PDA

View Full Version : Civic 06 modif part...

denot
02-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Hi All,

I'm new in this forum, and I just got myself a 2006 Civic Sports (auto unfortunately... :( ).

Situation is... I'm going to Japan (Osaka - Tokyo) next year, and would like to "browsing" around for some basic modification part (Air Intake, Mufler, etc) for my car. Anyone can help me on where can I find good auto shops in Japan?

Another question is about where can I get (if I have to) a Mugen Air pod Intake kit in Australia? I look at Mugen website (www.mugen-power.com) but cant find any air pod intake kit on it.

Thanks for your help ppl...

Cheers

denot
02-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Oh, forgot to add this... do you guys think that modifying an auto car is worthed? I mean... I dont want to "hardcored" it, maybe just the basic (Air intake - Exhaust - ECU upgrade). What do u think?

xenfacta
02-11-2006, 05:17 PM
i wouldnt performance mod it, intake to helo it breath is always good but a zorst will make it sound weird with the auto, if ur gonna mod it, make it a cruiser, not a bruiser

panda[cRx]
03-11-2006, 02:38 AM
dont bother modifying it, maybe dump it with some decent rims and tint but that's about all i'd bother with on the 06

denot
03-11-2006, 08:28 AM
So if is that means I cant get more "accelerate" with the auto model? One thing I notice about the 06 Civic is that it's lacking acceleration and handle badly on corners...

beside coilcovers for cornering, any other suggestion on how to improve the performance?

FIT
03-11-2006, 05:52 PM
turbo it!

xenfacta
07-11-2006, 09:47 PM
One thing I notice about the 06 Civic is that it's lacking acceleration and handle badly on corners...QUOTE]

did you drive the car before you bought it? the civic isnt really a performance car. why buy it if you're no happy with the way it drives? certainly faster/better handling cars for the money.

[QUOTE=denot]So if is that means I cant get more "accelerate" with the auto model? ... beside coilcovers for cornering, any other suggestion on how to improve the performance?

as i said before its not really a performance car - especially with the auto (torque converters kill cars with no low end torque). rims, lowered (coilovers if you must) and leave. it wont become fast unless you want to spend big money
;)

denot
08-11-2006, 08:44 AM
did you drive the car before you bought it? the civic isnt really a performance car. why buy it if you're no happy with the way it drives? certainly faster/better handling cars for the money.

as i said before its not really a performance car - especially with the auto (torque converters kill cars with no low end torque). rims, lowered (coilovers if you must) and leave. it wont become fast unless you want to spend big money
;)

ty xenfacta...well to tell the truth I was test driving the manual version of civic sport... and thats fine with me (compare to my previous car which is Civic 2001 model). but decided to buy the auto at the end as requested by my gf (and the triptonic kinda makes me choose it as well).

Actually I also take a look at other better performance car (new subaru RX, Last generation of Integra, etc) but for me the insurance cost me like hell with those cars... I have make quote with NRMA (I know this is a bad choice) but for the same price I need to pay extra $400 if I choose to buy subaru instead of civic... weird eh?

stoodamire
08-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Bah, the stupid girlfriend always get in the way, then later on the track they fux up your life..

Umm, i suggest since its auto really just get the Mugen Kit for it, nice set of wheels, coilovers...that's pretty much it...

denot
08-11-2006, 11:21 AM
well... plan is ima gonna keep with the civic for another 2 year or so... then change to EVO X when its comeout... =p

anyway... this is how i'm planning to do:
- HID kit for low beam (12000 K)
- Xenon bulb for high beam (4000 K) --> might go with philips or sumthing cheap @ supercheapauto?
- Mugen/AEM Air intake (try to get one from Jap for this model)
- D2 or other Coilcovers... (from Jap as well)
- Mugen bodykit (maybe start with the rear wings... love it!!!)
- 18" rims (5Zigen FN01R)
- Extra blue tinting

what do u guys think?

stoodamire
08-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Sounds great, but i think the lights are a bit too wanker...because you'll be affecting others on the read, 6-8k will be fine..

ozR18
09-11-2006, 01:13 AM
12000k is unecessary...its a nuisance to other road users.6000k or 8000k should be just fine.

