PDA

View Full Version : leaving cruise control on?

sabu
05-11-2006, 11:46 AM
will it be a problem at all if i leave the master button of cruise control on?
im driving an accord 94

mr_mojo02
05-11-2006, 12:06 PM
mine has been on for 2 years... no problems yet

Honda Enthusiast
05-11-2006, 12:15 PM
will it be a problem at all if i leave the master button of cruise control on?
im driving an accord 94

Well, it doesn't do anything - but it does drain a little power and engages the cruise control ON...so yeah, I would turn it off when not in use - there's a off/on button for a reason!

h22a accord
06-11-2006, 06:32 AM
mines been on for as long as i can remember....no adverse effects.

mj3610
06-11-2006, 07:38 AM
cruise control is not actually ON when u have it on, its only when u set it with the button on ur steering wheel, and honda_enthuasiast i'd like to know how a cruise control drains power????
in the end its a stupid question because why dont u just reach there and turn it off? if ur too lazy why dont u do it once when u reach for the sunroof switch? lol

aaronng
06-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Doesn't drain power.

ECU-MAN
08-11-2006, 07:51 PM
its ok to leave it on all the time

the worst thing that can happen it the little globethat is in the switch will blow.

its easy to replace

EuroDude
08-11-2006, 08:18 PM
The reason its switchable is for safety, incase you accidentially press SET and plow into the cop car ahead lol.

Honda Enthusiast
09-11-2006, 11:55 PM
cruise control is not actually ON when u have it on, its only when u set it with the button on ur steering wheel, and honda_enthuasiast i'd like to know how a cruise control drains power????
in the end its a stupid question because why dont u just reach there and turn it off? if ur too lazy why dont u do it once when u reach for the sunroof switch? lol

Well, it drains power because it's literally ON... you can't say it doesn't use a bit of power at all... I got a VOLT gauge in my car and with it turned on, it does move up a bit, I've noticed... but no much though....

Yeah, I normally just turn it off... sometimes don't... hi hi

aaronng
10-11-2006, 07:26 AM
The reason its switchable is for safety, incase you accidentially press SET and plow into the cop car ahead lol.
Not likely. Your speed won't increase, and if the cop brakes hard, your first instinct would be to hit the brakes as well, and that cancels cruise control anyway.

EuroDude
10-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Well it depends on the circumstance, someone could accidentally press the Cruise Control buttons instead of the Sound Control buttons for example. Having an on/off switch gives some drivers piece of mind.

aaronng
10-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Well it depends on the circumstance, someone could accidentally press the Cruise Control buttons instead of the Sound Control buttons for example. Having an on/off switch gives some drivers piece of mind.
Even if they hit the cruise control button, nothing drastic happens. But I prefer to leave it off anyway.

mj3610
10-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Even if they hit the cruise control button, nothing drastic happens. But I prefer to leave it off anyway.
lol exactly, cruise control cancels when u hit the brakes...

EuroDude
10-11-2006, 10:58 AM
unless you regularly use the engine to brake ;)

aaronng
10-11-2006, 11:30 AM
If you are cruising in 5th or 6th gear, there isn't much engine braking to be had. Anyway, the real way to brake is to use the brakes and leave the car in gear. Not just relying on the compression.

poid
10-11-2006, 11:35 AM
if you use the engine to brake you would use the clutch (no one tries to engine brake at cruising RPM surely), which also cancels cruise control.

As for power drain, if leaving your cruise button on causes voltage fluctuations i think you have a bit of a problem with your electrical system

aaronng
10-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Do many people do this:
Cruising at 5th or 6th. You want to slow down, so you clutch in, shift to 3rd or 4th, and let out the clutch gradually so that the vehicle speed is slowed down by the wearing of the clutch.

poid
10-11-2006, 12:46 PM
i double clutch down the gears in that case to save my clutch from unnecessary wear

h22a accord
10-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Do many people do this:
Cruising at 5th or 6th. You want to slow down, so you clutch in, shift to 3rd or 4th, and let out the clutch gradually so that the vehicle speed is slowed down by the wearing of the clutch.

nope, i heel toe to match the revs when using the engine to brake.

EuroDude
10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
yeh same here. I try to minimize clutch usage as much as possible.

Although I do engine brake alot since the euro totally cuts off the fuel when you lift off completely, meaning the engine brakes heavier than other cars... plus I use the normal brakes if I need more stopping power, as aaron pointed out.

The fuel cut-off can be a biatch in slow traffic though lol. bunny hops ftw :p

aaronng
11-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Cool... It irritates me to no end when people slowly let the clutch out after downshifting to slow the car down. GRRRRR....