PDA

View Full Version : Mating other make gearboxes

spetz
31-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Just wondering, is mating gearboxes from other manufacturers a good idea or not?

Forget price, gear ratio's, custom bits etc etc but I am talking reliability wise? Issues/bugs coming up etc?
Will it ever be as good a "fit" as the original gearbox?

kyle
01-11-2006, 12:09 AM
with enough money you can fit anything onto anything into anything. the thing is if for some reason you spent $1000s custom fitting another manufacturas gearbox to your car, you could of spent that money building your stock box up.

Answers

1. No not good idea
2. No
3. Issues are, does the gearbox spin the same way as your motor? input splines, alighnment of axels, alighnment of gearbox, fabricating mounts for it. and the fact you would need some crazy $$$$ bellhousing adapter to fit the gearbox to the motor

but i mean if you have money to throw around then why not, but you could easially build a bullet proof ITR gearbox and have about $5000 left over to give to charity if you decided to go honda

JasonGilholme
01-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Why would you want to do that for?

Just find out the differences between the boxes and find the aftermarket parts needed to make it "equivelent" of the other box. You'll save yourself alot of time and money and you'll end up with a stronger unit at the end of the whole process.

kyle
01-11-2006, 12:18 AM
other issues are, you would need custom shift linkage(or cables), custom length axels with splines correct size to fit both the manufacturas gearbox and your hubs, custom gearbox mounts, custom bellhousing adaptor plate, custom clutch/shift fork/hydralic cylinder setup, adaption of sensors to stock harness, correct alighment of gearbox-hubs(will the axels fit through?) does it fit in the ebay without frame modification?

spetz
01-11-2006, 02:11 AM
hmmm...
Well the gearbox I want to use is a DC5R 6spd into a Lancer which has a FTO 2 litre MIVEC in it

Charlie from GPC will be doing this and has told me roughly 3 grand to do it which does not include labour, just parts.
Labour he wont charge me but it's too long of a story to tell

Has anyone had experience with Charlie and custom work like that?
The main issue with my stock MIVEC box is that from 1st to 2nd the revs drop to about 4500rpm which really dulls it and I have to wait a while till I get going again
The 6spd from the Teg is quite a lot shorter and I will fall into my perfect powerband all the time
Peak power at close to 8000rpm and torque at 7000ish or so
Cut out 8200-8300rpm

bennjamin
01-11-2006, 03:33 AM
IMO just look at a shorter final drive for your current gearbox.
Will be cheaper and much more reliable than fabricating something...that needs to be enginneered ontop too.

qstoria
01-11-2006, 06:16 AM
hmm time for a honda spetz. the em1 with a k20 perhaps..

barefootbonzai
01-11-2006, 08:42 AM
you spend so much time in a honda forum, y don't you just buy a honda. Just out of interest, is your lancer any fast?

Weq
01-11-2006, 08:46 AM
if charlie can fit it, let him. It would be a sight, thats for sure.

RWD owners have been using hybrid gearbox setups for years now. There is nothing wrong with it, just takes some skill and ingenuity to get it to work.

JasonGilholme
01-11-2006, 08:49 AM
If theres a big drop between gears you should look at altering your gear ratios.

The only reason an ITR box goes so well is cause the engine can spin up to 8 k rpm. You won't get the same effect by bolting a gearbox onto a car that won't spin that high. (just assuming the MIVEC engine doesn't spin as fast as a B series engine)

Weq
01-11-2006, 08:51 AM
mivec spins just as far as a k20. Dont doubt that

JasonGilholme
01-11-2006, 08:55 AM
ahhh ok. :thumbsup:

aaronng
01-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Why don't you get a quote on changing your 2nd and probably 3rd gear ratios in your fto box? While it is pricey to change gear ratios, it's not as bad as trying to bolt on the k20a box onto a mivec engine.

A shorter final ratio will help with the rate the rpm will climb, but the drop in rpm when you shift from 1st to 2nd will remain identical. The shorter final drive will however let your rpm climb faster into highcam.

SPEEDCORE
01-11-2006, 10:55 AM
RWD owners have been using hybrid gearbox setups for years now. There is nothing wrong with it, just takes some skill and ingenuity to get it to work.

