PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Your Euro Unused for long period of time

REV888
31-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I been on the fourms.

Wanted to ask you guys some advise.

I will be leaving my euro in my garage unused for 8-12 weeks.

Prior to leaving it will be giving it an oil change but what other things should I do when I leave it unused for that time ?

ie ? leave a full tank of petrol ? or half a tank ? / Battery disconnect or not ?

Cheers

REV888

EuroDude
31-10-2006, 08:53 PM
as per the manual (page 491 for MY06):

Fill the fuel tank
Change the engine oil and filter
wash and dry exterior
clean the interior and make sure its all dry, no food
leave the parking brake off, put tranny in reverse (manual), or Park (auto)
block the rear wheels
leave one window open slightly if in a garage
disconnect the battery
support the wiper blades with a towel or rag so they dont stick to the window
apply silicone spray to all door and boot seals
cover the car with a breathable cover such as cotton
run the engine periodically (once a month)

REV888
31-10-2006, 08:59 PM
as per the manual (page 491 for MY06):

Fill the fuel tank
Change the engine oil and filter
wash and dry exterior
clean the interior and make sure its all dry, no food
leave the parking brake off, put tranny in reverse (manual), or Park (auto)
block the rear wheels
leave one window open slightly if in a garage
disconnect the battery
support the wiper blades with a towel or rag so they dont stick to the window
apply silicone spray to all door and boot seals
cover the car with a breathable cover such as cotton
run the engine periodically (once a month)

Thanks you ;)

But what if I can,nt run the engine periodically ?

EuroDude
31-10-2006, 09:04 PM
If you dont run the engine for many months then you may want to change the oil before you start it again. Oil deteriorates over time and may harm the engine.

Although if you change the oil before storage, then it may be ok since oil typically lasts 6 months or so. Synthetic oil lasts longer so I would use Mobil1 or Motul similar

REV888
31-10-2006, 09:05 PM
If you dont run the engine for many months then you may want to change the oil before you start it again. Oil deteriorates over time and may harm the engine.

Although if you change the oil before storage, then it may be ok since oil typically lasts 6 months or so. Synthetic oil lasts longer so I would use Mobil1 or Motul similar

I use Motul so should be fine ;) Thanks again

ZEi20T
31-10-2006, 10:09 PM
ALL oil absorbs water no matter what brand, weight or quality it is, same as pretty much all fluids in the car. Change it after the storage, BEFORE you drive the car, if its sitting there for so long exposed to the atmosphere (yes it is via breather hoses) it WILL retain the water

yes oil lasts 6 months but thats in the unopened container it was supplied in

kitbkk
31-10-2006, 10:19 PM
good advise there..
dont forget to set ur tyre pressure to say 3-4psi more than what you normally have.
mm thats what I do though

ZEi20T
01-11-2006, 07:24 AM
actually whats better it to elevate the car so the wheels arent touching the ground :)

saves getting flat spots at all

aaronng
01-11-2006, 10:01 AM
If you don't have an aftermarket alarm or audio system, you can leave the car for a month with no problems. At 2 months, I would get someone to drive it for a bit til the engine has gotten a chance to warm up, not just around the block. Do you trust anyone with your car? If you don't, then just unplug the battery and take it out. Place it on an insulated surface (a few layers of cardboard will be good). At 2-3 months, you're risking the internal surface to lose its layer of oil. When you get back and restart the car, make sure you don't touch the accelerator and let it idle for 1 minute to let the oil circulate properly before you do anything to it.

kam
01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
i dont get the bit about "leave the parking brake off" - is that the handbrake ?

destrukshn
01-11-2006, 09:57 PM
yups.
it stretches the cables.

kam
01-11-2006, 10:19 PM
ah i see

well, REV888, im sure you have some trust worthy friends / family around that can pop by and start the euro every few days / take it for a short drive ?

kitbkk
01-11-2006, 10:34 PM
lol if it was me, I wouldnt trust anyone or any friends to looks after my car lol., as being international students, we go back home in the 3 months holiday.
Last 3 months holiday, my friend left his car key with his friend and when he got back from holiday, his friend crashed his car, the damage was something like 5-6k lol....
damn ill need to leave my car when I go back home too...

EuroAccord13
01-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Friends all leave their cars with me when they go back, I merely go start the car for them and drive it around the block... You want me to help you do that? (I got referrals LOL!)

Ferrarista
01-11-2006, 11:00 PM
There is something about it in your manual, i forget where though

aaronng
01-11-2006, 11:25 PM
BTW, engine oil in the bottle lasts 2-3 years. Oil in the engine lasts 6 months if driven regularly, shorter if you tend to take short trips.

hotout
02-11-2006, 06:20 PM
if you can't be stuffed disconnecting the battery what with removing the connectors, just remove the main and or backup fuse.

REV888
24-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Hey Guys,

Its been a month now since I left my Euro back home, I am still away in New Zealand & wont be back till late Jan early Feb.

Can't wait to hope into my Euro when I return I miss it so much!

You get so spoilt driving one!

I know I am going to have to give it a good run would of left the car 9 week untouched when I return.