering to the European OBD version of the standard. I'm getting a range of sensor information, from the usuals (RPM, speed) to absolute throttle position, engine load, manifold pressure, mass air flow, O2 sensors, coolant temperature, air intake temperature and quite a few others. I think I can get enough information out of the car to calculate things like instantaneous and average fuel consumtion in real time, though I might have to try my hand at altering a program like OBD Gauge if I want a proper trip computer.

Is your reader a serial port one? If you are in sydney, would you mind trying out my OBDII reader to see if it works fine on your car?

clayton4115
08-02-2007, 12:33 PM
hi thx but more importantly will scangauge work ? www.scangauge.com (http://www.scangauge.com)

regards

aaronng
08-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Yup, that works.

clayton4115
08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
thanks for your prompt reply !

clayton4115
08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
another question, where can i find this connector in the vehicle?

aaronng
08-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Somewhere under the steering column. On mine, is it on the right side, above the bonnet release. I've seen cars with the connector on the left side next to the centre console, and another car with the connector underneath a panel near the handbrake.

clayton4115
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
ok thanks for your help will check it out when i get my civic tomorrow !