PDA

View Full Version : B16a Diagnostic Codes.

SIKCVC
30-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Ok I found a link on here to a Post James(BLKCRX) made with all the codes. My problem is that I dont know what sort of a gap i would be looking for between different codes.

This what the engine check light did when I ran the diagnostic(doesn't have the LED on the computer)
Nothing for a few seconds then 2 long flashes then 3 quick. Now I'm hoping the pause at the start isn't representing 0 coz that would suck a lot. Now I'm thinking its either 20(ELD) and 3(MAP), 10 and 13 or just 23(Knock).

For more background, heres some the driving simptoms, the engine runs really nice and drives fine, until the light comes on then it feels a little rougher in the gear stick, but not in driving. I also found it had an extremly low Idle, 500 and below. Then it almost stalled but quickly recovered with a little accel, and it continued to drive fine. Problem is I'm new to the engine so i dont know whats good and crap.

Any help would be great guys...

SIKCVC
30-05-2004, 07:02 PM
I found a loose wire which went to the gear box, i spose this could have been it. I'm just woried that if I've got it all wrong driving the car will only make things worse. any ideas?

SIKCVC
31-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Ok I found out that the Check light comes on when the Knock sensor is activated to many times (ie engines pinging like ****) So i double checked it, cruised around for a while, no light, then booted it up through VTEC then again at 50 in third up a hill with a passenger and sure enough the sound then the light. It was just hard to hear it ping over the engine noise/exhaust.

Anyone know who can help me out with this? I've got it booked in on the dyno in bayswater with a mates dad tomorow. He knew what i was talking about so I'm assuming he's able to solve it, I'm hopping altering the ignition timing will solve any trouble.

Any more advice on how to fix it? maybe run octane booster?

ECU-MAN
31-05-2004, 08:18 PM
didi you set the ignition timming when you changed your cambelt ?

also
http://australia.pgmfi.org/automotive/honda/faultcode/hondafaultcodes.htm
its under construction and is only for AUDM

SIKCVC
31-05-2004, 10:14 PM
no i havn't set the ignition timing yet, I just lined up all the markers and made sure they were lined up when i put the new belt on. I'm hoping the dyno guys will be able to set the ignition time for me properly tomorow morning, I'm sure thats all it is. just gonna take it really easy going down there.

SIKCVC
01-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Ok guys, had the car on the Dyno today and they said its not pinging, but the check light is still coming on. They suggested it could be a rattle in the engine bay causing it. The problem is i think the ECU has retarded the timing a fair bit because the power at the wheels only came out to 93.5 and i know if should be around 92 stock, let alone with CAI and cat back. That or mods do **** all... I really would have expected more than 1.5kwts at the wheels gains.

Oh well I guess not many people know how to solve this but Help would be great or better yet someone who can take a look and figure out why, because i dont wanna waste more money but i want it done correctly.

PS the guys at the dyno said run optimax because its the closest thing to JAP fuels, ie the additives such as ping supressent stuff.

tinkerbell
02-06-2004, 10:13 AM
sheesh!

ARE YOU RUNNING HIGH DENSITY PREMIUM UNLEADED!!!

ie Optimax, BP Ultimate or Synergy 8000???

if not - leave your car at home.

tinkerbell
02-06-2004, 10:14 AM
maybe you cam timing is off a tooth or your ignition timing is wrong.

when was the last time you changed the s.plugs?

DR HONDA
02-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Does the engine rough idle? And idling low sounds like the symptom of possibly one camshaft being out. the detination could be possibly caused by the valves possibly hitting the pistons etc, it is very hard to make the knock sensor detect a fault so easily. Feel free to ask.

SIKCVC
02-06-2004, 11:23 PM
In answer to your questions (just for the sake of it :P)

I've only EVER run premium, ie Synergy
I quadrouple checked (and I'm serrious) that I lined the cam belt up correctly, on the Cranck and cams
I'm running Brand new NGK bkr117 or what ever it is (the hot/high rev running plugs)
New motual oil and honda filter.
The engine Idles like a dream, it hasn't low idled since (was the second time i'd driven it)
The knock sensor was never broken, I had overlooked the fact that the wire wasn't on my loom :shock:, I simply prosumed it would be since my loom had VTEC wires and it didn't have a VTEC engine :shock:

The sensor i was looking at and had broken was the engine temprature guage(for the dash) sensor. Do'h :?

I've rewired it up and the engine runs beautifully, however the wire i used isn't of a high enough head resistance so I'm gonna have to rewire it, no biggy, worst thing is reseting my radio.

But yeah in closing :P The engine is running Mint. it sounds Unreal (no pod so i can actually hear it) and REALLY smooth, the only odd noise is a sqeeky pump pully.

Now all I need to do is fix up my CV boot and she's right :thumbsup: