PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic 7th Gen Questions (Pics inside)

s2o0o
07-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi all,

I am currently after a Civic and I am keen on a 7th Gen (2001 model). But something is giving me the shits...

Let's play a game of spot the difference in Civic front bumpers shall we - this could be fun.

Both Exzibit's below are 2001 models.

EXZIBIT A
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=12641510&S=ISS

EXZIBIT B
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=12087952&S=ISS

Ha, YES! Exzibit A's and Exzibit B both differ in colour. Not only that, but...

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1666/displayimagebz3.jpg

What in gods name is that?

This black pinstripe (so to call it) manages to get around the whole vehicle. It's just ugly. Gah!

EXZIBIT C
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=12641518&S=ISS

EXZIBIT D
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=12087953&S=ISS

As you see here; Exzibit C's ass if far more attractive than Exzibit D's.

So, what is it? It isn't removable right? I will probably respray it if I did buy this white Civic BUT what is it? If this is a grandma-spec option from the dealer; the person who bought this car previously made a bad choice.

Chances are I will replace the bars.

Any input anyone?

Thanks all.

STTICH
07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
i dun think replacing the entire front and rear bumper is necessary. im pretty sure its just an aftermarket rubber strips protector. so its removable.

s2o0o
07-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Thank god! I hope it is.

I haven't seen any other MY01 with this as yet. You reckon it's still white beneath?

rhk
07-11-2006, 06:45 PM
im pretty sure that is a grandma option, as to being white underneath it probably is as they( the honda dealership) would have just placed the strip over the painted chassis after the car was landed. however you might have nasty glue and crap that might stay on the paint. are you looking at buying the white one?

if you get it taken off it should look like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/milba/146_4690.jpg

clean and nice :)

s2o0o
08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Yep, I am thinking of buying the white one. Isn't it gorgeous (minus the ugmo black strips) :D HAHA. First car also so a very exciting time for me; and I know how efficient the Civic is indeed. I intend to keep this car stock for a fair while also. 7th Gen's look clean as is.

Thanks for that! We'll see how we go. Still a few months off being 18 but I think this is "the one". Wish me luck.

Thanks again!

(BTW, your Civic is gorgeous :))

An41
08-11-2006, 02:53 PM
How much more expensive is the 05 compared to the 01?
The 05 look heaps better. My dad has the 05 and I have the EG and I just love cruising with the 05.The they are really nice cars to drive and the looks are really underrated.

Have a look at http://www.7thgencivic.com/

s2o0o
08-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Yes, I do think the facelifted model is better but again, they are priced slightly more than I am willing to spend.

Maybe in time :) If my S2000 doesn't come first :P

rhk
08-11-2006, 06:07 PM
yeah my one "was" an 05, it was a good car to cruise in but i had an accident and the car was totalled. now im waiting on an 06 vti :)

i think you will be pretty happy with the 7th gen, how much are you willing to spend?

kinez
09-11-2006, 06:54 AM
How much more expensive is the 05 compared to the 01?
The 05 look heaps better. My dad has the 05 and I have the EG and I just love cruising with the 05.The they are really nice cars to drive and the looks are really underrated.

Have a look at http://www.7thgencivic.com/

Hey! I've got a 2005, bought it just over 11 monthes ago grand spanker for 23k + my extras, but 23k bone stock.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3161&d=1162377071

Obviously, they don't make them new, the new civic is out.. I got one of the last run-out models, second hand ones range from (just did a carsales.com dealership search, interested to find out) 20k - 24k. I noticed real low k's on some of them too. Either their holding their value, or dealerships are upping the price. I duno, I'm sure private sales will be cheaper.

Goodluck with your car hunting, join Team Honda!

s2o0o
09-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry to hear that rhk :( But I am sure you will love the new Civic. The interior is amazing! I am hoping to stick to $10k as much as possible. But a little over might not hurt too much. This white one is over $13k. It's over 100k's on the clock also but I don't mind.

I am about to go to the dealership with Dad. I need to get the panels checked as such. Dad hasn't given me the 100% "OK" on it yet but I can only hope to try :) I need a car to learn manual in. The only manual in the family is an SR20DET Silvia; which I can't drive for shit :( It has a button clutch, short shifter and a bunch of other junk; and it's crap to drive. I hate it.

kinez, your Civic is very nice! Sunroof too :O Awesome :) Private sales are cheaper, but I am stricktly looking for a white, manual, 2001 model. This is the cheapest I have seen (also with the most K's). "Join Team Honda"...HAHAHA. I am pretty sure I joined the Honda crew when I was 13 years old and I never turned back :)

Thanks all!

