PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Skunk2 coilovers???

VTi_b0i
12-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I recently purchased some skunk2 coilovers and with the help of a mate, installed them this weekend, and took it for a run. the front bounces so much it feels like a pogo stick :S anyone know why?
its set at 1.5inches from the lowest setting at the front and 1 inch from bottom at the rear...

pic shows front at correct height, rear is at lowest but has been raised now...
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9373/lowhj5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

any help appreciated!
cheers
christian

**UPDATE**
Ive just raised the front ANOTHER 1inch and it is STILL horrible to drive!@
im at my witts end with the junk and i have no idea wats wrong!
Has anyone used those cap things that go ontop of the stock shocks, on the coilovers? i was thinkn thats the only thing it could be?

doonbar
12-11-2006, 07:59 PM
i just got mine about 2 weeks ago, front is fine, rear is bouncy when i go over continueing bumps or big ones, the springs are stiff as, so im guessin thats a reason for sum bounce, tho i know some other ppl will be able to explain it alot better than i can lol

czy_sol87
12-11-2006, 09:56 PM
i might be that they are new and need to be run in a bit
i just installed my D2 coilovers and they also seem abit bouncy, or is that cause they are stiff and just following the road, ie all the imperfections on the road

Eclipsor
12-11-2006, 10:40 PM
You talking about the skunk2 coilover sleeves? Or full coilovers?

If you're talking about the sleeves. What shocks are you using with them? I know that with the accords at least the Skunk2 sleeves have some of the highest default spring rates you can get on sleeves or lowering springs. Depending what shocks you're using with them and what condition they're in that would probably be the reason for the bouncy ride. Being a higher spring rate the shocks have to work harder to dampen their movement and if they're not good enough they just won't do their job properly.

bungsai
13-11-2006, 02:47 AM
You talking about the skunk2 coilover sleeves? Or full coilovers?

If you're talking about the sleeves. What shocks are you using with them? I know that with the accords at least the Skunk2 sleeves have some of the highest default spring rates you can get on sleeves or lowering springs. Depending what shocks you're using with them and what condition they're in that would probably be the reason for the bouncy ride. Being a higher spring rate the shocks have to work harder to dampen their movement and if they're not good enough they just won't do their job properly.

what he said ^^. Good post.

VTi_b0i
13-11-2006, 07:44 AM
thanks for that, but nahh i am using the Full Coilovers not sleeves. it just doesnt seem safe, i didnt want to go over 60km/h lol so something must be wrong.

Eclipsor
13-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah there shouldn't be any reason for the full coilovers to be bouncing unless there's something wrong. Have you tried adjusting the damper? You didn't stick in any extra bump stops or anything did you?

VTi_b0i
13-11-2006, 10:56 AM
they arent damper adjustable. but they are quite stiff. um yeahh we used the bumpstops that were already in the stock shocks. im thinkn there has to be something wrong because its terrible to drive! feels worse then ch0pped springs!

bennjamin
13-11-2006, 11:04 AM
IMO its just too low. Raise it , and give the included shocks a break.
It would ride alot better too.

VTi_b0i
13-11-2006, 11:07 AM
yeahh when i put my rims back on the front i will raise it to an appropritate hieght, i know it being so low WOULD make it alittle bouncy but this is rediculous!

Eclipsor
13-11-2006, 11:11 AM
If you didn't cut the stock bump stops you might be hitting them too.

I reackon it's a bit silly if a coilover can't be used at any of it's allowed height settings. So I hope for your sake that's not the reason.

VTi_b0i
13-11-2006, 11:13 AM
me too!@! lol if its not drivable at that low theres no point it being able to go down that far lol

Eclipsor
13-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah. Check the bump stops though. They can cause bouncing ride if you're hitting them. Might need to cut them down a bit.

bennjamin
13-11-2006, 11:24 AM
me too!@! lol if its not drivable at that low theres no point it being able to go down that far lol
Even the best coilovers will be BOUNCING at a very lowered height. Its simple ~ the lower you go the bouncier it will be :)

ekhybrid
13-11-2006, 11:32 AM
who was that mate of yours chris? must of done a dodgy

Eclipsor
13-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Even the best coilovers will be BOUNCING at a very lowered height. Its simple ~ the lower you go the bouncier it will be :)

How come that happens? Not doubting just wondering. ta

VTi_b0i
13-11-2006, 12:02 PM
who was that mate of yours chris? must of done a dodgy
haha umm YOU! and yes it was bodgy lollll jus kiddin..
yeahh i kknow the lower u go the worse the ride will be but it is REALLY bad! it could be the bumpstops but i think we cut them down didnt we steven?

bennjamin
13-11-2006, 12:16 PM
How come that happens? Not doubting just wondering. ta

the lower you go the shoter the suspension travel is . So with the same everyday bumps ( and worse) the "bump" is transferred thru the shock more harshly , hence the constant "bumping".

You can counteract this by using stiffer springs and harder damping settings but its not an option in this case. Simply raise it :)

ekhybrid
13-11-2006, 05:20 PM
yeah we did. we had to or else u would of been constantly hitting the bump stops

VTi_b0i
13-11-2006, 08:16 PM
well 2morrow arvo wen i get home ill raise it an inch or so and see what happens...

VTi_b0i
21-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Updated!

revNhevN
21-11-2006, 01:17 PM
did u use the right springs? maybe the rear springs are up front and the front springs are at the rear. front and rear spring rates are usually different.

VTi_b0i
21-11-2006, 01:39 PM
well they were already put together when i picked them up... so its a possibility... but then the rear would be really bouncy? :S

jdm_kid
21-11-2006, 02:43 PM
how much did u pay for these sluts neways ?

Muzz
26-11-2006, 02:06 AM
IMO its just too low. Raise it , and give the included shocks a break.
It would ride alot better too.

X2:thumbsup: If ur after performance, raise it up a little. Ur roll centre would be far from the optimal position!

Edit: sorry, i missed ur update there -

**UPDATE**
Ive just raised the front ANOTHER 1inch and it is STILL horrible to drive!@
im at my witts end with the junk and i have no idea wats wrong!
Has anyone used those cap things that go ontop of the stock shocks, on the coilovers? i was thinkn thats the only thing it could be?

Muzz
26-11-2006, 02:15 AM

lol yeah i know, yet some people couldnt care, aslong as it looks "fully sic".

preludacris
26-11-2006, 02:34 AM
thats wierd, coilovers with shocks that arnt adjustable .. :S

usually a hard spring rate and really soft damper setting will give you a pogo effect too ...

maybe shocks are screwed ? i dunno

Muzz
26-11-2006, 02:52 AM
usually a hard spring rate and really soft damper setting will give you a pogo effect too ...

maybe shocks are screwed ? i dunno

yeah true, are they 2nd hand?
is it more that there bouncy, or there stupid firm?

VTi_b0i
27-11-2006, 08:44 AM
yeah true, are they 2nd hand?
is it more that there bouncy, or there stupid firm?

nahh they were brand new lol
i wouldnt say they are too firm... the rear is ok and it rides great
not sure but we are taking the front apart to see what the prob is this weekend hopefully...

SLPJCooL
02-12-2006, 12:09 AM
I've installed exactly the same setup as you VTi_bOi, only my car is an EK1.
Having said that I actually got Skunk2 Upper Pillow Mount as well. I've been using it for the past 2 months and up till now I've had no problems with it.
When I installed it, I used the stock bump stop and cut it in half. I have 16inch rims and lowered to the point where I can't put a straight finger below the fenders.
In terms of the Springs, both Front and rear have the same spring rate. It is stiff and does tend to bounce a bit (Excellent @ cornering though), but not to the point where it's unbearable.
So I think something is wrong, better goto a suspension place and check it out!

VTi_b0i
02-12-2006, 06:43 AM
thanks heaps for that SLP :)

doonbar
10-12-2006, 02:00 PM
do u think that gettin the upper pillow mounts would improve the ride quality at all? im goin to raise mine to the highest settin tomorrow and see if it has any effect, my springs rates are 8kfront and 6krear, if it doesnt help would it be good to consider gettin new springs??

Muzz
10-12-2006, 02:36 PM
no, pillow ball uppermounts would decrease ride qualitly, from an increase in road noise and more vibrations put through to the chassis. for the best ride quality use the oem upper mounts, they use a rubber bushing which can flex a little and absorb vibrations And bumps a litle better, where pillow ball uppermounts use a solid metal spherical joint which has no compliance.

doonbar
10-12-2006, 02:39 PM
thanks for that muzz, i should be able to get new springs for these coilovers provided they r specifically for my car right? i hate to have to get new shocks...

VTi_b0i
10-12-2006, 02:56 PM
yeahh thanks for all the help, turns out there was a problem with one of the front struts so the front tw0 are being replaced... for now im using Zeal at the front and its pretty good!

Muzz
10-12-2006, 02:59 PM
thanks for that muzz, i should be able to get new springs for these coilovers provided they r specifically for my car right? i hate to have to get new shocks...
No probs mate, ive got no idea if the sell different rate springs for these coilovers:confused:

doonbar
10-12-2006, 03:35 PM
probably didnt word that quite right lol, umm - if i want to get new springs for these coilovers i should be able to get something outside the skunk2 range? like eibach or kings or wateva ?
VTi_b0i: wat was the problem with the strut?

VTi_b0i
10-12-2006, 05:02 PM
im not sure yet, i spose ill get told when they are properly looked at

doonbar
19-12-2006, 10:41 AM
they werent makin anywhere sounds at all were they? like a high pitched sqeak ?

VTi_b0i
19-12-2006, 05:20 PM
nahh not at all...occasionally makes a sort of "bang" noise when i hit large bumps tho?

jdm_kid
20-12-2006, 02:01 PM
nahh not at all...occasionally makes a sort of "bang" noise when i hit large bumps tho?

thats not good ?
my brothers car use to do this with his stock shocks & really lowered springs.
it means the rod in the shock has reached its limit/length = saggy springs

Muzz
20-12-2006, 02:17 PM
thats not good ?
my brothers car use to do this with his stock shocks & really lowered springs.
it means the rod in the shock has reached its limit/length = saggy springs

If this is the case, and the bang u hear are your shocks are bottoming out , this would perfectly explain why ur coilovers feel bouncy. The shocks are screwed from bottoming out and as a result, cant control the spring at all. Just my guess.

jdm_kid
20-12-2006, 02:27 PM
/\ *nods*

VTi_b0i
20-12-2006, 02:56 PM
so how could i fix this?

jdm_kid
20-12-2006, 03:12 PM
so how could i fix this?

better springs / adjust damper settings if u have some.
who installed them?

Muzz
20-12-2006, 03:16 PM
better springs / adjust damper settings if u have some.
who installed them?
If the shocks are if fact dammaged from bottoming out, theyll need to be replaced.

If this is what the problem is, and id say its the most likely explination, u might be able to have them rebuilt by skunk2.
Unfortunatly, i dont believe there rebuildable. looks like ur up for a new set of coilovers:(

VTi_b0i
20-12-2006, 04:25 PM
well the coilovers are on their way back to america so i will be getting new ones, as they were like that from the second i put them in...

Jamesnic
30-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Thought id dig up this old thread after doing a search.... VTi_bOi , what ended up happening with the Skunk2 coilovers after being sent back to america? were they faulty? Im asking cause im thinking of sourcing a set for my EM1 down the track. Also where did u buy them? from a trader or off US ebay or from SKunk2 directly? around how much does it cost to get them in aus?

Cheers

SeverAMV
30-01-2008, 10:28 AM
just to help resurrect this thread, did the person who started this thread try aftermarket wheels on the front to match the rear? small wheels = big tyres = more air = more bounce in its simplicity.

mine are going in my ed6 shortly, i'll see how well they fair.

YaMiKaZe
31-01-2008, 03:42 PM
just to help resurrect this thread, did the person who started this thread try aftermarket wheels on the front to match the rear? small wheels = big tyres = more air = more bounce in its simplicity.

mine are going in my ed6 shortly, i'll see how well they fair.
please update us wen you do put them in ur ed :D

VTi_b0i
31-01-2008, 03:48 PM
LOL fckn tripped me out man im like WTF a thread by me? haha so old i cant even remember writing it lmao

and yeahh i had my rims on like 90% of the time... they were faulty shocks

YaMiKaZe
08-02-2008, 12:37 AM
so it rode fine wen u got them replaced?? hows the spring rates like?

skunk2tony
08-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Any one who does purchase the Pro S coil overs I would suggest breaking the shocks in before lowering them completely.

sik-vic
24-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Just ordered mine today, hope they are all good

SeverAMV
25-02-2008, 12:51 PM
i've got some beef with my supplier at the moment. he supplied me with the wrong ones, and then he said that some corrosion in the shock out of the box is to be expected and is not covered under warranty. made me send them a big 'wtf' email. most likely my warranty will be void anyway as i will be modifying the bump stops just to make sure i dont get too much wheel hop.

sik-vic
25-02-2008, 04:02 PM
i've got some beef with my supplier at the moment. he supplied me with the wrong ones, and then he said that some corrosion in the shock out of the box is to be expected and is not covered under warranty. made me send them a big 'wtf' email. most likely my warranty will be void anyway as i will be modifying the bump stops just to make sure i dont get too much wheel hop.

were you get them from?

SeverAMV
25-02-2008, 04:05 PM
its against the forum rules to mention the name of the seller, but its the only ebay seller that is willing to ship the whole kit to australia for $100. he's listed on skunk2's website as a licenced seller, but yeah, its mostly the seller's fault. first he sent me non-anodised LCAs when i ordered gold-anodised LCAs, and then he bloody sends me the wrong coilies.

Jamesnic
26-02-2008, 07:58 AM
ive been thinking of skunk2 coils as well, looking at possibly ordering a set from US ebay, has anyone else other than "ServerAMV" had any problems odering these from the states? the appeal to me of the Skunk2's is that theyre cheap and are a known brand, not some unknown ebay cheapo, does anyone know any alternatives to the skunk2s for around the same price that might be better?

SeverAMV
26-02-2008, 04:05 PM
gah...theres only one 'r' in my name...

and you can get tein basics at the same price, but theyre not too great, because their just basics, with very little adjustability. (if theyre damper adjustable and you intend to play around with it then they might be worth it)

sik-vic
26-02-2008, 08:13 PM
gah...theres only one 'r' in my name...

and you can get tein basics at the same price, but theyre not too great, because their just basics, with very little adjustability. (if theyre damper adjustable and you intend to play around with it then they might be worth it)

The PRO S skunk2 have no damper adjustment which kinda sucks, but they are cheap and a good brand. I got em ordered through Egay landed at my door for just over $800.... not too bad I thought