PDA

View Full Version : Engine Jolts when backing off accelerator/changing gear?

Andrew21
31-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Guys not a major problem but something i'd like to fix.

Now my car has a few k's on her and one thing i noticed is once your accelerate from say.. 1st -->2nd there is a jolting feeling from the front of the car ( pressume gbox).
This also happens if ur in 1st gear and just play with the throttle...

I know normally if ur in 1st gear and lightly play with the throttle the car naturally jumps.. but this does it pretty bad.. not like normal...
Or for example on the freeway at 70kms in 4th gear downshift to 3rd to get some pickup speed it shudders into 3rd ??

My thoughts were mayb broken/worn engine/gbox mounts.. but from the quick look i had they seem fine..

The gearbox is getting old and needs a rebuild ( main bearing, needs new clutch ) Could this also be a factor?

Just looking for any idea's if anyone has experienced this..

aaronng
31-10-2006, 01:50 PM
When shifting from 4th to 3rd, does it shudder when you shift or when you release the clutch?

Andrew21
31-10-2006, 02:01 PM
When i release the clutch....The dash shakes and big shudder...

aaronng
31-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Are you rev matching when you release the clutch?

Andrew21
31-10-2006, 02:07 PM
If im trying to race yeh.. But if im looking for a simple pickup i dont bother.. But even still my other cars never jolted that bad when downgearing without rev matching...

aaronng
31-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Maybe your clutch pressure plate is extra strong, so the clutch bite is good. It is good practice to revmatch everytime, even when driving normally. The sudden jolt of deceleration could catch a tailgating car unawares and he could hit the rear of your car.

destrukshn
31-10-2006, 02:14 PM
maybe it's a mount?

aaronng
31-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Could be if this problem just appeared recently... Check it out too.

JasonGilholme
31-10-2006, 02:41 PM
My money is on mounts. Either the front two or rear one.

bennjamin
31-10-2006, 02:44 PM
since the engine is old ~ the rest of the car is no doubt old and tired too :)
I agree with worn/broken rear engine mount....

Andrew21
31-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Ok, will give that a go, Ben do you still have that spare one lying around ?

integrity
31-10-2006, 03:50 PM
dc4 have common engine mount problems buddy ...
jdm yard supply a silicone/rubber mount strengthener that just bolts right on top of the mount to stiffen it back up.
pick it up for roughly 100 bux .

seeing your clutch is hydraulic it isnt a common problem to have your pressure plate play up (unless you have changed the clutch and havent machined the flywheel)

check the clutch cables possibly your master or slave cylinder is playing up

Andrew21
31-10-2006, 04:02 PM
ii'll definately get the mount looked at.. But what you mean by " check the clutch cables possibly your master or slave cylinder is playing up "

Its Hydrolic there are no cables to adjust dude.

bennjamin
31-10-2006, 04:38 PM
check for leaks...we topped up ur clutch fluid at my place , andrew. So i doubt its that.
Look at mounts....

kayot1k
31-10-2006, 05:08 PM
broken mounts .... ooh YEH !

Andrew21
01-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Ben- Yeh man fluid is cool, im thinking its a mount issue...

I had a look at the car last night as best i could .. The only mount i can find that had all the rubber spongey material broken and corroded was the.

1.Underside Gearbox mount - ( i think this is more of a support mount)
The mount that sits under, near the RH Drivers side front wheel.

I think i have a spare EG Civic mount from that side of the gearbox .. Would this be a direct swap?

integrity
01-11-2006, 09:04 AM
the hydraulic lifter for the clutch is one (right under the pedal) check for leaks... and there is another just near the block that the cable feeds through buddy ... check it out...

it is most probably the mounts as i said

JasonGilholme
01-11-2006, 09:07 AM
That gearbox mount could be it cause if its the one that i think your trying to describe, its the front torque mount.

Andrew21
01-11-2006, 09:19 AM
The one im trying to describe is NOT the one you can look down ontop from the engine bay ( not the one that sits right under the air filter and bolts near the Starter motor, but IT IS THE ONE that bolts to the SIDE of the gearbox ( side closest to front bar) and then bolts under car.. Easy fixx if thats wats causing it.. Especially if i can use my EG spare mount...

JasonGilholme
01-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Theres two connected to the tranny.

One that bolts on to the top of the tranny and connects to the side of the engine bay (its hidden under the air intake arm) This isn't the one i'm thinking of.

The second one bolts to the front of the tranny and connects to the chassis underneath the chassis rail on the drivers side of the car. This is the torque mount for the gear box. This is the one that i was thinkin of.

bennjamin
01-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Yes...as said...its your front lower TORQUE mount/s.

AFAIK you can use your D series mount ( but not the opposite - B series front mounts are flat on the mount point and D series have a slight concave to them)

Andrew21
01-11-2006, 09:50 AM
JasonGilholme - Thats the one ! Its the Front Lower Torque mount !

Ben - Fingers crossed i'll have a quick look tonite if i got time and see if it bolts up...

Thanks for all the help boyz..

JasonGilholme
01-11-2006, 09:51 AM
:thumbsup: