PDA

View Full Version : Air intake for an EK1 sedan (2000)

kanishkaz
12-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a bit new to modifying cars and i know you guys must have answered this question so many times.

I want to get an air intake system for my car, thought i'd clear a few things before i do so.

1. I want to get a pod filter, would it suit my car? or would a stock replacement be alright?
2. I read some stuff about pod filters sucking up engine heat, what can i do about this?
3. what brand of air filter should i go for?
4. And how much would it all cost?

Cheers,
Kazz

Encor3
12-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a bit new to modifying cars and i know you guys must have answered this question so many times.

I want to get an air intake system for my car, thought i'd clear a few things before i do so.

1. I want to get a pod filter, would it suit my car? or would a stock replacement be alright?
2. I read some stuff about pod filters sucking up engine heat, what can i do about this?
3. what brand of air filter should i go for?
4. And how much would it all cost?

Cheers,
Kazz
Search will yield most of the questions your asking.

1. Yes it would suit your car, but if your not going to go all out, you wont get much of a performance increase out of it. Maybe just alil.

2. An exposed pod filter will suck up engine heat, to prevent it build a box theres lots of threads in DIY about how to make an aluminium box to shield the pod from engine heat.

3. Apexi, but reading from other threads it depends more so on where you place your pod then which pod it is.

4. How long is a piece of string? lol Looking at prices at traders, for just intake definately <500

ccibai
13-11-2006, 08:58 AM
diy n save some $$ :)
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17513&highlight=intake

clem
13-11-2006, 04:31 PM
A k&n or apexi replacement filter does a good enough job with resonsiveness as it lets colder air into your engine as opposed to the more restrictive stock paper filters.

Honda's have a good design on their stock intake so just replace the stock with a high flow panel filter and it will breathe easier. Costs me 100 bucks for my civic eu 05.

Pod filters suck more air in but hotter air as it is left in the open where heat in the engine bay builds up when you idle ur car at the lights. So city driving will suck cuz u'll suck heaps of hot air in, decreasing ur cars performance. Pod just gives you a nice induction noise but probably decreases ur performance if used incorrectly.

kanishkaz
14-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Thnx heaps for all the advice guys. I've decided to get a K&N replacement filter.

However, i've been reading a lot of DIYs on removing the resonator and making CAI's. do you reckon i should do something like that as well?

clem
14-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Tbh, you can only gain so much with just getting getting a better quality air filter. If you're really looking for gains in hp you shud look at exhaust, extractors etc.

Do it if you must satisfy your need to do something aesthetically pleasing to your car like cut a hole through the front bar to filter a plastic pipe through :) I know doing this sort of stuff to your car makes us feel good ourselves, its only natural, anything done to the car that doesn't look stock makes you proud of yourself :D. Bear in mind tho, it wouldn't make ~that~ much of a difference, and you'll be sucking in direct shit from the road especially when your driving through road works, following big trucks, worse when its raining heavily it will pick up so much shit that goes straight through to your engine bay god knows what it can do.

This will either be a small hassle meaning you'll have to regularly check your filter to see if it needs a clean. or a big hassle, you've collected up some water and messed up your engine :)

The resonator is there for a reason and it's not just to reduce noise. Cuz if you've taken apart your airbox, you'll notice right after the air filter is a big fat hole that sucks shit up and the only last line of defence is your air filter.

I've just got the panel filter replacement, noticed it's breathing alot easier, and throttle response is improved. I wouldn't be looking to go beyond that unless you're gonna go further with modifications.

marvo
14-11-2006, 09:28 AM
This will either be a small hassle meaning you'll have to regularly check your filter to see if it needs a clean. or a big hassle, you've collected up some water and messed up your engine :)

The resonator is there for a reason and it's not just to reduce noise. Cuz if you've taken apart your airbox, you'll notice right after the air filter is a big fat hole that sucks shit up and the only last line of defence is your air filter.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the resonator is there just to reduce noise. it doesn't have anything in it to serve as a defence agaisnt shit.

collecting water is only a problem in cold air intake piping, where the pod is located outside your engine bay, behind the bumper. its almost impossible for a huge amount of water to get up a pipe/tubing that feeds from the front of your car up to your pod, unless you're like driving in a river.

edit : Yeah, my answer to your questions would be the same as Encor3's

Limbo
14-11-2006, 02:51 PM
reasonator causes turbulance and reduces noise.
If you want a beefier noise and nominal improvement go for it.
On stock cars it can actually retart the car as they are tuned with them in place. Was in on of those fast 4s mags they did a review, maybe someone knows which one and can post a link.

P.S depending on which resonator it can protect aginst crap going in as it makes the crap take a look and usually gets stuck down the bottom somewhere.