GReddy_es
09-11-2006, 02:59 PM
just use some K+H wax and grease remover to spray behind the black strips first then use fishing line to remove the strips..after that just use the wax and grease remover to get rid of the remaining glue/double sided tape..polish up and u're good to go :)

i used to own an '01 Civic ES with full RS bodykit and grille..was great to drive..lacked the power though..but was all good

enjoy ur new car dude :thumbsup:

rhk
09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
^^^ good advice from greddy es,

but yah, hopefully you will get the ok from your dad and you will be in a new 7th gen soon :)

GReddy_es
09-11-2006, 05:33 PM
^^^ good advice from greddy es,

but yah, hopefully you will get the ok from your dad and you will be in a new 7th gen soon :)

haha..i've debadged 3 cars now..so the procedure is pretty standard but hard on the fingers..but yeah..i think the ES series is a pretty good first car to own..and will look great with the right kits and rims..a pity my labtop crashed..i had some pics of my old car...i'll see if i can find some somewhere

3310that's the RS Grille from Honda(singapore)

RS Bodykit(Front,side and rear skirts/lips)
33113312 3313

s2o0o
09-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks GReddy_es! Rep point +

So I went to the dealership and I am in total awe! The car is absolutely stunning and has been kept in prestine condition. Dad thinks it's good too but he wants to wait around and see if another one comes along closer to my 18th birthday :( The thing is - IT'S THE ONE I WANT! I have been looking for a white 7th Gen for ages :( and this one is in the budget! :( It's only 4 months till I am 18 and I know that Civic won't stay there that long. It's cheaper than Private Sales!

Maybe I am being a spoiled little shit but can anyone give me some ideas to push my Dad :P? HAHAHA. I just finished Year 12 and I don't think my scores are going to be outstanding; so I need to get the car NOW. HAHAHAHAHA! Ah well.

Thanks for you help all, I will keep you posted ;)

GReddy_es
09-11-2006, 06:12 PM
maybe u shld look online to see if there are others in the market from private owners..i would think there would be quite a handful in melb :)

s2o0o
09-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Not in white and at that price :(

Manual also :(

Trust me I have checked Firesport, OzHonda, Carpoint, Carsales, Carcity and so on...

GReddy_es
09-11-2006, 06:26 PM
oh ok..sometimes it pays to be alil patient when it comes to this..u dun wanna regret u know :) might just be worth looking somemore..how much is it going for anyway?

s2o0o
09-11-2006, 06:30 PM
It's only 13k! And I reckon I could push it down with my piss and moan negotation skills...and by saying I do not want the 3 years parts and labour warranty (They are offering it free). Although it's a good idea to have it I just want the car in my posession :(

GReddy_es
09-11-2006, 06:35 PM
good luck with ur negotiation then!:thumbsup:
u can do it..haha

s2o0o
09-11-2006, 06:37 PM
The RS kit looks awesome! I'm not a spoiler fan myself but that's nice!

Yep, looking like nagging with Dad is on the cards. HAHA.

GReddy_es
09-11-2006, 06:41 PM
yeah..my sentiments exactly..the car looks great with just the skirts all round..thats wad i had on my ES8..it was white as well..with the front and rear chrome strips color coded :)

rhk
10-11-2006, 04:15 AM
tell your dad that if he buys you the civic you can drag his s13 lol... (well maybe not but ahh well haha)

i made a deal with my dad when i got my 05 7th gen (he was only going to spend 20) but i said if he buys me the civic i will boost my grades up and if not ill pay the 3500 extra ( the car was 23500) which he agreed to and bought the civic. luckily i boosted my grades and didnt have to pay the 3500 haha. just make a reasonable deal with yours and also put up the argument that:

- the car is cheap
- there are no white ones
-the car is a relatively new car which is a steal for 13k (its cheap)
- insurance is not much at all
- the car is cheap
-fuel efficiency is awesome (i got 500+ km from a 45-50$ tank when i had mine [manual])
-car is cheap
-honda reliability
-probably wont find another 7th gen for that price for a while
- get him to take it for a test drive
- offer him use of it sometimes
- the car is cheap lol

etc etc

anyways hope it goes well

greddy: your car looks hot dude

s2o0o
10-11-2006, 09:36 AM
GReddy_es, have you got pics of the white one? :)

rhk, HAHAHA my dad in the S13? I don't think so. It's my sisters car now (did belong to my brother but she has bought it). She also has an Impreza. As you can see, the whole family owns an import. (Dad - Nimbus, Mum - Impreza, Other sister - Lude...) and so on. HAHAHA.

Boosted your grades? HAHA. Here I am on OzHonda when my last exam is on in an hour. I don't think thats an option! HAHA.

