PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

**Ghost**
29-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Hey all u gusy with modded civics here... do u actually tell ur insurer u've got aftermarket i/h/e, computer, etc?

does it matter? my friend goes that if u mod ur car, and u dont tell the insurer...all that happens is that if nething happens is the insurer doesnt account ur parts into the insurance... basically...

If i insure an EK i get an ek, fact that my 1000 dollar exhuast got smashed esont matter... cos i didnt write ti down

neone confrim.?

saboteur
29-05-2004, 11:10 AM
JustCars for me (21) insuring a boosted EK sedan is $914/pa. I'm pretty sure the agreed value is $18K. Big mags and aftermarket suspension doesn't make the insurance any more; I've already asked them.

**Ghost**
29-05-2004, 11:30 AM
wow... are u serious? but they are bitches when it comes to paying out arent they? thats wot i heard... u had ne accidents befre?

nah cos i'm already with RACV... just wanted to know whether i need to tell them about I/H/E mods? and i dont wanan ring em up cos they keep asking quesitons...

kimbi
29-05-2004, 01:36 PM
well i just re-insured my car with the GIO and they didnt car about the stuff on there (well it didnt cost me any extra).. but if its listed on the policy means i can have it back in an accident (ie stereo/wheels)

as for things that actually enhance your peformance i dunno. call your insurer without telling them who you are (like as a general enquiry) and ask them.

VTEC16
29-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Or you can ask - "if i get an exhaust......"

madgrk
29-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Just cover it, or they may not cover you at all stating that your accident was caused by your particular part. They certainly dont pay out if you have chopped springs, so I assume they are the same for all aspects. Like VTEC16 said, give them a ring and find out. Easiest way, and will cover your ass in the long run..

skoota
29-05-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm insured with AAMI - and I've got an EK. Now, they tell me that if I do ANYTHING to my car - ie audio, foggies, wheels or performance, I have to tell them - I have like up to 8 mods at my disposal. They also say especially for performance mods like CAI, ehaust and things like that you gotta tell them in advance - for two reasons.

1. They may choose not to insure you with the mods you plan to add to your car, especially young male drivers.

2. They will NOT cover you when you're in an accident, because your car is not how it was described and you are actually not adhering to the contract you have with your insurer and are therefore not covered.

So the lesson to be learned in all of this - is to bloody well tell them dude or you will be super ****ed! :P

Weq
29-05-2004, 06:33 PM
$1800 with justcars and unlimited modifications. Insurance is always more expensive in Sydney.

luzinit
29-05-2004, 07:39 PM
2700 with fortron, underwritten by NRMA :( my mum and myself both listed, however my mum had 5 fines so yeh, bit expensive. hah. insurance expires next month, i'll post once again on my new policy.

2MPRSS
29-05-2004, 08:17 PM
if u insure ur car and u dont tel them let say u got 18z on ur civic right? and u dont tell them that, u will have all sorts of problems like my bro when he smashed his coupe vti-r he had 18z and the nrma hasnt even payed him yet,they didnt pay him because the rims he had on his car were illegal (come on 18z on a civic ) and they started questioning him about lack of control of the vehicle and sh*t like that they were trying to cya later :D

BPA
29-05-2004, 08:41 PM
you "should", tell ur insurer about any mods....insurance companies being insurance companies, will try to find any reason not to approve your claim.
Some of their claim assessors wont really give too much of a shit about cai/exhuast/etc.....but any major mods (incl wheels)..you should tell em.
end of the day...if u have too make a claim and they wont approve it cuz u didnt tell them about ur exhaust or whatever...dont whinge to them, they wont care. tough cookies...read the contract

**Ghost**
29-05-2004, 10:28 PM
ahhhhh i getya...jsut that if i ring and go... >>IF<< i get so and so..

skoota
29-05-2004, 11:43 PM
ALWAYS RING THEM BEFORE YOU THINK OF GETTING ANY MODS FOR YOUR CAR SO YOU CAN NOTE THE CHANGES OF YOUR POLICY OR WHETHER THEY WILL INSURE YOU. AAMI WILL CHANGE MY PREMIUM IF I GET CAI AND EXHAUST - OR SO THEY TELL ME...

micka
30-05-2004, 12:09 AM
I am insured with Just Car Insurance, previously with aami however they terminated because of my stereo (they have a 20% of car value limit). looked into racv, they had 30% for accessories.
as has been suggested above, talk to the insurer before putting things in. i installed an amp which put me over the 20% and they terminated insurance on the spot.
As long as you're honest with insurer you'll have little problems; hopefully:)

civicboy
30-05-2004, 12:17 AM
just car is good, i used 2 be @ aami but they sux when it comes to mods etc

Mitch M
30-05-2004, 01:46 AM
HAHAHAHHAHAHA

your mates an f'ing idiot

if they find any differencials when they inspect your car...

say its a write off, and you have 17x7" wheels on a civic that comes stock with 14x5's, they will claim that having a wheel track larger than that of the legal limit contributed to the accident parameters, therefore making your insurance void.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust and do not tell them, they won't pay up, saying that it is a "breach of the contract"

don't be fooled by your friend, take the plunge if you want, but i know i would rather tell them what i have and know my car is safe ;)

CivicCoupe
30-05-2004, 01:48 AM
In your Product Disclosure Statement (That booklet that they will send to you), you will find a section called "Your Duty of Disclosure".

This clearly states that you must be honest and have a duty under law to tell them anything known to you in regards to your insurance policy. If you fail to let them know of the changes you have done to your car, you will not be adhering to your duty of disclosing those modifications. RACV will then have the power to reduce how much they pay, or even refuse cover completely. If they want to be really strict they can cancel your coverage and treat your policy as never having existed.

**Ghost**
30-05-2004, 02:23 AM
wow... eep... well thanks guys... i guess i'll be chanign to just cars or something next month... then i'll start bolting the stuff i've got on...

**Ghost**
30-05-2004, 03:52 AM
JustCars for me (21) insuring a boosted EK sedan is $914/pa. I'm pretty sure the agreed value is $18K. Big mags and aftermarket suspension doesn't make the insurance any more; I've already asked them.

shit i never knew it could eb that cheap...

i'll probably call them after exams... but just generally... i'm 21... an ek4 with I/H/E + aftermarket susp. + stokc wheels wouldnt be newhere near 914 yeh? just logically i woulda thought "boost" = big insurance...

Mitch M
30-05-2004, 09:48 PM

i'll probably call them after exams... but just generally... i'm 21... an ek4 with I/H/E + aftermarket susp. + stokc wheels wouldnt be newhere near 914 yeh? just logically i woulda thought "boost" = big insurance...

it will probably be far higher than that ...

i know i called up about my civic, DOHC non-VTEC Si, 1992 model with rims, exhaust, lowered and sound system on an agreed value of 10k and they wanted 3.5k annually!!! and they didn't allow for monthly payments, had to be upfront :(

micka
30-05-2004, 10:36 PM

it will probably be far higher than that ...

i know i called up about my civic, DOHC non-VTEC Si, 1992 model with rims, exhaust, lowered and sound system on an agreed value of 10k and they wanted 3.5k annually!!! and they didn't allow for monthly payments, had to be upfront :(3.5k? that's a bit high, i have a 93 gli rims, lowered, tints, alarm immobiliser, stereo, and premium is $901

Calvo
30-05-2004, 10:50 PM
difference is Mitch is 18...

micka
30-05-2004, 11:04 PM
$2.5k justifiable for age and si rather than gli?

CivicCoupe
30-05-2004, 11:46 PM
$2.5k justifiable for age and si rather than gli?

The type of vehicle and your age isn't the only rating factor affecting the premium. Some other aspects that are considered when calculating the price of your insurance includes the area you live in and also the policy holders/drivers driving history (ie Incidents and Offences in the last 5 years). So this is probably where they justify the extra 2.5k..

[[d a n n y]]
31-05-2004, 03:21 PM
1.9 on just cars

unlimited mods..

and i am 19 now

**Ghost**
31-05-2004, 04:09 PM
wow... thats weird .... how the hell did he get 914 with turbo? or is that third party?

poid
31-05-2004, 04:12 PM
while its not a Civic, mine is with Vigil, $1,200 for a turbo accord with all mods listed. Have to write in an email to see if i can get my agreed value put up a little as well (currently 17.5k, which is how much i paid for the car, want it to be 25k).

Before that, was paying $1,400 with Suncorp for just 18" rims + lowered. I cancelled this and went with Vigil as my car was getting the final piping done for the conversion, as i knew that Suncorp would tell me to get stuffed if i made a claim after the turbo went on.

Just cars wouldnt recognise my NCD, so bugger them :)

**Ghost**
31-05-2004, 04:17 PM
i hate insurance companies...