Ha no shit.... supra boxes in everything inc. 86s :)

JasonGilholme
01-11-2006, 10:57 AM
yeah but isn't that because a supra box is a 6 speed??

SPEEDCORE
01-11-2006, 11:20 AM
yeah but isn't that because a supra box is a 6 speed??

No. Its the strength vs abundance vs $$ that makes them popular.

Most ones that are used in a hybrid/custom bellhousing setup are the "W" 5 spds which are from pre 2JZ Supras.

JasonGilholme
01-11-2006, 11:31 AM
ahh ok. Hence why they are cheap! :thumbsup:

BlitZ
01-11-2006, 12:19 PM
ive seen a k20 in a RWD beamer..

Wonder what gebox was backing it.. I was like WTF... RWD K20

spetz
01-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I would like to buy a Honda but I just don't think they are worth that much money
EM1 (prefered Honda)
K20A
Coilovers, kit, seats, etc = more money than an Evo 5-6
And as much as I like Honda... well this is an Evo we are talking about.

Back to topic
The only thing I can find for my gearbox is a company called ATS that I can much around with the gear ratio's
But, the price of a gearset (3 gears) + shipping will cost more than the 6spd conversion. Not to mention the Honda gearbox is lighter than the FTO one.

Ignoring cost, does anyone know if Charlie is good enough to join this gearbox so that when driving it, it feels like OEM equipment? ie, nice shift feel, no clunking/grinding/crunching, smooth without vibrations etc?

Also to someone who asked, the car does about low to mid 14sec quarter mile as is now in street trim
And hoping for consistent 13s after the new engine or evel low 13s on slicks and some weight reduction

spetz
01-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Here is a gearset designed for a 1.6 MIVEC but is interchangable with my gearbox
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/koma/eunos-gp/rally/maintenance/speed_close_gear.htm

Some of the kits seem ok however mine only goes to 8200rpm as opposed to a 1.6 where it revs closer to 9000rpm

poid
01-11-2006, 08:50 PM
you'd have to measure the box up to see if it'd fit, it will require an adapter plate (at least) to physically bolt up to the engine with the correct alignment and you may be lucky not to need a custom clutch built.

Front shafts will almost certainly have to be custom jobs as well, you may get lucky with the shift linkages or you may not.

All in all, i believe this is a much more difficult job in a FWD than the normal RWD conversions you see, and i doubt there are any off the shelf parts to assist you. For most RWD conversions you have off the shelf custom bellhousings, clutches etc available. Also you have more room to position the 'box correctly. In the FWD situation you need the box to bolt up in a tight space AND align correctly with the two front shafts. IMO would take a lot of work.

How much will the new gearset cost you?

JasonGilholme
01-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Go the gear set man. Much less hassle and would probably be mroe reliable.

Weq
02-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Poid: dont forget custom flywheel and/or clutch. I doubt the input shaft length/splines would match up.

could charlie do it? probably. how long would it take? alot longer then id wait.

Just from the trials and tribulations of seeing a b-series box put onto a d-series, it no easy job.

poid
02-11-2006, 12:03 PM
i got the clutch up there, i did have flywheel too but must have lost it during my countless edits lol

its seriously not a job i would ever want to attempt.

Weq
02-11-2006, 03:19 PM
charlie did put that GTO engine into an integra... wonder what box he used.

DreadAngel
02-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Spetz, I see you on the FTOaustralia forum, why don't you ask them there, I'm sure Boiz and stuff can help ya improve the FTO GBox

spetz
02-11-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm on the NZ MIVEC site and I asked there, most people recommended against it :(

Charlie put a Galant engine not GTO engine into an Integra.

As far as time goes, Charlie would be doing it out of the car (mating it etc) as he is building me a new MIVEC engine as well. My car would only be there for custom gearbox mounts and custom driveshafts

The gearset...hmmm I don't know probably about $5000 or so by the time it is landed in Oz
But still only 5 speed. And I would probably leave 5th as is for driving which means my car would be quick to about 180km/h and then fall out of power range into 5th and I am hoping/expecting that I would be going over 180km/h at the quarter mile