PDA

View Full Version : EF8 Inner CV boot and driveshaft (parts that match and help).

Dxs
09-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Ok, as usual i start to do a basic job and it snowballs.
I was just replacing a front tie bar and the lca popped out.. and when i tried to drive the car back on ramps it when clunk clunk clunk...

so it looks like the passenger side shaft has popped out.. the shaft seems around 8mm out of the inner cv boot.. so i guess it has poped out..

anyway.. the inner boot is cracked needs replacing..

question time
What parts do i need and do other parts from another honda work? (this is from the ED crx manual)
http://i14.tinypic.com/4grkhuu.jpg
SET RING
BIG BOOT BAND
SMALL BOOT BAND
INNER BOOT
SET RING
SET RING GROOVE

that's all? what is compatible with say a b16a2 gen3 crx parts work?
should i use a special grease?

i need tips on doing this procedure too.. i am a damn amateur

i am concerned about removing the shock fork too.. i have rsr springs and kyb shox.. how could i get it back on afterwards and wouldnt it come down with a lot of force?

URBAN4
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I had to replace one outer boot on my gf's DA9 so I went ahead and did all four of them (inner & outer, both sides). I got the kits from a shop close by, the kits should have everything you need: the bands, the boots, the rings, the grease to pack it with. Cost me under $58 for all four kits, so if you're doing just one it'll be pretty cheap. That was cash price too.

If you have the full workshop manual it'll be easy, everything should be detailed in there.

Another suggestion would be to very thoroughly clean inside if the boot has cracked right through (i.e. spitting grease everywhere), I took all of them apart and cleaned them in the parts washer, then reassembled. But if, as you say, you're an amateur maybe see if you know of anyone who can take it apart for you and clean it (and put it together if you really don't know what you're doing).

Or you can risk having crap in there and have to later buy new cv joints and have to put them in again.:thumbdwn:

You'll need a tool to do the bands up, you can buy a cheapo one from Repco for about 60 bucks, or a really good one by Band-It for about $300, but I got my local driveshaft place to do it for free.

Does that help a bit?

Dxs
09-11-2006, 04:22 PM
yeah helpful urban..
need to know where and what parts i can get (because no one will have stuff for ef8)

i think i might change both boots on the passenger side..
and i dont need the 'set ring groove' i presume that is in the box and not an actual part

what about the fork.. how did u go about getting that back onto the lca?

and do others wanna hook me up with some info too

ECU-MAN
09-11-2006, 09:07 PM
cv boots and joints are the same as DA3,6,9 ED9 EG2

the fork simply fit onto the lca, you dont need to do anyting tricky

Dxs
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
wicked.. just what i wanted to hear ecuman.. :) :) thanks!

after reading the workshop manual, reading a diy on a nz integra site and speaking to my mate who works at abs clutches.. i am feeling quite confident about this operation

ECU-MAN
09-11-2006, 09:12 PM
its a fun job not

its not hard but messy, I tried to make a DIY but got feed up and couldnt take photos with very dirty hands. shit goes everywhere.

good luck with it

Dxs
09-11-2006, 09:24 PM
yeah cheers man.. i am used to getting messy

there is no special grease to use is there?
and i hear most people dont change the 'set ring' should i not bother too (and is it the same as DA tegs?)?

ECU-MAN
09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
I always purchase a CV boot kit

comes with the boot, CV grease ( dont use ordinary stuff ), c clip, and two clamps

I only change the c clip if the old one is damaged or thrashed.

get your self the corect CV joint grease.

apart from the size all honda cv joints are the same concept.

panda[cRx]
10-11-2006, 09:33 AM
as ecuman said quite a few of the cv boot kits are interchangable, just grab the kit it's got everything you need. i gave a mate a hand doin it on his civic and it wasn't too bad. we replaced all of em, i'd prolly suggest doing the same thing as if one has gone the others most likely wouldn't be far off either