PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic drain plug "Slime"

claymore
02-11-2006, 01:48 AM

EG5[KRT]
02-11-2006, 07:23 AM
yup my gbox one always has some metal particles onit .. but my normal engine sump plug doesnt .. weird ey..

string
02-11-2006, 07:50 AM
']yup my gbox one always has some metal particles onit .. but my normal engine sump plug doesnt .. weird ey..
Definately a good thing. Metal shavings in the engine oil in a non-new engine are certainly a bad sign. The gearbox has wearing metal parts (syncro rings); shavings shouldn't be unexpected.

Having seen that pic though, I might have to invest in one of these. Where does one go about locating these magnetic plugs?

CRXer
02-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Definately a good thing. Metal shavings in the engine oil in a non-new engine are certainly a bad sign. The gearbox has wearing metal parts (syncro rings); shavings shouldn't be unexpected.

Having seen that pic though, I might have to invest in one of these. Where does one go about locating these magnetic plugs?

Theres like $7 cheapies on ebay,right up to the $50 name brand items that a couple of the traders sell.JDMconcept got some spoon ones.

Spunkymonkey
02-11-2006, 11:32 AM

also sell them on ebay.

funkdr
02-11-2006, 06:05 PM
I heard there was an aussie guy making oil filter with a magnetic coil ill get more info o nit.

Rice_4_life
02-11-2006, 07:48 PM
trans plug is already slightly meagnetic from factory, no point in my opinion ur filters should pik these up fine.

SPEEDCORE
02-11-2006, 07:54 PM
trans plug is already slightly meagnetic from factory, no point in my opinion ur filters should pik these up fine.
Plus the magnet stuck to the bottom of the trans case.

Though you show me where the filter is on the gearbox? LOL

Rice_4_life
02-11-2006, 07:57 PM
cheaper alternative would let ur oil drain for lik 1.5hours and use lik 1 liter of new oil to flush it out, never tried it but i would assume this would do a muc better job than the magnet can. my 2cents

Dxs
02-11-2006, 08:08 PM
i have them.. and would recommend them..

in regards to filters, i think greddy filters have magnets in them.
but i have heard people just puting magnets around the filter.. like taping them on... would be a cheaper and more logical solution imo

Spunkymonkey
02-11-2006, 08:15 PM
cheaper alternative would let ur oil drain for lik 1.5hours and use lik 1 liter of new oil to flush it out, never tried it but i would assume this would do a muc better job than the magnet can. my 2cents

people use diesel oil or I have used oil flush concentrate....I put it through on my 200K oil change, and I can't complain as it really did clean it up quite well.

SKREMN
02-11-2006, 09:22 PM
holdens come standard with the magnet plugs

cheap investment and cant do any wrong

Rice_4_life
03-11-2006, 06:05 AM
They work well and the other oil changes I did NO particles on the STOCK drain plugs, so much for their being magnets after changing to these you can see what they picked up. If the filter would pick the particles up and magnetic drain plugs are not needed where did these particles come from as I HAVE a filter and I guess it missed this slime.

i said trans drain plug is slightly magnetic, next time u chnge it u will notice a build up of gunk on the plugs end wipe it clean and go throw it on sum metal surface, it's very weak tho.

bennjamin
03-11-2006, 06:49 AM
i said trans drain plug is slightly magnetic, next time u chnge it u will notice a build up of gunk on the plugs end wipe it clean and go throw it on sum metal surface, it's very weak tho.

There is already a magnet located in the gearbox for these "particles". Does the job fine ;)

Rice_4_life
03-11-2006, 10:40 PM
There is already a magnet located in the gearbox for these "particles". Does the job fine

If it does a fine job how did all this slime end up on the drain plug.... guess it missed this batch.

The point being no matter how well the stock system works these additional magnets collect EXTRA particles that DO NOT get trapped by the standard setup they are cheap and easy to install how can you argue against them?

If they keep this "Extra" slime out of suspension in your oil isn't that a good thing??

better idea would be to do all ur oils more frequently, that's the best idea. the magnet can only attract so muc metal shavings and shit and lose it's ability after a while, the filters are in place to pick these things up. just saying if you got that muc shit in ur oil i think u mite hav a serz problem.

Zilli
04-11-2006, 01:01 PM
nice review dude, might have to pick myself up a batch

obviously the standard ones are not AS effective. If anyhting, they may be picking up the big chunks,

thank for the review

Rice_4_life
04-11-2006, 11:17 PM
"better idea would be to do all ur oils more frequently"
Read the post I change at 5,000km how much more frequently than that do you do? When you change the oil you have to pay, buy the plugs pay ONE time for as long as you have the car... which is more effective??

i also said the plug will lose it's effectiveness once it's picked up all the crap it can, that's why i said oil chnges more frequently would b best.

Zilli
05-11-2006, 07:38 PM
wrong... the metal attracted to the magnet turns is magnetised, so it will keep collecting