All your points are valid! I really need to get this.

Well I have to get going but I will be back! I'll explain the financial side of it soon. Mum has next to no negotiation skills with Dad. How I need this right now! :(

It's cheap! HAHAHA!

GReddy_es
10-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Finally found a white one with the RS bodykit :)

rhk
10-11-2006, 03:50 PM
lol s2000, good luck in your last exam haha. just stick to fuel efficient/low insurance costs (mine as around 600 and i was on p's for full comp)/ low car price and you should be fine :P

Alpine
10-11-2006, 09:49 PM
im pretty sure that is a grandma option, as to being white underneath it probably is as they( the honda dealership) would have just placed the strip over the painted chassis after the car was landed. however you might have nasty glue and crap that might stay on the paint. are you looking at buying the white one?

if you get it taken off it should look like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/milba/146_4690.jpg

clean and nice :)

That picture you posted above made me realise something. Notice the color of the silver on the rear bumper is a slightly different shade than the silver on the rest of the car?? It seems to be consistent across the 7th gens coz my father-in-law's car also has the same characteristic - look at the shade of color on the rear bumper compared to the body of the car:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3794/pic012mediumcz9.jpg

In any case, I think the facelifted 7th gen looks nicer. Here are more shots of the facelifted 7 - the front end is simply overall more aggressive and attractive than the non-facelifted version.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1279/pic008mediumiw2.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5559/pic010mediumbf4.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9656/pic009mediumxt4.jpg

kinez
11-11-2006, 12:14 AM
not on mine buddy!!!

rhk
11-11-2006, 03:46 PM
which section alpine?
can you circle them cause i cant really tell xD~ lols

edit - ncie car :P

GReddy_es
11-11-2006, 04:54 PM
which section alpine?
can you circle them cause i cant really tell xD~ lols

edit - ncie car :P

its the rear bumper of both cars..u'll see that they seem alil off in shades..could be the lighting..:)

rhk
11-11-2006, 06:00 PM
oh yeah now i see it :P

i think it might be the lighting tho, i never noticed it when i had my 7th gen but maybe thats because i didnt know where to look, haha

s2o0o
13-11-2006, 09:45 PM
That white Civic is a dream! Really gorgeous!

GOOD NEWS ALL...

Deposit is going on it on Wednesday hopefully. I went to the dealer with the parents on Sunday and they said to get the price down. So I went there today with a male friend who checked it all. We saw the log books, all the details and it has been 100% treated perfectly by the one owner (who was a female; not that that means anything these days). I asked to remove the 3 years parts/labour warranty and I could get it slightly cheaper. Dad wants me to push it to $11,000 - I think $12,000 and they will take it. IT'S ABSOLUTLEY IMMACULATE! I am going to get it inspected by the RACV to confirm it's condition (Under mum's name on RACV wooo! discount!).

Alpine, this is also the case on many cars. Reason being is that the rear bumper is plastic - and the panels are metal.

Thank you all so very much for your sound advice thus far! If I get it I will be certain to show you all after shots of the grandma-spec removal :)

I'M SO EXCITED!

rhk
14-11-2006, 02:33 AM
good stuff! :thumbsup:

hmm are you sure you want to get rid of the warranty? i would efinatey get the warrenty and then purposely work out every problem and get the dealership to replace everything wrong with the car for free :P
i found that i had a problem with my driver side window, idle solenoid, scratches on the dash trim and a few other bits and pieces on my BRAND NEW 7th gen which i thought was pretty crappy but luckily i got it all replaced under warrenty (its just good to have it :P) but in terms of the car cant wait to see pics + removal of the grandma strips :P

kinez
14-11-2006, 07:16 AM
hmm are you sure you want to get rid of the warranty? i would efinatey get the warrenty and then purposely work out every problem and get the dealership to replace everything wrong with the car for free :P

!!! He has a point there, unless you know that everything on that car is perfect.. and will stay in one piece when you leave the dealership.. I think it's wise to pay a little extra for a guarantee that something stuffs up and is not caused by you, it's on the dealerships' head to replace things. Warranty is your friend, don't ditch a friend :)

Sorry to be a downer on the whole exciting feel of buying & owning a new car, I know how it feels, & dealing with some negativity.. but it's just advice! Decision is always yours.