The rest of the list is good. Say HI to Mr Mugen for me if u get the chance,

denot
09-11-2006, 08:29 AM
12000k is unecessary...its a nuisance to other road users.6000k or 8000k should be just fine.

The rest of the list is good. Say HI to Mr Mugen for me if u get the chance,

but is 8000K still white? I prefer to get a blue coloured =p

anyway... thanks all for the advice, I will say hi to "Mr Mugen" if I get a chance to meet him (i believe he's a busy man himself... :P)

ty all...

Aco3n
10-11-2006, 12:16 AM
I might be mistaken, but 4.3k or 12k won't really affect other driver, it will only affect the driver himself due to vision restriction in rainy days..
What will affect the other driver is.. most reflectors are not designed for HID, which may cause glare to blind other drivers.
So if you convert to HID, please, make sure at least aim your lights to the acceptable level..

aaronng
10-11-2006, 07:25 AM
12000 K is not legal.

If you are going to change to an Evo X in 2 years, then why bother modding the Civic?

denot
10-11-2006, 09:11 AM
12000 K is not legal.

If you are going to change to an Evo X in 2 years, then why bother modding the Civic?

well... i dunno... just feel like it... ^_^

aaronng
10-11-2006, 09:46 AM
You won't find many performance parts for the Civic Sport. Heaps of bodykits and suspension parts though. I had a look at the airbox and even that has a sensor plugged into it!

denot
10-11-2006, 09:48 AM
You won't find many performance parts for the Civic Sport. Heaps of bodykits and suspension parts though. I had a look at the airbox and even that has a sensor plugged into it!

um... Noob question... what do we mean by "Sensor" here?

aaronng
10-11-2006, 09:52 AM
um... Noob question... what do we mean by "Sensor" here?
There is a sensor, probably an air temperature sensor plugged into the airbox. So if you were to replace your airbox with a pod, you would need a special one for your Civic that has a port for attaching that sensor to. Means any generic standard pod won't work with your car.

denot
10-11-2006, 09:58 AM
There is a sensor, probably an air temperature sensor plugged into the airbox. So if you were to replace your airbox with a pod, you would need a special one for your Civic that has a port for attaching that sensor to. Means any generic standard pod won't work with your car.

hm... that's no good... thanks for the info aaronng... might need to consult this with my mechanic before I buy a new one.... Any suggestion on which brand can fit?

aaronng
10-11-2006, 10:13 AM
As long as it is made to fit your particular model it should be fine. Not sure on brands, but I know brands like Apexi usually makes adapters for their pods that have places to plug in tubing and stuff, like for the DC5.

denot
10-11-2006, 11:14 AM
oh, thats a relief... I was looking @ Apexi as well before, but tempted to make "one-brand" modification... and I choose Mugen for it... but anyway, I think I change my plan now...

^_^

JaCe
11-11-2006, 07:55 PM
There's some K&N gear for our Civic which has been installed successfully according to Singapore forums.

Personally, I'm quite confused as to what to do with the Civic. It's never going to be a performance car in auto (I have the 1.8!) and whilst I'd like a bit more oomph when I accelerate, it's probably not going to happen without either (or both) quite a bit of money and potentially voiding warranty/raising insurance premiums considerably... also taking into account I have P plate restrictions.

... so instead, I do things which will make me enjoy my car more whilst I sit in traffic on my way to the office (stupid lane cove tunnel caused so much traffic buildup) like sound system. Also installed visors, and considering doing some more "ricer" mods which look good. Not sure about the body kit or rims because in my driving and the places I go to, I've scraped the bottom of the car a few times and hit a few pretty deep potholes- I'm inclined to think bodykit and rims might not be a good idea.

