PDA

View Full Version : NGK plugs

hui
11-11-2006, 10:11 PM
hi guys...

just picked up some laser platinum plugs for my dc2R today from a friend of mine... prior to installing them, i noticed that the plug number was different to the one i'm using, so i looked up the owners manual. it states NGK PFR7G-11 which is the one i'm using, whereas the one i got from my friend was PFR6G-13 so i said to him "dude you got me the wrong plugs" he then told me he didn't, coz he ordered it from the NGK cataloge. i didnt belive him so i looked at it myself. cataloge specifies PFR6G-13 for dc2R B18C7.

from memory, if i'm not wrong and plz correct me if i'am. the last 2 digits on the plugs represent the gap mm and the 6G is a colder plug compared to the 7G

i then rang honda and asked if it was alright to use the PFR6G-13
to my suprise they said no because they are 2 different plugs, and that NGK only made PFR7G-11 for honda and those plugs arn't available to buy over the counter at repco, autobarn so forth....

so is it o.k to use the PFR6G-13 even though honda don't reccomend it? and what harm or benefit will i get from using the PFR6G-13 as opposed to the PFR7G-11

any help or comments would be great.

aaronng
11-11-2006, 10:46 PM
If there is the part number PFR7G-11, you can order it in by stating the part number and not going through the catalog listing. You can order anything as long as you have the part number.

hui
11-11-2006, 10:59 PM
If there is the part number PFR7G-11, you can order it in by stating the part number and not going through the catalog listing. You can order anything as long as you have the part number.

well im affraid you cant order those plugs even if you have the so called "part number" i've already tried.

just wanted to know if the colder plugs with slightly bigger gap will be o.k to use.

aaronng
11-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Hmm, I used the part finder at ngk.com.au and it says for Honda Integra Type R (JDM), it lists PFR7G-11S.

Anyways, 7G is cooler than 6G. So if you use 6G, you can risk the ceramic insulator overheating and cracking. Also, hotter plugs have a tendency to cause pre-ignition.

Also, the larger gap gives a larger spark which is better for combustion. However your ignition system must be able to generate enough voltage to create a spark across that larger gap.

sivic
12-11-2006, 01:29 AM
well im affraid you cant order those plugs even if you have the so called "part number" i've already tried.

man, any decent stockist of NGK should be able to source any ngk plug as long as you have the part number. i think the honda dealer is pulling your leg.
i know for a fact my local honda dealer gets their plugs from repco and i'm able to order the plugs specified in the type r user manual.

and yeah, dont use a hotter plug than stock.

hui
12-11-2006, 11:08 PM
If you have an Adobe reader try this link for all the info you need

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/partnumberkey.pdf

aaronng is correct the 6 is a HOTTER plug not colder so if you ever do any spirited driving you get into detonation easier. If you can't get the 7's go with a 8 not a 6.

yeh, i think it is safer to stick with the stock plug. also did a little search and found out that most honda use plugs with the 11 gap.

wonder why NGK cataloge specifies the 6G for the type R?

Limbo
13-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Could be for a different spec Type R i.e Jap spec, Euro spec, which were designed differently for different conditions.

Just stick to normal plugs. Platinum plugs seem to foul faster for me. I'd rather spend $3 than $25 and justkeep changing the plug

drift_looser
13-11-2006, 08:34 PM
With NGK the higher the number, the colder the plug.
I would be very very careful using a hotter plug. Alot of times this can introduce slight knocking that cannot be heard, and more severe at other times.
Basically, your bringing the knock point closer.
Go and swap the plugs for ones that Honda recommended.
7 is actually a very cold plug, used for highly tuned engines. 8 is getting crazy, and can be hard to start in the mornings... i would never run a 8 for street... most 8 NGK plugs are special order only.

Wouldn't touch anything but NGK though...

aaronng
13-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Could be for a different spec Type R i.e Jap spec, Euro spec, which were designed differently for different conditions.

Just stick to normal plugs. Platinum plugs seem to foul faster for me. I'd rather spend $3 than $25 and justkeep changing the plug
:thumbsup: There is no drawbacks to using normal plugs, other than having to change it more often. Even the price evens out in the long run!

hui
13-11-2006, 10:14 PM
oh, so the higher the number the cooler the plug. always thought it was the other way round (oops)....

thanks for correcting me:thumbsup:

90xsi
14-11-2006, 04:38 PM
With NGK going up with numbers = colder, down = hotter
eg : bkr6e11 is a hotter plug then bkr7e11
the number on the end (usually) means the gap size 1.1mm

other brand eg bosch, champion down = colder, up = hotter

its mainly only NGK that do this, to confused you :D