Goodluck, post pics!! There's plenty of goodies you can get for that model!

s2o0o
14-11-2006, 09:45 AM
rhk, the warranty replaces up to $1500 over 3 years. Did I mention I have a mechanic and panel beater in the family? HAHAHA. Even having that said, I know how expensive Honda parts can be! Yeah, my Mum said it's best if I do keep the warranty but I will be getting it RACV tested which includes the compression test and all that other stuff so we're just going to have to see. They will have to make the car roadworthy before I buy it anyhow, and I pointed out a small crack in the rear taillight which will need replacing since moisture has gotten slightly inside (You should have seen Melbournes shitty weather yesterday also) HAHA. That is unroadworthy and he dealer said it will be fixed. Pics will be up later all :)

kinez, like mentioned; It will be thoroughly examined by the RACV. If it only knocks the price off by a few hundred dollars, I won't bother. HAHAHA Don't ditch a friend. HAHAHA! My Dad still wants me to lower the price but I don't see it happening. Damn asians and their bargaining!

Goodies for this model? :) I have been checking out http://www.7thgencivic.com/ and alot of it seems to be Americanised. The RS kit which has been posted in this thread is my favourite so far! I like nice and clean lips, nothing too drastic. Besides thats a long time coming :) I need to get the car first :P

Thanks for the advice. It's greatly appreciated all.

rhk
14-11-2006, 05:41 PM
ah no you didnt mention that you had a mechanic and panel beater in the family haha. well if your happy what are you waiting around for. you should be at the dealership buying it already hahaha :P

btw get the rs kit :P looks hot

denot
15-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey, I have that 2001 silver model for 2 years until I bought the new Civic sport. If you ask me, I prefer my old car better than this one... :(

Comments on some post:
1. the rubber is an optional aftermarket stuff (my mate have a white one and doesnt have those ugly things around it)
2. my front and rear bumper looks slightly different colour with the body colour as well (and also one of the car I saw in my mechanic place)
3. I'm going to sell my car soon... any1 interested? only run 59k until yesterday... =p

rhk
15-11-2006, 07:02 PM
denot - really? you would rather the 7th gen over the 8th gen? why is that? ill take it if you wanna trade for a half drunk bottle of powerrade (blue) and a note pad :P

srsly tho whats the diff between the 7th and 8ths that makes you say that? cause im getting mine in the next few days

ps. sorry for thread jacking

egSi
15-11-2006, 10:22 PM
i like the black bumper strip, adds contrast imo :thumbsup:

7th gen > 8th gen imo

Saracen
16-11-2006, 02:45 PM
7th gen > 8th gen imo

I agree... but that's cos I have one :p

rhk
16-11-2006, 05:47 PM
i dunno i used to own a face lifterd 05 7th gen and i have to say

looks- 8th gen
power - 8th gen
interior - 8th gen
8th gen comes with factory mp3 player

having said that tho i have to say that its a bit crappy that the vti comes with steelies rather than rims like the 7th gen gli.

s2o0o
19-11-2006, 05:09 PM
So, I am picking my baby up soon :) YEP! She's coming home!

I did not manage to get the price down AT ALL. The RACV Test was basically nothing. It reads as follows;

Engine
- Oil level/condition
appears due for service.

Electical
- Stop Lights. Operation, Pass/Side
inoperative.

- Park/Tail Lights. Tail lamp, Pass/Side
superficial crack/s evident.

Misc
Other items. Radio.
inoperative, security code required.

HAHAHAHA. The last one makes me laugh. The battery would have been changed I reckon. They will fix that immediately for me (even though I already have a new headunit to install)

So I reckon I have hit a brick wall again. Now I fear that the paint is going to come off when removing the black strips. I asked the dealer about it, and he says the double-sided adhesive is some pretty strong stuff. Dad also commented on the black strips (he likes them) and says not to remove them because the paint will come off? Like it did with his old Nimbus...HAHAHA. Do you reckon I should just hand it over to a Honda Mechanic to yank off? Because I reckon they should know what to do. Afterall; they are the ones who put it on in the first place :P Help!

rhk, I am keen on the RS lips :) So far it's the best kit for the 7th Gen IMO. With time, I will be sure to look into purchasing a kit :) Blue Powerade rocks :O

denot, You prefer your old Civ :( It's hard letting go I reckon. My sister wants to purchase a new car at present as she has had her Impreza for 4 years or so (first car). Time for an upgrade she believes, but she has put so much work into it!

Thanks for the replies all! Much appreciated.

s2o0o
19-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Another quick question whilst I am here;

Would the 2004 taillights fit on a MY01?

Just weighing up the style of the two. If I need to replace my cracked taillight, I might as well change both :)

Thanks!

Saracen
20-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Hey,

I looked into this a while ago. All 7th gen tail lights are interchangeable. I reckon the 04/05 ones look much better than our 01.