Btw denot, what's your budget like for the Civic? I'm also in a similar situation to you because I'm planning on changing to an Evo or Liberty GT once I graduate from uni (and lose the P plate restrictions).

xenfacta
14-11-2006, 09:12 PM
yea insurance is a bitch lol. subaru was more coz ppl steal rexies (or parts of them) and so target other models too (to fix ur smashed rexy, a front guard or door from a gx will do) hence the insurance hike. im jus lucky i got insurance thru work. $850 pa. full comprehensive. was gonna get a monaro but not even work insurance would cover me (nrma would for $6grand)

denot
27-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Btw denot, what's your budget like for the Civic? I'm also in a similar situation to you because I'm planning on changing to an Evo or Liberty GT once I graduate from uni (and lose the P plate restrictions).

Wow... sorry guys, havent on for a while for this thread... Anyway... I might have to limit my mods budget to around 3-4k (since i'm selling my old '01 Civic). But I dun want to spend it all in one go... might start spending on the HID kit first and then gradualy "building" my civic after that :)

Whispaa
29-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Is there a particular reason why alot of people say it's not worth working on the Sport/Civic06's performance?

Is it a low cost = result ratio?

Is it lack of support from companies that product these enchanments?

Is it the engine?

They're all serious questions :D I've the slighest idea of performence enchancement!

denot
29-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Is there a particular reason why alot of people say it's not worth working on the Sport/Civic06's performance?

Is it a low cost = result ratio?

Is it lack of support from companies that product these enchanments?

Is it the engine?

They're all serious questions :D I've the slighest idea of performence enchancement!

well... not worthed in modif my one coz its auto, i think...

xenfacta
29-11-2006, 11:13 AM
its all a matter of opinion. performance is relative. if you want to add a little kick to it then its worth it, going the usual route (exhuast etc) . just dont expect it to be a rocket unless u want to spend some big money and kill ur warranty. also there isnt a whole lot out there at the moment in the way of performance parts.

OR you can choose to try and utilise the power you have with better suspension (higher corner speeds on the track - you can also have fun fiddling with settings more).

i ndont know whter ill do anything to this car or wait for a better base. maybe im too used to fast cars lol

denot
29-11-2006, 11:25 AM
i ndont know whter ill do anything to this car or wait for a better base. maybe im too used to fast cars lol

It would be good if we can build a "sleeper" using our Civic :P

xenfacta
29-11-2006, 11:27 AM
hmm well there is a turbo kit in the us.........

denot
29-11-2006, 11:28 AM
hmm well there is a turbo kit in the us.........

not that "extreme" for me -_-"

what happened is atm... my civic sport cant even compete with astandard auto toyota yaris... T-T

xenfacta
29-11-2006, 01:40 PM
not that "extreme" for me -_-"

what happened is atm... my civic sport cant even compete with astandard auto toyota yaris... T-T

??? dude there something wrong there. ive driven the yaris, my vti is def quicker

denot
29-11-2006, 01:42 PM
??? dude there something wrong there. ive driven the yaris, my vti is def quicker

Is your vti an auto or manual?

Whispaa
29-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Is your vti an auto or manual?

The Auto Sport is as quick as the manual Vti-L's from what I've heard.

So why do people tend to back down when it's upgrading Auto cars? Wouldn't the Sports Tip Tronic make any difference?

Thanks for answering guys!

Whispaa
29-11-2006, 01:54 PM
its all a matter of opinion. performance is relative. if you want to add a little kick to it then its worth it, going the usual route (exhuast etc) . just dont expect it to be a rocket unless u want to spend some big money and kill ur warranty. also there isnt a whole lot out there at the moment in the way of performance parts.

OR you can choose to try and utilise the power you have with better suspension (higher corner speeds on the track - you can also have fun fiddling with settings more).

Thanks xenfacta, I've got no idea what I could do to give it a bit more... umph!

You seem to know what your talking about, or sound like it anyways :P, so could you list basic mods that could make it go a bit better?

I'm not into tracks etc Wouldn't know where to start to be honest :)

aaronng
29-11-2006, 02:01 PM
So why do people tend to back down when it's upgrading Auto cars? Wouldn't the Sports Tip Tronic make any difference?

Thanks for answering guys!

