PDA

View Full Version : 1st car servicing-Civic 06

Okests
02-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi ALL,

Hope you can advice. Can anyone of you share what do they do during the 1st service?

I read the logbook and surprised that 1st 1000KM need not change for engine oil and all they need to do is just inspect!! Its this true?

I thought 1st k must change engine oil too??

I am a 1st car owner hence very inexperience and needs guidance.

Thanks.:thumbsup:

mrwillz
02-11-2006, 10:15 PM
its jus a check i belive

seals/levels of fluids
jus general check up of the run in period i guess

another related thread
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51222&highlight=1000k+service

Okests
02-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi bros,

Thanks for the info.

So they only make sure things are running smoothly thats all..

Just wanna get further advice, should i ask them to change the engine oil myself for 1st 1000KM..? would it be better .. or just leave it as per logbook instructions. Anybody have suggestions? understand i would be charge accordingly though...

In addition, for this 1000KM, i have not really rev my car to the max....as it is new... so after my this 1st service, can i start to unleash the vtec power or still must be careful so as not to damage the brand new engine....?

Thank ppl.:thumbsup:

Okests
02-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi Bros,

1 more question. ... the cheapest unleaded petrol at Caltex is RON91 or 98? I know the recommended is RON91 but it does not stated at kiosk...

Becoz so far, whereever i go to the kiosk. i just pump the cheapest unleaded and not knowing whats that>>!!

Thank again.

mrwillz
02-11-2006, 11:35 PM
only premium unlead petrol is 98 ron
other normal unlead can vary from 91-95max depending on outlet.. bp/mobile/shell/castrol
ur new oil is fine buddy
u can change for ur own pleasure

dyljoy
02-11-2006, 11:42 PM
price range for 91 < 95 < 98, and benefit for ur engine will perform that way as well.
about first 1k service, not need to worry about change engine oil so quick, coz engine need warm up and clean by the oil u have, and normally u can change it when car done around 5k, but maybe use same engine oil which honda recon, otherwise, it would noticed by Honda when u back for 10k service in future.
About rev car, i think not over 3k rpm too frequency b4 it done over 3000km, after that, u can rev up and wake ur vte up all the time, hoho
PS: just my owned opinion, maybe wrong. hehe

kinez
03-11-2006, 07:06 AM
heyy.. yeh I juss checked my logbook, nothing was ticked.. just stamped and signed.. I'm confident they topped up fluid levels, checkd all the safety features, all the stuff listed there... for me by 1000kms the cup holder lid had conked out on me, and the rear right electric window motor was playing up, but that's the beauty of a new car warranty!! They assessed and replaced everything. I've asked em to check for nails in my tyres, lube up my sunroof.. no charges. Just complain when you have a problem, they've got a high standard of customer satisfaction.. so you'll find the dealership will fill your letterbox with feedback letters, surveys.. and just seeing how the cars going!

I was learning manual on this car.. I didn't even drive the first 500 or so kms, friends did! BUT, didn't boot it.. started reving it out a little more after 1000kms, and more after 1250kms.. by 1500-1600kms I was comfortable and pushing it out more!! Hope this helped! Enjoy tha new car smell..!

kinez
03-11-2006, 07:10 AM
in addition.. don't rev it out past 3000rpm in the first 1000kms, slowly you can go higher after the initial 'testing if the car's a dudd' stage..

xenfacta
03-11-2006, 07:29 AM
i spoke to someone about this coz my dad got a golf gti round the same time i got my new civic. they just check it now. the oils they use are all synthetic and so quality control isnt really an issue. VW dont even have a first service unitl 15 000 kms! they recommend an oil change at 7 000.

dyljoy
03-11-2006, 07:37 AM
ya, just follow the Honda log book should be fine, due to Honda service always satisfy.

FS: 06 Civic's Side step garnish(Light grey) for sale, just one set left, so be quick to bring it home. PM me for more detail~~

aaronng
03-11-2006, 08:05 AM
You can rev it up to 6000rpm too if you want. But, you MUST wait until the temperature needle deaches the middle before you do so.

Baopham
03-11-2006, 08:05 AM
hey okests and others.
i work at honda myself..
and the reason why we dont do an oil change for ur 06 civic on the first service is because honda has put an additive in the oil from factory to help run in the motor. this is their way of "saving oil" and they strongly reccommend that you do not change the oil until 10,000kms, otherwise it really ruins the whole purpose of the additive.. this is all from the honda bulletin we got and what i learnt at honda school before the civic came out.

this goes for the 06 jazz aswell. i think its the cars that are coming from the thailand factory are the ones that have this additive.

1000/1st service is just a check over to make sure everything is okay. fluid levels, suspension, brakes etc etc etc

yea and like aarong said... u can rev it as much as u like straight from the factory, these cars are built for it... just make sure ur engine reaches operation temperature b4 u do.. but then that goes with all cars anyway. and if i do drive like a hoon, it wouldnt hurt to check ur oil level once in a while

Okests
03-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks Bros...you all have been very helpful and i feel more confident and knowledgeable :thumbsup:

Since i am using the Caltex unleaded (as i always go woolworths to shop and get 4c discount), it should be at least 91 RON ya, which is fine for the car ya?
1 more observation i made during this 1 month is that, petrol prices is always cheapest on Tues..? Any idea why guys?

industrie
03-11-2006, 09:52 AM
tuesday is not peak for the week, as most users use there cars on thursday - sunday....thats why its cheapest on mon and tues

czy_sol87
03-11-2006, 10:14 AM
^^^thats true, but also cause by tue the petrol is starting to go off, hence every tue or wed the petrol tanks are coming to refill the tanks at the petrol station

oh and about reving out the motor, u should do it, because if u drive it like a baby during the run in period, when u do decide to rev it to red line, the motor wont be able to take it and u might damage something. and also remember to warm up the motor before u do rev it out(fan on twice)

denot
03-11-2006, 03:51 PM
I just got my 1st service done last week... and you know what? Honda barely touch my car (besides driving it in to the garage and out). They even said, "You car is being washed at the moment and should be ready in not time". yes its ready in a flash after he they said that, but... is it clean? They dont even splash a water on it!!!!! Bloody hell!!! They even left a knife on my car's passenger seat!!!! WTH!!!!

Anyways, might not go back to Honda anymore for my 10k service (or might go to diff honda dealer?). The bad thing about servicing with Honda is that you barely know what they do to your car. While with your trusted mechanic, you can se what they doing...

About the petrol... is it ok if I use the Shell Optimax (they call it V8 or sumthing now?) on the 4th time fueling my car and use the normal premium for the 1st - 3rd?

dyljoy
03-11-2006, 05:51 PM
I just got my 1st service done last week... and you know what? Honda barely touch my car (besides driving it in to the garage and out). They even said, "You car is being washed at the moment and should be ready in not time". yes its ready in a flash after he they said that, but... is it clean? They dont even splash a water on it!!!!! Bloody hell!!! They even left a knife on my car's passenger seat!!!! WTH!!!!

Anyways, might not go back to Honda anymore for my 10k service (or might go to diff honda dealer?). The bad thing about servicing with Honda is that you barely know what they do to your car. While with your trusted mechanic, you can se what they doing...

About the petrol... is it ok if I use the Shell Optimax (they call it V8 or sumthing now?) on the 4th time fueling my car and use the normal premium for the 1st - 3rd?
maybe u should try diff Honda dealer next time
for petrol question, u can change diff petrol anytime u want, but if want to know the diff between them, should run out perious tank deeply then refill the new one, then u will know the effect

JaCe
03-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Can I just say that I got my car serviced at Scots in Atarmon and they were great!... but this was for 2nd service. 1st one should be free at your dealer yeh?

Rice_4_life
03-11-2006, 10:57 PM
1st service is a safety check, it involves what everyone has sed:
fluid check and fill/oil chnge in sum cases
car on hoist bolts double chek for tightness and quik run along see anythin out of the ordinary
service sticker
and tyre pressure check

this shouldn't tak more than 10 mins or so (diff story if oil chnge)

panda[cRx]
03-11-2006, 11:57 PM
hey okests and others.
i work at honda myself..
and the reason why we dont do an oil change for ur 06 civic on the first service is because honda has put an additive in the oil from factory to help run in the motor. this is their way of "saving oil" and they strongly reccommend that you do not change the oil until 10,000kms, otherwise it really ruins the whole purpose of the additive.. this is all from the honda bulletin we got and what i learnt at honda school before the civic came out.

this goes for the 06 jazz aswell. i think its the cars that are coming from the thailand factory are the ones that have this additive.

1000/1st service is just a check over to make sure everything is okay. fluid levels, suspension, brakes etc etc etc

yea and like aarong said... u can rev it as much as u like straight from the factory, these cars are built for it... just make sure ur engine reaches operation temperature b4 u do.. but then that goes with all cars anyway. and if i do drive like a hoon, it wouldnt hurt to check ur oil level once in a while
^ yep that's all right

euro, mdx and crv - oil change at first service

jazz, accord, civic, odyssey - no oil change until 10,000km

i'm not sure about the new legend's but my guess is there is no oil change until 10,000km's

it's done for 2 reasons as others have said
-to help run in the engine
-honda is probably the most enviromental conscious of the large volume manufacturers. they're doing their part helping the enviroment by reducing the amount of oil used.

while they don't change the oil on the first service they do carry out a full underhood/underbody inspection to make sure the car is in order.
they check and tighten any subframe or suspension mounting if need be, and little bits and pieces like topping up wiper fluids, check for any leaks or carry out campaigns (recalls) etc

most dealers do a wash and vac with the service so it takes roughly 45mins-1hr (the wash and vac takes longer than the service)

if yours is a vehicle they don't change the oil of the first service then the service is FREE as honda pays for all the labour. if there is an oil change then you just pay for oil and consumables which varies dealer to dealer but should be under $50

Rice_4_life
04-11-2006, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE='panda[cRx]']^

most dealers do a wash and vac with the service so it takes roughly 45mins-1hr (the wash and vac takes longer than the service)

actualli for a typical 1st service with no oil chnge is only given 30mins including the wash.

JaCe
04-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Hornsby Honda didn't wash my car :(

But Atarmon (Scotts) washed and buffed!

Okests
04-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi Bros,

Just done my 1st service. No oil changed and just inspection... in addition, wash and vac.. thats all....

When i was abt to leave, i asked the manager how much would be the 10000KM/6mth roughtly would cost, he said abt $250!!!!

I find it pretty exp.. so wanna ask some experience bros out there, how much do you pay and which dealer...

Thanks all..
:thumbsup:

aaronng
04-11-2006, 10:39 PM
$250 is about the average price in Sydney for the 10000km service.

Rice_4_life
04-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Hornsby Honda didn't wash my car :(

But Atarmon (Scotts) washed and buffed!

i dont think any dealer gives a buff away on a 1st or any service at all, only a wash and vacuum; unless if u paid for a detail i dont think ur car woulda been buffed.

MKI4EVA
04-11-2006, 11:32 PM
hey okests and others.
i work at honda myself..

Good point about the additive. I never knew that. So do you know if that means that the properties of this oil isn't as good in terms of cooling down the engine as say a fully synthetic off the shelf?

Cause I track the sports after around 4,000km..........hahahaha. It's ok car is now written off :D

aaronng
05-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Good point about the additive. I never knew that. So do you know if that means that the properties of this oil isn't as good in terms of cooling down the engine as say a fully synthetic off the shelf?

Cause I track the sports after around 4,000km..........hahahaha. It's ok car is now written off :D
The oil aids in cooling, but it is not the major cooling factor in an NA engine. Your coolant and radiator plays a much bigger role for that. All the oil has to do is provide sufficient lubrication (which this additive, molybdenum disulfide provides) and that it doesn't break down at high operating temperatures.

Once you track your car, always change your oil. Don't go around driving around with it unless it is a very good oil that withstands high temperature (uually synthetics). Check your oil now that you have tracked it. Is it grey, brown or black in colour? Is it too runny or is the consistency still like before you tracked the car. Don't touch the oil with your bare skin. Used oil is carcinogenic.

panda[cRx]
05-11-2006, 01:21 PM
$250 is about the average price in Sydney for the 10000km service.
much less than that in melb :thumbsup:

actualli for a typical 1st service with no oil chnge is only given 30mins including the wash.
like i said it varies from dealer to dealer. many dealers quote about an hour for the first service.
the main thing that affects time is any customer concerns, rattles, campaigns etc

Jazzle
05-11-2006, 06:44 PM
hey okests and others.
i work at honda myself..

:eek: that's interesting... say if i really wanna have oil change earlier like 1000km or 5000km, can we ask honda to do so (Honda FEO yeah??) and add the 'additive' so we still get the same oil as what the brand new car gets??

i know you already said it will ruin the whole purpose of having additive in the first place but what if I really want to do just for the peace of mind, is it possible?

panda[cRx]
06-11-2006, 08:03 PM
why bother man? it wont do the car any good

Jazzle
06-11-2006, 08:08 PM
that's y i said this

i know you already said it will ruin the whole purpose of having additive in the first place but what if I really want to do just for the peace of mind, is it possible?

just wanted to know if I can ask for an oil change + additive...

plus why wouldn't it do any good?? considering you be getting new fresh oil??

aaronng
06-11-2006, 08:28 PM
The additive allows you to run the first oil change up to 10,000km. If you are changing the oil anyway, there is no need for additive since you are changing the oil and defeating the purpose for it.

denot
07-11-2006, 08:23 AM
The additive allows you to run the first oil change up to 10,000km. If you are changing the oil anyway, there is no need for additive since you are changing the oil and defeating the purpose for it.

Aaaahhh... thanks for the explanation aaronng... now i know what "additive" do.... ^_^

aaronng
07-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Aaaahhh... thanks for the explanation aaronng... now i know what "additive" do.... ^_^
No problem. Remember to stick with mineral oil until 10,000km.