PDA

View Full Version : 1988 ZC 1.6 CRX engine dizzy problem

dacbietcrx
11-11-2006, 02:18 PM
heres the scenario..i was driving then all of a sudden lost power and car died..hasnt started since..

My observation..
-Petrol tank is full and i can hear the fuel pump priming when i turn the key..
-All correct lights display..check engine comes on then clicks off..
-checked all fuses..all ok
-Now i pulled out one spark plug and connected it to the lead and grounded it and kicked it over..no spark
-Changed dizzy cap and leads - still doesnt start

After some researching..it seems these cars have a few dizzy problems..

I believe the dizzy is dead..so im going to take it to a auto electrician and see what happens..

any other ideas guys?

thanks heaps

EuroDude
11-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Yep the ZC engines are somewhat notorious for Dizzy problems.

You need to replace the Dizzy Igniter or Coil. Take it to a mech and get them to diagnose the exact fault, and to make sure it is indeed the dizzy,

Or if you want, you can diagnose the dizzy fault yourself using a multimeter. Buy a Haynes Maintenance manual for the CRX (or EG Civic, should be the same) and follow the instructions.

You have checked to see if the spark plugs are making a spark on the engine body, yeah? (pull one of the spark leads out and place the metal contact a few mm against a bare metal part of the engine and look for a spark when cranking the ignition)

egads
11-11-2006, 04:51 PM
probably the coil. maybe the igniter unit aswell. you can open up your dizzy and inspect it.

ECU-MAN
11-11-2006, 10:37 PM
could be the coil or ICM as mentioned above

I got a working Dizzy for sale if you need one

fat_85_civic
14-11-2006, 07:43 AM
most like ly the igniter, it happened to me and i think its about to happed again.
Did your tach jump around when you lost power? and does it move at all when cranking?

dacbietcrx
14-11-2006, 11:48 AM
when i crank the tacho doesnt move..
when it lost power and then died..the tacho sorta jumped a bit then dropped rev and that was it..
im going to take it to a few auto elec to get a quote..
anyone know of someone who fixes these?

fat_85_civic
14-11-2006, 03:51 PM
i would say it is definatly your igniter, it is quite easy to take off and put a new one on it is only same screws on the bottom of the dissy, it is the cost of a new igniter thats scary, $404 for my car which should be the same as yours., Luckily i have a few spares.

egads
14-11-2006, 08:35 PM
$404?! wtf genuine honda or something?

fat_85_civic
15-11-2006, 07:39 AM
yeah thats gennine, im not sure if you can get aftermarket ones but ill try to find out.

EuroDude
15-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Call some Honda / Japanese wreckers ( www.yellowpages.com.au ), they may have one from a car with low km's. But for piece of mind, a new one is best.

egads
15-11-2006, 08:56 AM
yeah thats gennine, im not sure if you can get aftermarket ones but ill try to find out.

there should be, i picked up one for around $130 or so.

dacbietcrx
17-11-2006, 10:14 AM
hey guys just an update
i bought a secondhand dizzy...
see how that goes..

will report back soon

EuroDude
17-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Sweet. How much did u get it for?

fat_85_civic
17-11-2006, 03:36 PM
if it does turn out to be your dissy stuffed would you sell me the broken one?
I want to see if i can mod it 2 fit my engine so i can get electric timing advance insead of vacuume

dacbietcrx
19-11-2006, 08:12 PM
..alritee peoples..the car is back on the road nows..

Heres what happened

I bought a second hand dizzy and put it in..still didnt work...

it was getting spark but still wasnt kicking over...after about an hour i finally gave up..

i took it to a mechanic and apparently the timing belt slipped a few teeth or somfing..so they just had to reset it..

All good nows...

thank you for everyones help!!!

much appreciated!

st33lo
27-06-2011, 06:41 PM
i have 88 crx going through the same things threw a new dizzy at it still no spark , it all started with the taco jumpin around when i was sitting on one speed , then every know and then i would turn it of and nothing when i would try start it again , then one dayabout three weeks ago it just stopped , since then i have replaced the dizzy , main relay , ecu wasn't getting any lights on it but after the new relay that came back on and my check engine light goes out , i've checked all me connections to dizzy , crank angle sensor and any others around the place near the thermostat , the only two things left to try r the ecu and the crankangle sensor. niether come cheap

st33lo
27-06-2011, 06:42 PM
there is heaps of video on how to check ur dizzy on youtube to help u out a bit but any suggestions would be great