PDA

View Full Version : Tips on getting the front passenger lca back in

Dxs
07-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Had to replace my busted front tie bar..
when i undid the bolt for the chassis to front passenger side LCA it dropped down and to the right..

tried jacking it up while it was on ramps but no luck (was still too right)

any tips/suggestions

destrukshn
07-11-2006, 06:45 PM
too tight? or you can't get the hole straight?

Dxs
07-11-2006, 07:28 PM
can not align the hole..
if u look at it from the front
the passenger side lca is too right and low.. i can get it higher with a jack obviously.. but unsure how to move it left..
can steering the wheel a certain direction move it?

destrukshn
07-11-2006, 08:37 PM
oddish..
jacking it up should of fixed that.
becuase that's what i usually do

Dxs
07-11-2006, 09:22 PM
well i tried jacking the lca up while on ramps..
but still a little too right..

i might try to jack it when the car is on stands instead..
not a fan of that.. car ends up on 2 wheels

bennjamin
07-11-2006, 09:26 PM
you really should totally disconnect it (well , atleast remove the front suspension fork as to avoid the downward pressure onto it)
and start from the begining...
with the subframe joints first.

Dxs
07-11-2006, 09:57 PM
will it be hard to get the fork back on though?

just one bolt on the bottom of the fork?

might chuck it up on ramps again and try to work some magic

bennjamin
07-11-2006, 10:17 PM
2 bolts on the fork - top = 14mm small one , and bottom = 17mm large one witn 17mm nut too. Take those off ( bottom is under pressure so be careful) and you are that much closer..

Dxs
08-11-2006, 11:59 AM
ok i am fairly ****ed now..
lca is right out and the wheels camber steering etc is out of whack..

so you recommend i detach the fork? what do i need to do in preparation?

the way i see it, i undo the bolt from the bottom of the fork to the lca.. then the fork will come down with a lot of force (i have rsr springs and kyb shox) how will i get it back up there?

would i then be able to push the the lca back into place?

edit:
everyone likes a picture
http://i14.tinypic.com/29nhvgm.jpg

Dylanamus
08-11-2006, 12:56 PM
When my car was in the exact same position, brute force solved the problem. You need two people. The monkey who sits underneath pulling the arm towards the mount ready to get the bolt back in and another guy outside pushing the wheel inwards camber-wise.

Once the camber is fixed to the point where the LCA is actually inside the mount, what I did was set up a scizzor jack underneath the LCA to micro-manage the alignment until the holes lined up.

The guy pushing the wheel inwards had to maintain pressure for the whole process. It does require quite a lot of force to do it this way though, so make sure your friend is a tank and maybe even park the car so that it's close to a side-on wall so he can use it as a brace to push against.

There are probably other ways to do it that are easier, but this way worked for me. Trying to do this job on your own without a lift is a recipe for frustration. It will be a lot easier with some help.

bennjamin
08-11-2006, 06:46 PM
if u are CLOSE to lining up the hole ~ a long screwdriver or similar shove in and "roll" it around to line up the hole better works a charm :)

Dxs
08-11-2006, 11:27 PM
yeah, did that with my rear lca's..
this is a different story

if i dont return... u know i have been crushed by 950kg's of EF8

Dylanamus
09-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Well it can be done with a bit of elbow grease. But yours looks to have sagged quite a bit and pushing it back won't be easy. Short of taking benjamin's earlier advice, seriously invite some friends around and get them all to push the tyre from the bottom until the links are at least close enough for the jack to help. Or get really inventive and park close to a wall and set the jack up laterally to force the bottom of the wheel in that way. Could just be crazy enough to work haha

JasonGilholme
09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
is your car on jack stands or on ramps??

I helps when you have no weight on the wheels at all/ Also, take the wheel off cause that will make life easier and the jack the hub up and use some brute force to push taht baby into place.

Also, if you'r usin jack stands you should be able to hit the car pretty hard without it even budging. i installed new discs the other night and i hit those screws pretty hard with the impact driver. Car didn't move a bit.

Dxs
09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
i think the problem is that the driveshaft has come out of the inner cv joint.. is that possible?
i am a amateur when it comes to fwd driveshafts..

looks like i will have to do some reading.. the boot is cracked as well, and looks like a fresh crack, maybe when the lca poped out it pulled out the shaft from the inner cv..

looks like the shaft has come out of the boot by around 8mm

Dxs
09-11-2006, 12:30 PM
well i have to change the inner boot anyway because it is now cracked..
which means i have to disconnect the fork.. so hopefully when the shaft is out etc etc.. it will be easy to pop the lca in..

so onto this thread:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=967298#post967298

Dxs
10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
hahhaha dude,
i planned to do a few things to my car..

replace my oil pan
check out my pcv
replace my broken tie bar

ends up my oil pan is glued to my block so i spend a whille getting a razor blade into this hardcore sealant and smashing coins into to break the seal..

my pcv shatters to shit when trying to pull it out because it is so old and i end up having to cut some hoses to get under the intake mani.. so it takes a day to replace these annoying hose and make a custom pcv setup..

then i replace the tiebar and the lca drops and the axle comes out and the boot is split..

lalallala.. fun and games being a backyard mechanic