PDA

View Full Version : Slipping trans on Legend.

pony-65
31-10-2006, 08:52 PM
I got a 1989 Honda Legend 2.7 V6. I have a major problem with the trans slipping. It doesnt slip in 1st, but slips in 2nd, 3rd and 4th and also reverse.
Most of the Honda guys in Adelaide just tell me its stuffed and ive got prices between 2 and 6 grand to fix. Anyone out there got any ideas or tips on what it could be and I have mates with some mechanical knowledge but not directly with Hondas and dont wanna fly blind with repairs. Even a site where i can do it yourself overhaul would be good.
I appreciate any help guys...... Thanks

spacemaster
31-10-2006, 09:27 PM
is yours auto trans ?

pony-65
31-10-2006, 09:37 PM
yes. Ithoughtall legend were auto soz

destrukshn
31-10-2006, 09:45 PM
ask ECU-MAN.
=)

integrity
01-11-2006, 09:10 AM
dude i had the same issue in my legend 1993 model ..
it just slips and revs out abit ...
i freaked out as well ...
i got quoted (my best quote) was 5 grand for a 2nd hand gearbox with labour.

reason it is soo expenvise is cause there aint many legends out there so yeah parts are expensive (and its a honda).

i did the right thing and sold mine ... thats not my advice though

spacemaster
01-11-2006, 08:23 PM
what you do it to clean both control and lockup solenoid and you sweet. USe brake cleanner to do the clean job. I did this last year, and it run like a dream.

Goto http://acura-legend.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2 and serach for solenoid, there is a DIY.

Good luck

ECU-MAN
01-11-2006, 10:45 PM
lol at DIY auto tranny rebuild

since its slipping in R, I recon you have a low fluid problem ( simply check fluid level )

or a torque converter problem.

Revers when selected is in constant mech with out any clutches. its either in or out of R. so that leave the fluid quality/level.

with the slippage in forward gears, thats different.

that could be the same as above or worn clutch / o ring in clutch. valve body or shift solenoids.

lots of fun

way to technical to make a DIY. way to may factors

spacemaster
02-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't think you know much of our legend 89 regarding the solenoids. No offend I think you know 1mil times on other things than me :). Anyway even a novice like me can unbolt 3 botls for each solenoid. Just not sure why this cannot not be a DIY. LOL. Ever hear of mechanic give a quote without actually knowing/investigating the cause ? I experienced a few with my legend tranny and they all give quote somewhere between $800 - $1400.

That's where I turn to forum like this. Anyway I did the search for you pony_65.

"DIY - G1 auto trans solenoid clean" => http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13026

ECU-MAN
02-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I don't think you know much of our legend 89 regarding the solenoids. No offend I think you know 1mil times on other things than me :). Anyway even a novice like me can unbolt 3 botls for each solenoid. Just not sure why this cannot not be a DIY. LOL. Ever hear of mechanic give a quote without actually knowing/investigating the cause ? I experienced a few with my legend tranny and they all give quote somewhere between $800 - $1400.

That's where I turn to forum like this. Anyway I did the search for you pony_65.

"DIY - G1 auto trans solenoid clean" => http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13026

No offence taken, but its is because of my knowlege of the solenoid system of the Ledgend AT and the inner workings of it I wrote what I did above..

if you read his 1st post

It doesnt slip in 1st, but slips in 2nd, 3rd and 4th and also reverse

doesnt slip in 1st but slips in R,

1st and R use the same solenoid sequence. so it should slip in 1st as well as R if the solenoid was at fault

R is a mechanical engagement that does not rely on a clutch. R is almost guarenteed to engage, even if the solenoids fail. as I said above he should realy look at his fluid level and quality of fluid.

the solenoid DIY is a great start, but a AT overhaul DIY is way more complicated.

CUL8R
04-11-2006, 07:28 PM
wooooah^^^^ he is a freak!

spacemaster
05-11-2006, 09:48 AM
before doing anything serious. my suggestion is do this DIY first. It did fix mine which sliped randomly. I think u will find both solenoid hardly can kick dueto metal dust blocking its internal movement. Also suggest a new screens while you are there.

Gibbo_07
26-12-2006, 04:29 PM
I had to get my 2nd Gen box replaced in Brisbane, cost me $1250 for the box + labour.