PDA

View Full Version : Help with tyre selection

crx51
08-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Gday guys, i know there are plenty of tyre threads and im bound to have somebody state this so i thought id get in first. Im after 195/50/15's and they are becoming a size thats a bit rare these days so tyre choice is quickly limited. Basically im after the advice of people that have quite probably driven on these tyres rather than somebody at a tyre shop that has contracts with certain companies so will try to sell whatever he gets a higher commission on. "oh vredestein's will destroy michelin pilot sport cup wet/dry every time!".
If i had the know how id put up a voting thing but these are the tyres. Its a good size for people with eg civics and ed/ef crxs and things so could become a good post for people who dont have the possibility of contisports or something due to their size config.
Tyres are as follows, any comments or preferences are welcome- Basically i will pay the premium for the best stickiest tyre in this size!

-Goodyear Eagle F1 gsd3 - (i would HIGHLY recommend this tyre to anyone buying over a 17inch) but 15inch made in thailand or something not Germany so im not sure
-Toyo proxes 4, t1r's
-Michelin pilot preceda II
-yokohama es100
-pirelli dragon
-bridgestone gIII
-dunlop direzza dz101

Im also interested in the yoko advan ad07 neova and toyo r888 as ive heard they are a good compromise as they are quick to warm up and arent treacherous in the wet.
Everyones opinion would be valued buying tyres in the next 10days (wheels arriving then).

chunky
08-11-2006, 07:15 PM
i like kumho tyres
kum-ho hehe

Penguin
08-11-2006, 07:49 PM
i'm running toyo t1rs in the exact specs you mentioned, $140 each fitted and balanced. they are pretty good, for me it was a toss-up between the michelin pp2 and the toyos....in the end the toyos at $140 got the nod because the michelins are $170@ jax tyres and theres not that much noticeable difference.

the only thing i noticed with the toyos is that the sidewalls are softer than the bridgestones that came with my car, but for lateral grip they are awesome. just doesn't like S-L-O-W and T-I-G-H-T turns, it just makes a funny scraping noise when you do those turns.

crx51
08-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Good stuff thanks mate. Yeah the pp2's are what ive been looking at getting. The price is quite high but i would happily pay it if they give me something exceptional but they would need to be exactly that. When i started looking around on here i saw the advan ad07s though and im starting to think i might even go that way. I really love having grippy tyres.

Anyone else's opinions still welcomed..

a1086528
08-11-2006, 09:08 PM
getting toyo proxes 4 in 195/50/15 next week, will let you know then how good they are. currently got bridgestone potenza re040:)

Spunkymonkey
09-11-2006, 08:52 PM
dunlop dz101 direzzas are end of line, so product you buy may have been sitting around for a while. I had these on the front for a couple of years. Pretty good, started to loose grip when low on tread, and I put the hd clutch in. Wheel spin in the wet, when low on tread too and hd clutch in....before then they were quite good, although I still preferred my dunlop fm901's in comparison.

I'd suggest seeing if you can get the dunlop sp sport max in your size...not sure if they make it in the size your after...give your local dunlop dealer a call though, as the dunlop site isn't up to date with sizes. I've got these currently on the car. Very good

crx51
09-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks guys, all posts are helpful. spunkymonkey fm901's were good tyres. I will look into sport maxx but i dont think they available in right size. Thanks everyone who has helped out so far. Ive spent hours at work looking up internet reviews and things. Appreciate everyone's input.
Anyone else with comments??

barefootbonzai
10-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Advan AD07 is one of the best street tyre you can have. All them tyres you mentioned ain't even in the same league.

crx51
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Advan AD07 is one of the best street tyre you can have. All them tyres you mentioned ain't even in the same league.

Id love some ad07s in 195/50 but i cant find anyone with them. The guy on here that sells them has 55s but not 50s. If i could find someone who could supply me 195/50 ad07s for a reasonable price id buy them on the spot. They are just difficult to get hold of.

EK4R
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
how much are GIII for the profile you know??
i got the 05 wheel mag tyre test result and GIII wont everyting xcept for wet corning i believe which came 2-3rd. overall it was 1st. but yea i heard toyo t1rs is similiar?? and at 140 fitted shouldnt b so bad.

DLO01
10-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Try this website. I found it very helpfull.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

I am sure Ed (Maxhondapower) can get you Yoko Ad07 ordered for you if you can wait.

I have used Brig G3, Goodyear F1, and Toyo T1r.

I like the Toyo T1r, they feel great. I never liked the F1's and the G3's are also a great tyre.

If you want a sticky dry tyre go for the street legal semi-slicks like the Toyo R888.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

crx51
10-11-2006, 03:49 PM
again everyones posts are good and informative. Yeah tirerack is a good resource. Ive scoured its contents. I think im in a position where i'd love to get a street legal semi slick in my size but i think due to the fact i need them in the next 2weeks or so i may end up with the es100 or pp2s or something. Anybody else driven on anything that really impressed them?

misterpoh
10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
My cash will be on the Toyo T1Rs. Cheap and good. Bang for Buck.

Penguin
11-11-2006, 12:14 PM
yeah me too.....i'm rolling on t1r and i love them.....only complaint is the sidewall flex.

EK4R
11-11-2006, 12:15 PM
^^ how much are they around?
15 and 16s

Penguin
11-11-2006, 09:45 PM
not sure about 16s, but blair's was doin them for $140 each for 195/50R15 fitted and balanced.....so 4 tyres would be $560.....its pretty cheap considering the performance of the tyre...but then again its also a common size.

misterpoh
11-11-2006, 10:05 PM
^^ Im rolling on 16s. $175 per piece, balanced and fitted.

EDIT : 205/45/16

EG30
12-11-2006, 05:11 AM
Goodyear GSD3 best of the best in the wet, those tread grooves stays sharp even as the tyres get worn thus breaking the surface tension of water on the road esp when the roads are not very wet ie greasy. Downside of this tyre is that the tread pattern generate a lot of tyre noise esp after half worn which might or might not bother you. Was hoping to get this for my EG civic on fat fives/195/50R15 but they were out of stock so I bought the BFG G force sport ( also made in Thailland ) instead which I'm v happy with. Won't worry about the country of origin for a multinational company like Goodyear.

ES100 gets not only noisy after 1-2 years in service, but also hard as a rock and loses much of its grip.

Precedas are the most $$$, but rides the best, very quiet, good predictable grip, and retains much of its grip all the way down the the treadwear indicators.

GIIIs tread blocks feels flexy when new, less so once it's 20-30% worn. Forgiving and predictable tyre.

DZ101's gets rave reviews at the tirerack website user surveys, not a cheap tyre and priced closer to the Precedas than the GSD3's.

DLO01
12-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't think Yoko make the ES100's anymore. This is the tyre I was going to go for but no one could get them and I am sure they said they don't make them anymore.

DLO01
12-11-2006, 06:52 PM
^^ Im rolling on 16s. $175 per piece, balanced and fitted.

EDIT : 205/45/16
Yeh, thats a good price. I got the same size for $174 Toyo T1R.
Great value tyre for a Ultra High Performance tyre.

Thats the best price I got (tyreworks Moss St). Other places were selling them for $19X etc.