With tiptronic, it means you have a lever or paddles to shift between 1,2,3,4 and 5th gears without having to pull the shifter. It's still an auto.

Whispaa
29-11-2006, 02:26 PM
With tiptronic, it means you have a lever or paddles to shift between 1,2,3,4 and 5th gears without having to pull the shifter. It's still an auto.

Yep. But I was trying to say, doesn't it work like a Manual, where you choose what gear and when to go up/down? Or are there other technical differences that increase/decrease performance or compatablity with upgrades between the two?

Cheers.

aaronng
29-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Yep. But I was trying to say, doesn't it work like a Manual, where you choose what gear and when to go up/down? Or are there other technical differences that increase/decrease performance or compatablity with upgrades between the two?

Cheers.

Yes, there are still technical differences between a manual and a tiptronic. The manual uses a clutch, so when engaged, the drive from the engine to the gearbox is direct. Autos and tiptronics don't have clutches, they have torque convertors. The torque convertor has 2 pieces, that look like an turbine/impellar and ATF viscous fluid in between. As the torque difference increases, the viscosity increases with shear, thus locking up both sides. There is more power loss for the auto. But the auto will be smoother and at low gear speeds can sacrifice some RPM for extra torque.

xenfacta
30-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks xenfacta, I've got no idea what I could do to give it a bit more... umph!

You seem to know what your talking about, or sound like it anyways :P, so could you list basic mods that could make it go a bit better?

appearances can be deceiving! :p

it all depends how much u want to spend. you can do simple things like exhaust and extractors. this will give u a little extra power and a nice sound. at this stage, though, ud have to import it from the us or go custom. i'd probably wait until something is released.

other that you're left with forced induction, ecu and engine work (messing with things like lumpier cams etc.)

I'm not into tracks etc Wouldn't know where to start to be honest :)

sussy can change the way u drive, less body roll etc. if ur going street then its basically lowering the damn thing lol

gldsaucer
01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
well... not worthed in modif my one coz its auto, i think...

nothing is not worth it as long as you can justify it..what i am trying to say is, if u add an intake into an autobox, there will be a power increase..then ur car would be faster than other normal auto civics, wouldnt it?..

but if you are aiming for say like century sprint under 5secs, then that is a different story..i would say buy another car that is capable of doing that!

What i see worth it/not to modify is that, as long as you get satisfaction from the $$ you put in to add that extra grunt or touch to your car then it is worth the money..

However, you can't compare an auto and manual in term of how fast they could accelerate from 0-100km/h because it is a totally different tranmission and target different buyers..

Whispaa
01-12-2006, 10:43 AM
How would an exhaust make the car go a big better? Thought it just made the car sound grumpier!

xenfacta
01-12-2006, 01:21 PM
How would an exhaust make the car go a big better? Thought it just made the car sound grumpier!

new exhaust is designed to free up the engine, let it breath better, hence making more power, predominantly in the top end

aaronng
01-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Except that if your headers are limiting the flow, then the exhaust will only change the sound, but not increase power.

Those with the VTi and VTi-L, you can't change headers as it is 1 piece with the head.

Whispaa
01-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Except that if your headers are limiting the flow, then the exhaust will only change the sound, but not increase power.

Those with the VTi and VTi-L, you can't change headers as it is 1 piece with the head.

I've got a Sport, and say I want a little performance boost, without the car sounding like a cargo ship, how much % better will $1000 get me?

What do headers do, and how much do they normally cost to purchase/install?

Thanks all.

aaronng
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I've got a Sport, and say I want a little performance boost, without the car sounding like a cargo ship, how much % better will $1000 get me?

What do headers do, and how much do they normally cost to purchase/install?

Thanks all.
$1000, not much. It's enough only for an intake and headers. Headers is the part between the engine and the exhaust. It flows exhaust air from 4 pipes (1 each cylinder) and then into 2 and down to 1 where it fits to the cat and exhaust.

