PDA

View Full Version : Rotors For 5th Gen

chalky
09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey peeps..

can some one give the word on slotted rotors for a 97 lude..The stock disc rotors look like shit under my rims..they are always brown in colour (rusted) and new slotted ones dont seem too expensive of a mod. plus they look awesome. check this out for an idea of what im talking

about:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SR-Dr...spagenameZWD2V

so my questions:

is this a scam?
and are there any benefits of having slotted rotors over the stockie disc rotors??

Filo_xtc01
09-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Link no worky...

chalky
09-11-2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.dba.com.au/4000series/default.asp

that link is to some dodgy rotors sold off ebay..this is what im really thinking of buying

http://www.dba.com.au/4000series/default.asp

CUL8R
09-11-2006, 05:06 PM
this is what im really thinking of buying
lol yeah once everyone on PA replied saying wtf is the point of buying cheap rotors ect.

mj3610
09-11-2006, 09:13 PM
lol yeah once everyone on PA replied saying wtf is the point of buying cheap rotors ect.
brake rotors sold in australia all have to comply with australian standards, u'd be surprised at how many expensive brand rotors perform the same as the so called "cheap dodgy ones" yet they're double and sometimes triple the price, its up to you tho, just dont get sucked in by advertising and marketing :D

Mrkrooz
10-11-2006, 11:53 AM
^^ wise words....

CUL8R
10-11-2006, 12:54 PM
brake rotors sold in australia all have to comply with australian standards, u'd be surprised at how many expensive brand rotors perform the same as the so called "cheap dodgy ones" yet they're double and sometimes triple the price, its up to you tho, just dont get sucked in by advertising and marketing :D
but would u entrust ur life with 99 dollar ebay rotors!

94vtirozguy
10-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Also would you entrust if you had accident and insurance turns around and says they are not covering you.

mj3610
10-11-2006, 02:10 PM
but would u entrust ur life with 99 dollar ebay rotors!
lol yeah definately not the ebay ones, they're from america and might not comply with australian standards.
but whats wrong with lets say dba rotors which are $120 each and cheaper local brands such as propex or something which are $55 each for normal rotors, they do exactly the same thing as the jap made ones and the oem stuff...

mj3610
11-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Also would you entrust if you had accident and insurance turns around and says they are not covering you.
lol i just saw that, no offense thats the STUPIDEST thing i've ever heard and i've heard pretty stupid things on this site, so are u tellin me if u purchase a local made rotor which complies with all the australian standards and u have an accident for some reason, the insurance company will send some kind of a inspector to check every little component of ur car and then tell the cause of the accident and then say "we're not paying u because u dont have drilled/slotted rotors"?
or would he just say ur an idiot and just slammed into someones ass and its ur fault (in which case ur still covered but ur premiums gonna go up the roof).

i accept that sometimes paying more and buying better IS better especially if its for something like this where good braking is essential for the safety of the car, but dont be rediculous and say its for insurance purposes...

nigs
11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
So does anyone have prices for DBA or RDA slotted rotors for a Prelude?
I rang up some suppliers for DBA. Around $200 a piece......all I can say is W T F.
And they're just prices, no one actually stocks them and order time is like 3 weeks.

Anyone know of where I can get slotted rotors soonish for a good price? IMO $200 is over priced.

CUL8R
11-11-2006, 02:14 PM
lol i just saw that, no offense thats the STUPIDEST thing i've ever heard and i've heard pretty stupid things on this site, so are u tellin me if u purchase a local made rotor which complies with all the australian standards and u have an accident for some reason, the insurance company will send some kind of a inspector to check every little component of ur car and then tell the cause of the accident and then say "we're not paying u because u dont have drilled/slotted rotors"?
or would he just say ur an idiot and just slammed into someones ass and its ur fault (in which case ur still covered but ur premiums gonna go up the roof).

i accept that sometimes paying more and buying better IS better especially if its for something like this where good braking is essential for the safety of the car, but dont be rediculous and say its for insurance purposes...
i think what he meant was is u get rotors not compliable with aus standards and u total ur car, insurance may just have an escape door.
a good reason as to mod legally, to a point neways

94vtirozguy
11-11-2006, 03:08 PM

before you reply read before you engage your fingers. I said if you chose cheaper non Aussie compliant rotors you are asking for trouble.

buzz_civic
19-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Hey guys, i have just bought myself a set of DBA 4000series (cross drilled slotted) for 1000 bucks but had to buy ceramic pads too. I drive a 1999 Vtir Lude... i waited 3 - 4 days.

CUL8R
19-11-2006, 07:06 PM
u went drilled??????
dont be trying them out on the track, make sure u heat cycle them propperly too...

My heat cycling process
-At 100kph, left foot brake for 30m then release.
- Cruise for 2km
- At 100kph, left foot brake for 40m then release.
-Cruise for 3km
- At 100kph, left foot brake for 50m then release
-Cruise for 4km.
-Repeat
-Cruise for 10kms without use of brakes to cool down before parking it.

As a rule of thumb, break in new rotors with used (bedded in pads) and bed in new pads with broken in rotors (heat cycled).

buzz_civic
25-11-2006, 11:04 AM
wats wrong with drilled rotars, and why arent they suitable for track?

Penguin King
09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't see the point of getting slotted rotors as the only reason for it is excessive brake dust. e.g. back in the olden days. Just don't buy cheap pads. If there's been a comprehensive comparison test done then I would like to know about it.

Lukather
18-12-2007, 11:16 PM
I have a 4th gen VTI-R lude, but I'm sure most of what I say can relate to the 5th gen.

Im going to get blank RDA's for mine. IMO that's enough for the street and I don't plan to track the car anytime soon. Anyway, I was quoted around $60 each for the fronts and $45 each for the rear. So looking at roughly $210 all up.

Oh yeah, and Lucas pads ftw...

Mitchman
20-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Lukather go on preludeaustralia.com and check up on Racinghondas thread about RDA pads vs DBAs, RDAs are good enough for the street but yeah if you want a Realy quality set get teh slotted DBAs
ANYONE ON OzH SELL THEM CHEAP??? lol

Lukather
20-12-2007, 06:23 PM
There's no doubt that DBA's, and in particular their slotted range, are a quality rotor. However I was quoted $165 EACH for the fronts, and $98 each for the rears, so about $526 all up. Thanks but no thanks, i think i'll stick to my half-the-price RDA's for now...

Mitchman
21-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't see the point of getting slotted rotors as the only reason for it is excessive brake dust. e.g. back in the olden days. Just don't buy cheap pads. If there's been a comprehensive comparison test done then I would like to know about it.

oh u have much to learn padewon lol.... they are a way to release built up heat from the rotor check out any race car and you will see why they are still used :p