PDA

View Full Version : Shifter bushing for EF8.. same as another honda?

Dxs
30-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Ok, i DONT mean the bushings you can get from Energy suspention and such...
i mean the two little ones..

http://i13.tinypic.com/2q01x1g.jpg
The above diagram is for a d16 crx.. but i am guessing it is basically the same setup as the EF8 b16a1???

So i want to replace these bushings to see if it smoothens up the gearshifting a tad.. i am just wondering if any other bushings will fit from other cars.. say a gen3 crx?

anyone know?

Dxs
31-10-2006, 03:10 PM
ok, i order the 4 o rings and the bushing to the left.. my guess and the guy at honda, was that the thing on the right is a metal collar.. not a bushing.. so i didnt order that.. i was like 20 bucks as well :/

guys on hondatech say the ef8 is the same as the ed bushings in that area.. and the vtec ef8 suppliment has no diagrams for shift linkage, so i presume it is the same.

they are however different to other b series setups.. like the 96 integra has a different bushing setup in there

when they arrive i will do a little update incase anyone may find this thread later and wants to know the conclusion

ECU-MAN
31-10-2006, 07:54 PM
integra has a longer bush

you chould be fine with a crx one

Dxs
31-10-2006, 07:56 PM
ecu-man.. do u know if the bushing on the right in the diagram is actually a metal collar?

Dxs
01-11-2006, 02:23 PM
typical..
just found that cusco make a whole bushing set for ef8 shifter
http://bag12pr000.auc.bbt.yahoo.co.jp/users/0/1/6/8/taemami2000-imgbatch_1161941741/250x172-2006102700001-10.jpg

but dylanamus is probably gonna buy it.. (140bucksish)
so if u see dylan, and he is like "yo, check out my rare cusco shifter bushing set". You go "that's dxs's find knobba".

crxtasy
01-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey Dxs. The Collar(rear joint bushing) on the right is a hard plastic material it has four internal grooves for the o-rings to line up with, the rear joint bushing on the left is a metal collar that the o-rings slide onto..then this slides into the hard plastic bushing..then you slide the whole thing into the bottom of the shifter.
I have done this on mine and it made a little improvenent.

When you have your linkage off you should check this part as mine has a fair bit of play, it has plastic bushings that have worn and they don't look replaceable. I think this is a major factor in the side to side play in the lever.

The D16 setup is exactly the same as EF8 except for the extension end rubber.

ECU-MAN
01-11-2006, 10:21 PM
ecu-man.. do u know if the bushing on the right in the diagram is actually a metal collar?

as above dude

crxtasy
01-11-2006, 10:27 PM
This pic might explain it better.

Dxs
01-11-2006, 11:28 PM
thanks mate,

so bushing on left is metal.. 4 O-rings go onto that.. so i shouldnt change this.
joint to the right is a plastic cyclinder that goes over the metal with 4 O-rings .. and i should replace this..

so basically i have ordered the metal one instead of the plastic one (which i should have ordered)
?correct?

and the one you circled in red needs replacing.. but honda dont supply that as a part..

i also have energy suspention dohc shifter bushing.. which has the 'extention mount rubber' and the 'extention mount rubber' for the 'torque rod' those should fit i presume by looking at the pic too?

(rep point for you too)

crxtasy
02-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi Dan, yeah you understood right and yes you have ordered the metal one instead of the plastic one.:(

If you have allot of side to side play then the one i circled in red would be the culprit, but to replace it you need a whole new shift rod.

With the energy suspension bushings, the extension mount rubber will definitely fit.. not sure about the extension end rubber. If the end rubber looks like this one it will fit... http://www.shopresponse.com/energy_suspension_shifter_stabilizer_bushing_set_d ohc.html

Thanks for the rep point, glad to be a help.:thumbsup:

Dxs
02-11-2006, 10:44 AM
cheers mate,
going to honda now to rectify my order..
shitty day to work on the car though (damn wet)

Dxs
02-11-2006, 08:16 PM
had a look at the irreplaceable joint/bushing.. mine has less than 1mm of play when moved (not extreme force put on it though)..

so it isnt too bad.. i dunno how stuffed yours is though..