I never bought them, but maybe if we round up enough people we can get a bulk buy discount from Honda :p

rhk
20-11-2006, 08:52 PM
just get them off 7thgencivic.com

they are heaps of dumbasses interchanging 04/05 tail lights for rank altezzas and a lot are up for sale.

Saracen
21-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I thought about doing that, but I'm soo confused with all the US models.

There's all these different variations (EX, GX, LX etc) and then there's the coupe which wasn't even sold here.

Hard to know what will fit.

s2o0o
23-11-2006, 02:56 PM
HAHAHA Altezza's. Although they are on my sisters Impreza, I have grown a mild dislike to them. Especially since 90% of Lancer's have them these days too = yuck!

So, I want to keep as factory as possible. I don't really need to IMPORT them do I? HAHA. I might just find some around here. Anyone? 04/05 taillights? :D SHOTGUN!

denot
23-11-2006, 03:09 PM
On topic: I hate alteza taillight as well, looks "LANCERish"

Off topic:

i dunno i used to own a face lifterd 05 7th gen and i have to say

looks- 8th gen
power - 8th gen
interior - 8th gen
8th gen comes with factory mp3 player

having said that tho i have to say that its a bit crappy that the vti comes with steelies rather than rims like the 7th gen gli.

Looks - 8th Gen (beside our Australian Round tail lights (GTR Wannabe?)
Power - 7th Gen better (this is only comparison of 2 auto car, and in 8th gen theres this 1-2 sec dellay before you can really accel on the red light)
interior - 8th Gen all the way ( I owned a Civic Sports thats why)

Oh btw, about the power... I compared my 8th Gen Civic Sport auto (top of the range) with my 7th Gen GLi Auto (bottom of the range)

well... this is just my personal opinion... =p

Saracen
23-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Anyone? 04/05 taillights? :D SHOTGUN!

Dream on. They're mine!!

I'm looking at getting front and rear lips as well. Maybe if you're interested too we can work something out with Honda, drop the price a little :p

You should probably focus on getting rid of those black strips first though, or at least spraying them!

s2o0o
23-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Dream on. They're mine!!

I'm looking at getting front and rear lips as well. Maybe if you're interested too we can work something out with Honda, drop the price a little :p

You should probably focus on getting rid of those black strips first though, or at least spraying them!

HAHAHA. Going into the future a little (okay - by far); I was thinking of converting to 5 stud to fit Honda S2000 AP2 (04'-05') wheels. HAHAHA. So I will be fighting to get ORIGINAL AP2 wheels also. I'm willing to fight you :p I want front/rear/side lips also! (minus a boot spoiler) :) Maybe we can work something out with Honda :) Hmmm. Let me get the car first! And see what leftover monies I have lying around (even though I do owe the parents a great deal) :honda:

Can someone show me factory lips? I haven't seen any for the 01'?

Saracen
23-11-2006, 03:48 PM
I couldn't find any pictures on the net. Went to Honda spare parts today in Essendon and had a look on their computer. They look alright. They're nice and neat.

The lips are ~300 each, and a while back when I checked the side skirts were $480 a pair. The benefit is, they're good quality plastic and they come pre-coloured. Then we chuck in a pair of 05 tail lights at ~160 each and we're set. $920, or $1400 with the side skirts too (I already have em).

Start saving? :p

rhk
23-11-2006, 04:07 PM
^ thats not too bad. pity tho that you cant get face lifted head lights on 01-03 7th gens

s2o0o
23-11-2006, 04:22 PM
I couldn't find any pictures on the net. Went to Honda spare parts today in Essendon and had a look on their computer. They look alright. They're nice and neat.

The lips are ~300 each, and a while back when I checked the side skirts were $480 a pair. The benefit is, they're good quality plastic and they come pre-coloured. Then we chuck in a pair of 05 tail lights at ~160 each and we're set. $920, or $1400 with the side skirts too (I already have em).

Start saving? :p

I like the RS lips but I am willing to get stocks. Gee, not one picture on the Internet! My life is over!!! ;)

Yep, finding a part time job now :) HAHAHA. So I will be saving a little more :)

Can anyone give me an idea about what HONDA wheels I can get to fit the Civic? I am plain, boring, and am reluctant to resort to chromies for my ride. I like the Accord Euro wheels as such. Hmm S2000 17"s :eek: But yeah. How can I go about fitting these to my Civic?

Below are Accord Euro Type R and the Accord Euro Normal wheels...

Can anyone suggest other Honda wheels?

http://www.jdmmanager.com/images/6w/19cl7r-5.jpg

s2o0o
23-11-2006, 04:38 PM
http://photos4.ebizautos.com/6015/1129090_1_400.jpg

Again, the AP2 wheels...:(

Man I love the S2000.