PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

**Ghost**
29-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Whenever I stop my car after some hard driving... not even trhough twisties... just revving it on the way home... once it stops for around... 5 minutes ... i get this "PONG" sound

it sounds like when u knock a spoon on an empty tin can... its an ek4, does neone know what this is? and it deffinitely does NOT sound like it comes from the engine...cos its so loud... it sounds like its coming from under or from the back of the car?|!

mugsee
29-05-2004, 10:39 PM
not answering your question, but, are you warming up and warming down your car properly?

**Ghost**
29-05-2004, 10:41 PM
yeps... i let it idle and rev a bit when its a bit warmer then more idle until it gets to that "normal" halfway point.... in the mornings i usually turn the car on, brush my teeth, dress etc... then come out its just right

warming down... suually start driving slowish (not high revving/vtec) for the last 2 kms... hten give the car around... 5 minutes of idle before i shut it off

saboteur
29-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Possibly exhaust shrinking causing that noise? Mine ticks as it cools.

**Ghost**
29-05-2004, 10:59 PM
hmmmm maybe... i dunno.. it sound sbloody weird... thing is, i used to drive an old honda accord (1992) and sukuzie grand vitara V6 (2000)...and i revved them like nething, no tthat they went newhere but i just drive like that... never had that noise...and my exhaust is stock

Rowie
29-05-2004, 11:00 PM
fuel filter possibly?

**Ghost**
29-05-2004, 11:02 PM
kinda a noob when it comes to mechanical... but where is the fuel filter ? if its in the engine bay not really... cos it sounds really hollow and all, sounds like its RIGHT in teh open... like someone took a spoon and knocked ur panels or something...

BlacKEGPedroew
29-05-2004, 11:55 PM
i have exactly the same thing happen on my eg.
weird hey?
that was the best description (Spoon on can)
i just thought it was my exhaust, but mine is aftermarket, definently comes from rear of car though....

**Ghost**
30-05-2004, 12:32 AM
NO idea... it wouldnt be the suspension though woudl it? first tiem i heard it i thought my springs were bouncing out or something *shudders*

**Ghost**
30-05-2004, 12:36 AM
I have my own theory... NOT sure if this is right but here goes

1. Accord + Grand Vitara were "luxury" cars, with better build and more sound deadening material inside the car. I know this part is right as when i knock on the interior of my EK i get this hollow sound, really plastic and cheap...

2. SO when i drive hard... i "FLEX" something... a panel of somesort...

3. since the panels are thinner and less sound deadening material being used, oncei stop it "bounces" back into shape... hence **DONG***

i dunno, just in my view if i could drive the accord and grand vitara that hard, role em all over the place... thrash an auto gear box... left foot brake practice, etc etc... and they still never made dong...

now the EK4 suspension is better suited to this kinda driving... so the only thing i see as being different from this car and the previous that would result in the **Dong** is the panels

confirmations? (and the previous owner is not responsible, bless his 50 yr old heart)

ECU-MAN
30-05-2004, 12:45 AM
Possibly exhaust shrinking causing that noise? Mine ticks as it cools.

I agreee with you saboteur.

CTR Coupe
30-05-2004, 12:49 AM
It is more likely to be muffler or a panel under the car that got hot when you were "flexing" it and the *dong* noise is it cooling and going back into shape. Also could be rear bumper getting hot and flexing back into shape. Depends on the noise if it’s a metal sounding pong or a duller sound.
Just a tip, because your car was driven by an old man that didn’t show it VTEC much don’t drill the hell out of it. It will need a rebuild real quick. Have seen it before many times. Cars that go from little work to the other extreme often don’t last long.

**Ghost**
30-05-2004, 02:21 AM
serious? hmmm... i'll ahve a mechanic look into it next time... u wanna explain it? i woulda thought a car thats in good condition would be more "cane-able"

its VERY metallic sounding... spoon on can remember? :D

oh well thanks guys!! getting paranoid

CTR Coupe
30-05-2004, 03:41 AM
I’m not saying the noise is something wrong (as ECU-MAN and saboteur said it’s most likely exhaust or a metal panel cooling down).
I’m just saying the cars that have an easy first few years in life usually have more problems when they are driven hard.
[Will give an example when I have all the facts from dad]

I think someone needs to write a "what to look for when buying a car" thread

Low KM's and older drivers don’t always mean good condition or the right car for driving hard.

**Ghost**
30-05-2004, 03:48 AM
man me not disputing ya... but it just doesnt make sense... ?!??! but i'm sure open to facts... waiting for ya

A'PEXi
30-05-2004, 07:12 PM
same with my car, took it to the mech. and he said its fine :D nothin to worry bout haha

Nuttz
30-05-2004, 10:12 PM
where is the sound coming from???

can I ask u an odd question Ghost? do you park your car on a hill??

Phat_ciVic
30-05-2004, 10:19 PM
myne ticks to, but i used to think it was more of a tut tut tut "get back in me and drive boy" thing lol