PDA

View Full Version : [trackdayz] Taking a Car on a Trailer.

yourfather
02-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Hello,

After considering my options, and understanding that I want to take a few parts with me to my first track day, I decided that I dont wanna just drive up to Winton and drive back.

Now, as you can see below, I have one of these beasts in my monster garage.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3952/s8000463ub0jy4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I have towed caravans a myriad of times before, so the towing isnt an issue, it's how to a) get the car onto the trailer, and b) what the hell do I need to do to secure it.

Now, before you get all "hey, yf, sif be a noob, just get some ramps and park the car in reverse and hand brakie and it'll be fine" those with experience, please respond with what is the safest and best way to do it. And what kind of trailer have you used in the past. Because, the one that I have in my backyard is not going to be big enough for my little beast.

I have ample space in the back of my tow truck for another set of rims and other crap I might need, like helmet, etc. But,

Want advice / opinions etc, so I do it right the first time.

Cheers,

Luc

Muzz
03-11-2006, 04:38 AM
If your a member of Honda-tech.com ask this question in the road racing/autocross section, or search around there, theres plenty of "towing" threads. Im cirtain youl find your answer quickly, plenty of them use trailers, and use those tiedown straps u see with the small leaver arm for tightening, however iv no idea where on the car and trailer they use them. Try typing "how to secure car trailer" on yahoo or google. im shur theres lots of guides on the web aswell.

quangsta
03-11-2006, 11:07 AM
ive towed buggys before...similiar i guess except they dont need ramps to get on :p but once on, two trucky straps type things (like what muzz said with the lever to tightened) one on either end and it should b fine..... keeping mind the buggy sits alot higher and is on 40inch tyres so will probably move or be prone to moving around alot more then a car....

something u should do is cover it just incase u kick stones up whilst driving and make sure wen u put the car on the trailer sits parallel ie the trailer doesnt dip or raise at the tow bar point...this will also ensure the weight is spread evenly.

when towing check trailer tyres especially on the hire ones, one rim (tyres hub and all fell off) and another shreded and they only gave us one spare so we had to do find a spare wheel lying around somewhere :o

EG5[KRT]
03-11-2006, 04:35 PM
well when u get teh car on the trailer use ratchet straps on the 2 front tow hooks one on each side of the front of your car..

then one ratchet strap on your rear tow hook to hold it down...

and also have your car in 1st.. better to have your car on the trailer then off the trailer lol..

and try and chock the wheels as well.

rhk
03-11-2006, 06:22 PM
head down to your local BP and hire out their car trailer.

comes with a ramp + winch etc to strap your car down.

should fit a dc2 (im guessing your tracing the teg and not your city)

yourfather
04-11-2006, 12:32 AM
lol nah man the HR-V hahahah

yeah...

thanks for the help

EGB18CT
04-11-2006, 09:44 AM
if you have access to one with a winch use it, otherwise very carefully drive it up forwards and handbrake on.

next just as EG5[KRT] said use ratchet straps to to tie the car down using the tow hooks or other suitible structure of the cars chasis that wont bend/snap and tie down to the front of the trailer. Repeat for the rear and tie down to rear section of the trailer.

if you can tie down/chock the wheels do so, but it should be ok.

Now dont be a tool and drive like crazy, be extra careful, stay in the LEFT lane and observe the road, trailer, potholes, things like that and you should be guarenteed to arrive safely.... nothing more to it use common sense if you dont then u deserve to damage your car and you shouldnt be going to a track day!.......

ek4-guy
04-11-2006, 10:00 AM
make sure you use the propper weight rated d-shackles and use two saftey chains and cross them over so they catch the trailer if it jumps off.

If you dont think your car will not clear the peak where they ramps meet the trailer bed. You can reverse up to a bit of a hill and then drop the ramps onto the hill. Most Sydney tracks have concrete platforms with a ledge to reverse the trailer upto sort of like a loading dock.

and dont be afraid to go over kill when straping the car down you can use the ways mentioned above but its not a bad idea to have a few turn buckles with either hooks or d-shackles.

whtdc2
04-11-2006, 04:18 PM
go down to Box Hill and see Steve Wong, He alsways tows his JDM DC2 to the track.

yourfather
04-11-2006, 11:08 PM
where do I find this Wong?

MKI4EVA
04-11-2006, 11:25 PM
This pic gives you a bit of an idea as to how to secure the car on the trailor. I have no experience with transporting cars on trailors and found it was pretty complicated and quite involved for a first timer.

Regret not taking more pics when i trailored mine down to canberra on friday.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/MKI4EVA/OnTrack.jpg

rhk
05-11-2006, 03:29 AM
OMG! is that a mk1 gti?

i <3 those cars, a friend of mine is currently building one in perth and is getting the mk4 gti engine/tranny + a lot of other goodies. he is on votex btw but yeah lookin cool

whtdc2
06-11-2006, 08:32 AM
where do I find this Wong?
PM me will give you his phone nos.