PDA

View Full Version : tire temperatures for Wakefield

Zilli
06-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey all,

Im going to wakefield on Monday, ive running Azenis rt215's on stock DC2R rims, i wanted to get an idea of what temp i should put in the tyres.

Any suggestions?

quangsta
06-11-2006, 11:02 AM
according to this thread and a few others ive talk to

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16298&highlight=tyre+temp

dropping to round 22-27 psi will net one of ur better times

Zilli
06-11-2006, 12:08 PM
thanks a lot mate, but wakefield is a circuit... i dont think the same principles applie as drag racing

grumpy rooster
06-11-2006, 12:31 PM
I'd be looking for a HOT tyre pressure of 32-35psi. So go out and do a few laps and then come back in and see what the pressures are. Change pressure to achieve the same in all 4 tyres.

You may find that COLD they are all different. That doesn't matter. Its the HOT pressure that you are worried about. Just be careful until they warm up.

Zilli
06-11-2006, 01:05 PM
i wonder how much on average they will fluctuate from cold to hot

10psi? 5psi?

grumpy rooster
06-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Depends on the tyre and how soft they are.

You will find most street tyres will be anything up to 5psi. Slicks might be more. But at Wakefield expect the left front to get the hottest, then right front, left rear, and then right rear. The rears may not change very much at all so you might have to start 2 or 3 psi higher.

That's what I have found.

Zilli
06-11-2006, 01:19 PM
thanks for your advice man

Zilli
07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
so technically if i were to put 30psi cold before im on my way to wakefield, then it SHOULD be ok

of course ill check when im at the track too.

What are the indicators of too much or too little tyre pressure?

Astro
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
always check ur tyre pressures when they are cold...like when u are warming up your car before u go to wakefield.
i normally set my pressures at round 26-28psi before i leave and yes check again once your at wakefield and then check again after a few laps to get the temps in the tyres. i like to have my tyres hot at round 32-34psi..(semis though)

just remember that when u are using a road tyres or even the falken RT215's the side wall of the tyre is not as stiff as the semis so dropping your psi low will flex and swirm when they are at the temp limits.

that is what i notice anyway

sifoo
07-11-2006, 11:28 PM
a good method would be buying a stick of white shoe polish and painting a strip on the tread of your tires. Warm up the tires till hot and come back into the pits and check the wear. Adjust accordingly. Good luck!

Zilli
08-11-2006, 09:25 AM
thanks fellas

Silver-Arrowz
04-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Jack up the tyre pressure. R compund tyres you decrease the pressure. Road and the RT215's you put it up as astro pointed out. They don't have the stiff sidewalls as proper semi's.

Guys at the skylines australia forum recommended around 40psi at Eastern Creek. you probably want to go a little lower as Wakefield you don't generate as much cornering speeds.

Integral
09-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Run up to 45psi hot for road tyres.

35 psi hot for semis

ONE600
10-12-2006, 02:27 PM
35 hot for semi's is spot on. We start anywhere between 27-30 cold depending on the weather

Professional
11-12-2006, 11:31 PM
It depends on the road surface temp.

4agte
15-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I'd be looking for a HOT tyre pressure of 32-35psi. So go out and do a few laps and then come back in and see what the pressures are. Change pressure to achieve the same in all 4 tyres.

You may find that COLD they are all different. That doesn't matter. Its the HOT pressure that you are worried about. Just be careful until they warm up.

this is correct you want about 2 psi less in the left hand tyres as there are more right hand turns they will heat up more same goes for camber slightly more -tive in the left than right

edit: you may also want to vary your tyre pressures front to back as you might want more in the rear than the front etc
If you plan on going back to wakefield on a semi regula basis it may be a good idea to start recording your lap times with your pressures and the temperature conditions so next tim you go you have an idea of what works and what dosent etc