PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Coilovers/Sleeve-Overs??

Dominik
29-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Hi guys, i am looking at options for lowering my car. Searching on Ebay i found alot of these coilover kits which are basically sleeves which sit on the stock perch, and allow some adjustment of the height. I do realise that you get what you pay for (these kits are selling for as little as US$40!), but how bad are these kits???

Has anyone here tried using one of these kits? I am not lowering my car to increase the cornering ability; i will admit that i just want to do it for looks 8)

So if i am willing to accept poor cornering for looks, would these suit me?

Honda-tech.com mentioned that GroundControl makes good sleeve-over kits (actually improve performance), but they are also a fair bit more...

Any comments? would love to hear comments from those with first hand experience...

McChook
29-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Basically, as you said, you get what you pay for - sometimes...
Personally, I would buy a set of second hand springs before I bought an Ebay Special...... Hell, I'd buy second hand Pedders before I bought one of those kits

But, that doesn't answer you question, so here goes
My mate bought a kit like this for his ED civic - he figured it was worth a shot. First problem was the person installing it laughed when he saw what was going in... Anyway, driving out of the driveway, it was scraping its ass - and it was set on the highest height - and had 1mm of adjustability - so that was a big problem. Other problems included, as a result of the height, camber and tyre wear, and one rediculous spring rate - King superlows are softer than these things - which was extremely uncomfortable and very hard to drive - it was riding the bumpstops.

The final problem with them was the issue with them dying a horrible death. At the fate of a rock in the national park, the shock head was found punched through the bonnet....

poid
29-05-2004, 10:34 AM
dude, trust me, you do NOT want those sleeves. I bought some Ractive ones for like $500 and they didnt even fit (had i put them on, the sleeve would have shattered because of the way it was sitting). Luckily i bought them from a good retailer and could return them.

How low do you want to go?

A'PEXi
29-05-2004, 10:46 AM
lol i dont think buying from ebay is a good idea.... not sure about you :D

Dominik
29-05-2004, 01:55 PM
As low as this photoshopped pic:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=606

But the problem is, i still want to be able to raise it some times... See, my last car was a Soarer, and that had adjustable airbag suspension standard; it has made me expect too much i think...

But what McChook said has made me rethink this idea. Strut through the bonnet? No thanks!!! And imagine i was doing 110km/h when it happened??

Someone has offered me some kings superlows second hand, so i think i'll try that first... Anyone got pics of Accords on Superlows?

mo
29-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Is this low enough?

http://www.test.nice.com.au/ed/photos/ozhonda_18-04-04/images/ozhonda_18-04-04%20018.jpg

Dominik
29-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Yep, thats pretty much exactly how low i want... But me thinks that is a different car to mine :)

Is that how low SuperLows are?

poid
29-05-2004, 02:33 PM
well, this is the height my springs/shocks are:

http://poida27.customer.netspace.net.au/DSC00011.JPG

And at that height, i found it to be undrivable, so i put it up half an inch

Dominik
29-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Really, damn... Thats pretty much how i want mine... What do you mean 'undrivable'? What kind of ground clearance would you have?

mo
29-05-2004, 04:09 PM
For the springs on the civic, Ask "Mr. Plow" I forgot his username lol.

razaman
29-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Someone has offered me some kings superlows second hand, so i think i'll try that first... Anyone got pics of Accords on Superlows?

Kings don't come in superlows for the cd series accord.

You can download their catalog here:
http://www.kingsprings.com/Kings%20Master%20Catalogue%20041103.pdf

Raz

CHU85
29-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Dont even think about buying these things!!!!!!
They have the most horrible ride in the world and they are really soft!!!!!!
Please don't buy them! I had them in my car for a total of 5 mins and took them off.

poid
29-05-2004, 07:38 PM
at that height, i would have had 50mm clearance at the lowest part of the exhaust. When i raised it slightly, i had 65mm clearance but then i wasnt hitting the road anymore so it was perfectly fine.

Both those settings were using the same springs and Koni yellows, the rear of the car can do down another 15mm or so from what you see in that pic

Dominik
30-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Chub5, that warning sounds ominous enough! haha I guess the old addage "you get what you pay for" is still correct...

Poid, is that the stock exhaust? Dammit, why does this car have such a low floorplan but such enormous fenders??? I guess i'll go for the height you have your car at now then (i'm guessing you have coilovers right?)

I'll confirm with the guy about the superlows

toE
30-05-2004, 02:51 AM
razaman's rite. the King Springs dun come in superlows for the CD accords...unfortunately.

toE
30-05-2004, 02:54 AM
your best bet would be to get Kmac springs.
get the peeps at Kmac to custom-make a "superlow" spring. :)
poid can fill u in on this.

poid
30-05-2004, 03:04 PM
yeh man, thats with the stock exhaust. With the new exhaust i have had to raise it further.

They arent coilovers, they are 2.5" lowered Kmac springs and Koni Yellows. I have another set of coilovers now, so if they work out i'll be getting rid of these springs and the Koni's anyway

Calvo
30-05-2004, 03:10 PM
if u want superlows, tanabe make superlows for 5th gen accords, i dunno where to buy em from but some ppl have them. if u want some fotos, ask Spoon-Accord for some of his navy blue accord. he used to have superlows in it.

poid: how much u lookin at for the koni's?? :D, im very interested.

poid
30-05-2004, 03:37 PM
dunno how much i want calvo, i gotta think about it i guess

Spoon-Accord
30-05-2004, 04:56 PM
http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/a7ff36e5.jpg

there u go..
dam imiss this look..
looks nice and simple

:D

Ken

Dominik
30-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Oh, thats nice! But i think i'd have trouble getting some of those.

Poid, if Calvo wants the Koni's, can i get dibs on the springs? :)