PDA

View Full Version : Changing transmissions

Dylanamus
09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Ok I have a 1990 CRX SiR - EF8 and I believe it has a B16a Y1 cable transmission.

I'm exploring the idea of upgrading to a hydro LSD transmission, but am a bit blind to what would be involved, what is possible (with limited resources) and what is economically viable (ie not cost a million dollars in labour).

If I could, I would just do a full engine/transmission swap, but it will be more like years instead of months before I can do that.

So for now I'm looking at the options available in keeping my existing engine and might end up just rebuilding it instead of doing a swap anyway.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

SLOWEGG
09-11-2006, 04:10 PM
You will need a hydro tranny and a cable > hydro kit from hasport.

Dylanamus
10-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I've heard rumours about issues with those cable-hydro kits... don't know if they are well-founded or not.

So ultimately, what would be the best option?
1. Rebuild b16a gearbox and add aftermarket LSD

2. Replace transmission with DC2 5 speed LSD and try and work out the hydro-cable conversion issue

3. Source the rare b series cable LSD transmission and do a complete swap without the cable-hydro

I guess it comes down to how much each option would cost and whether a rebuilt b16a gearbox would be as good as a second hand DC2 one... and what advantages switching to hydro entails... Can anyone shed some light?

bennjamin
10-11-2006, 02:17 PM
option 1.

Cheapest , most likely and most reliable IMO

Dylanamus
10-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Cheers bennjamin. I've heard from a number of people that the Y1 and just Honda transmissions in general are quite good. I just thought Honda might have put a bit more effort into the newer type R series boxes, making the switch a more beneficial action.

Aftermarket LSDs presents me with a lot of choices too. ATS, Cusco, KAAZ, Quaiffe. I'm waiting on an enquiry with Quaiffee, but the rest all make EF8 specific LSDs (might be useful to know for EF8 owners).

I guess the next question is what kind of LSD is the best (for circuit and mountain run)? There seem to be a lot of different kinds and also some patented technology that I haven't decyphered myself yet.

Would I be correct in assuming that an EF8 specific LSD would not affect the compatibility of clutches and flywheels? Those are the sorts of "givens" that somehow end up untrue and piss me off haha

bal
20-11-2006, 12:46 PM
didnt the EF8 SIR come with an LSD from the factory?

Dylanamus
20-11-2006, 12:50 PM
I've heard that some did, but it was rare. Based on the torque steer and single wheel spin I get, I would wager mine was not one of these rare transmissions.

destrukshn
20-11-2006, 12:56 PM
when you use a hydro kit from hasport, what do you get with it?

you can just go and get the lines slave and master cylinder, pedals and use that?

j3z3z
20-11-2006, 01:12 PM
didnt the EF8 SIR come with an LSD from the factory?

it was an option.. both gearboxes y1 and ys1 (different ratios) both had the option of lsd

Dylanamus
20-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm not exactly sure what the kit entails, but I was wondering the same thing as you. One of the options for my long term plan is to go with a b18cR frontcut and just go complete hydraulic - pedals, lines, cylinders etc After the complete swap, including the engine, what would be left over and in need of "conversion"?

bal
20-11-2006, 02:29 PM
when i was in the market for buying car i looked a few SIR crxes all had LSD and my friends 89 EF8 SIR has LSD.

I could have just looked at all the rare ones :)

have a look on the Gbox for an LSD stamp i carnt remember where it is located but from memory its pretty easy to to see someone might be able to help you with exact location.

qstoria
20-11-2006, 02:46 PM
most of them that i have seen for sale state LSD. personally i thought that the LSD was standard on JDM b16a and b18c motors (type R and siR models that is) where as the other markets, ie. AUDM and USDM only get them for the type R models. i may be wrong however

like bal said, check for a stamp on your transmission. from memory its not hard to see

CRXer
20-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Ive never researched this,no need,but the biggest prob i see with the hydro conversion is finding a gearbox mount to suit the EF8.

Hasport dont make mounts for your car,not sure if others do,but ud prob have to change all your mounts to suit the new gearbox mount,if u find one,cos they would prob have a diff engine position.Ud have to fabricate a mount.

Ive looked at my ED9 a couple of times,dreamin up ways to mount the master cylinder to the fire wall(would be quite painful) & weldin new mounts on the clutch pedal to accept the push rod,but soon got over the idea when i drove off with the hasport converter & realised it works & feels just fine,been runnin it for 6 months now,not a prob in the world.

I could be wrong,might be something out there that will bolt it all up for u,Im just talkin of my experience of standing there with a DC2 master cyl in my hand, staring at my firewall & clutch pedal, wastin good time i could be spendin on something that isnt broken.Moral of the story is hasport converter works damn fine for me.

Heres a pic if ur interested,focken hard to get anything in my engine bay these days let alone a camera & take a decent pic,sorry.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1329_1_1.jpg

Dylanamus
06-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the input everyone: sounds complicated.
If I can get a cheap CTR or ITR transmission, I'm thinking about trying to get it on my b16a.

Is anyone here familiar with such a task? I've spoken to a couple of mechanics, they're aware of the existence of the hasport cable to hydro kit, but don't really have any experience with it or really know what would be involved in getting the whole thing to work in my EF8.

Bowzer
06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Another option is to source a YS1 cable box, they share similar internals to a hydraulic gearbox it is also possible to install ITR internals with some minor modifications to the housing.

Dylanamus
06-12-2006, 02:29 PM
YS1 ... good idea! For some reason I was thinking YS1 was hydraulic, so when you mentioned it the other day I was like "just as complicated as S80 conversion". So if I got a YS1 LSD tranny would it be a task Mr Bowzer would take on? This transmission thing is next on my list of work to get done - grinding 4krpm changes into 4th while driving like a grandma really "grinds my gears" :P

Limo
11-12-2006, 02:29 AM
the "LSD" plate is just above the engine number and below the vtec soleniod and beside where your head and block meet.. but on the gearbox of course.

how much would a afermarket LSD cost? cos i was thinking of rebuilding my tranny a while back, but the cost of replacing all synchros was too much.. ~$800 RRP

Also from memory.. the SiR use the same engine mounts as the DC2R.. so you could source some stock replacements from HASPORT or new OEM ones. recomfirm with Damo tho.

Dylanamus
11-12-2006, 01:23 PM
$800 is like the low end cost for aftermarket LSDs. What are you thinking? Mechanical or clutch style? One of the more globally reknowned torque sensing mechanical LSDs is the Quaife, which goes for about $950USD + shipping from USA. A nice contrast is the ATS carbon clutch style 1.5 way LSD for about $1800AU landed.

Both have applications for the Y1. A brand new Y1 transmission is around $2500, so $800 for internals plus $1000-$1500 for labour will work out cheaper, plus as Bao said, you have the option to rebuild with ITR internals. Only way I can see to do this on the cheap is source a second hand transmission and just hope you get really lucky and all the gears/synchros are in tact, but the rebuild gives you peace of mind and more control over the gear ratios and final drive.

Regarding engine mounts... I guess I'll just get smoe part numbers off damo. Cheers