PDA

View Full Version : Accord 98 not starting

chepe
07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought a 98 Accord vtec bout a 2 months ago and its playing up. After i installed the cd player, the car sometimes doesnt start. This doesnt happen everytime but just on odd occasions.
Wot happens is that i put the key into the ignition, turn the key to start and i hear a click sound, do it again and i hear the same noise, sometimes it takes about 10 times before i can get the car actually to start. The book said that you should hold the kill switch for about 3 seconds to turn the valet of. Its pretty weird, but im trying to figure out if its got to do with the engine immobiliser or valet switch, or its just stuffed in general and i should get it checked out.

Thanks for your help guys!

Xplodin
07-11-2006, 04:46 PM
If its only one click then i have no idea... But if its a couple of clicks, then it might be ur battery... Happened to me a few months ago now so make sure ur battery fluid is up to its levels, and there is enough charge going to it, Check voltage as well...

If the battery is ok could be somthing else in the electronics... could be the PGMFI relay playing up as well... check this thread out on how to repair it. clickkyyyyy

Thats all my suggestions.... good luck with it...

amato2
07-11-2006, 06:55 PM
have you tried resetting your ecu.......or check for some error codes....

Si1enzio
08-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Maybe starter motor...?

ECU-MAN
08-11-2006, 07:46 PM
yeah as above ( + points for you )

could be a worn solenoid on the starter.

could also be the ignition switch or the Immo playing up.

Edgeauto
09-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Totally agree with starter contacts. Easy job to do, make sure you dont get ripped off or talked in to getting a changeover.

mj3610
09-11-2006, 09:06 PM
if u have nrma roadside assistance just give them a call and get them to look at the problem, if its ur starter motor u can buy one off them and u get free delivery and on-site installation, it'll save u time, money and hassle.
good luck :D

Honda Enthusiast
09-11-2006, 11:53 PM
I would do two things before taking it to a mechanic and spending some dollars on it...

I would reset the ECU.... then check if the battery is holding enough charge...

Or... I would check the spark plugs...

Good luck mate!

SKY

EuroDude
10-11-2006, 10:14 AM
An ECU reset would have nothing to do with starting up the car though..

Sounds like the starter motor, could also be a Distributor problem though. A new Dizzy cap may help. Unless its a more expensive coil/ignitor problem.

chepe
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
yeh thanks guys, im gonna take it into the mechanic next week, since i still have warranty. But its just i done a bit to the engine and i dont wana take it in coz they might use the excuse that i modded the engine, therefore it wont be covered in warranty.
Thanks anyway guys