Pricewise, it varies. Call around for quotes.

denot
05-12-2006, 04:07 PM
$1000, not much. It's enough only for an intake and headers. Headers is the part between the engine and the exhaust. It flows exhaust air from 4 pipes (1 each cylinder) and then into 2 and down to 1 where it fits to the cat and exhaust.

Pricewise, it varies. Call around for quotes.

Ok, thanks for all of the info pplz... just want to know... if I want to install a Buddyclub Racing Spec 4 muffler into my Civic Sports (Auto) will this fit? will this "boost" it up? A friend sed that If I modify the muffler on an auto car, the sounds will be funny. is it true?

aaronng
05-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Ok, thanks for all of the info pplz... just want to know... if I want to install a Buddyclub Racing Spec 4 muffler into my Civic Sports (Auto) will this fit? will this "boost" it up? A friend sed that If I modify the muffler on an auto car, the sounds will be funny. is it true?

A racing muffler on an auto will sound weird. You should listen for them on the street first. It's unlike a manual where the sound goes higher in pitch as you accelerate. For a manual, it's like "brrrrrrRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAHHH"

In an auto when using little throttle the pitch starts high and stays roughly there. When you get to the speed you want, you use even less throttle and it gets a little quieter. So it's like "BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaahhhh"

If you use full throttle, then it sounds like a manual. But when you are driving on the street, you always use part throttle, so it will sound funny more often.

And if you change just the muffler, there is no boost in power. It's only changing the sound. For power, you should look at least at a cat back. Even that is not much. Ideally, headers, highflow cat (optional) and catback exhaust system. The diameter of the pipe is a bigger influence than just the muffler alone.

denot
11-12-2006, 10:02 AM
And if you change just the muffler, there is no boost in power. It's only changing the sound. For power, you should look at least at a cat back. Even that is not much. Ideally, headers, highflow cat (optional) and catback exhaust system. The diameter of the pipe is a bigger influence than just the muffler alone.

o ic now... so catback wont let my car sounds like BAAAAaaahhh (lamb? :eek:) any suggestion on what brand or where can I get them? does mugen have 'em for the new civic?

xenfacta
11-12-2006, 10:56 AM
mugen onyl has an axle back, which is basically a muffler. if ur really keen u can import one from the us

tonz
11-12-2006, 07:34 PM
I Have the 06 civic sport in manual and i have done some mods to it already and it rides quicker than what these guys are telling you.

Exhaust - increase the pipe size by a quarter inch from the flange back only and put a straight through muffler on it...you check my car out on www.bestmufflers.com and click on the link under the remus exhaust picture then select honda civic 2006...do this and you will not lose any back end power it will be all gains...i know i can feel it.

Airtake - do not put in a pod filter you find that you lose power just get a replacement filter like K & N...you will need to get the filter that fits on the 2006 civic Si model from the USA.

Wheels - 18" best suited for the car...i have some wicked looking rims on mine and fit some 225/40/R18 tyres lik this you won't screw up your speedo.

Suspension - don't bother...the car is already buit quite low to the ground and if you put the wheels on it you scrap the car on the inside guards and on you front lip...why ruin a beautiful machine.

ECU - get a piggy back system something like unichip or haltech are the best out there.

HID conversion kits - nothing beats GT HID seach them on google there are place all over australia that stock them..you get good quality with a lifetime warranty.

Tints - nothing beats black tints...why make you car look like a poofy cartoon car from need for speed and besides coloured tints tend to fade to a clear colour within 5 - 8 years.

denot
12-12-2006, 12:15 PM
I Have the 06 civic sport in manual and i have done some mods to it already and it rides quicker than what these guys are telling you.

Exhaust - increase the pipe size by a quarter inch from the flange back only and put a straight through muffler on it...you check my car out on www.bestmufflers.com and click on the link under the remus exhaust picture then select honda civic 2006...do this and you will not lose any back end power it will be all gains...i know i can feel it.

Airtake - do not put in a pod filter you find that you lose power just get a replacement filter like K & N...you will need to get the filter that fits on the 2006 civic Si model from the USA.

Wheels - 18" best suited for the car...i have some wicked looking rims on mine and fit some 225/40/R18 tyres lik this you won't screw up your speedo.

Suspension - don't bother...the car is already buit quite low to the ground and if you put the wheels on it you scrap the car on the inside guards and on you front lip...why ruin a beautiful machine.

ECU - get a piggy back system something like unichip or haltech are the best out there.

HID conversion kits - nothing beats GT HID seach them on google there are place all over australia that stock them..you get good quality with a lifetime warranty.

Tints - nothing beats black tints...why make you car look like a poofy cartoon car from need for speed and besides coloured tints tend to fade to a clear colour within 5 - 8 years.

your car sounds great!! but all of my question about the mod I'm doing is because I got an auto... I knew most of the basic things described for a manual car, thats why I want to ask for help with auto (which I think its different to the manual)

Ty anyway...

Civic^^
12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
hey tonz
is your exhaust a catback one?
thx

tonz
02-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Not a cat back exhaust, this is not recommended for the new honda civic cars, you will lose too much back end power. Mine is from the flange back, and i have removed 2 off the other mufflers as well to give the car a deeper sound.

Civic^^
02-01-2007, 01:59 PM
oh icic~ could you explain where from the flange back is? sorri jus that ive never heard of that term before thx

MKI4EVA
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
do you mean axel back? teew nee?

JaCe
02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Wait is your exhaust welded then?

Sigh. Don't want to do anything permanant since planning to sell car in a few years time. Looks good though!

I really want to change the muffler... any tips/suggestions? Would like to keep it under a decent price but if it hits say $1k, then that's way too much when I might as well buy the genuine Mugen silencer exhaust which is Catback from memory.

PS. Your exhaust is hot :)

tonz
03-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Flange back just means from the rear axle back...if you go to an exhaust place and ask for them to install the exhaust you want from the flange back they will know what your talking about

nemes|s
03-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Hey Tonz,

Just checked out the link u sent, ur exhaust sounds nice, something like what im looking for. Its not too loud n extravagant, but yet u still kno its there. If you dn't mind me asking, how much was it installed?

thanks

tonz
03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
it was $510 (this is for a magnaflow muffler) can be cheaper fully installed if you choose another muffler. The guys at best mufflers are fantastic, they know what their doing and take care on the job their doing on the car. Highly recommended.

tonz
03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
The guys at best mufflers do not weld anything on so that it is not permanant, my system is all bolted on and pinned in for security reasons...some people find it funny to steal exhausts.

nemes|s
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
it was $510 (this is for a magnaflow muffler) can be cheaper fully installed if you choose another muffler. The guys at best mufflers are fantastic, they know what their doing and take care on the job their doing on the car. Highly recommended.

Been looking around their website, $510 does sound a little on the high side, but from what I've seen on the website and the pics that they posted up of your car, they seem pretty pro.

I'll prob drop by some time this weekend, hopefully i can find something a lil more affordable!

Thanks for the info Tonz

xenfacta
03-01-2007, 10:56 PM
doesnt bolting it in make it more likely to leak?

JaCe
04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Just to confirm tonz... does that mean your exhaust is $500, bolted on which means it can be removed, and it doesn't cause any perm issues to your car?

Also sorry to be such a n00b, but... catback vs. bolt on? I always thought they were both non-perm processes.

aaronng
04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
doesnt bolting it in make it more likely to leak?

Just make sure the gasket is good, or use exhaust liquid gasket.

tonz
22-07-2008, 05:25 PM
you stock exhaust is bolted on too. Exhausts generally come in more than one part.

danjoy25
24-07-2008, 03:01 PM
So who will the first here to get this. Made specially for the R18 engine and will also work with automatic transmission.

http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-70_88/product-963/index.html

I've been catching up on other forums and is really a bolt on kit which takes less than 4 hours to install if you get the optional plug and play harness. Only thing you will need is a good tuner thats well verse with AEM FIC piggyback to tune the car and that it.

Anyone here interested in a 13 seconds QTR mile FD ??? This is the answer and should cost less that $5,000.00 fitted and tuned

denot
24-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Thats madd!!!!!