PDA

View Full Version : Stroke Kit 1.8 B16A (information help)

drifter
12-11-2006, 11:48 PM
HI, I AM JUST WONDER if stroke kit are good .........i am just wondering how much power will it increase, will it be better.
i was thinking about changing my B16A to 1.8 liter.......thinking about going for JUN OR TODA one of then............

hope to hear from all u honda fan outhere
if you know more about it can u please post it here.......
i want to know more infor about stroke kits.

thank

Waggy
12-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Stroker kits offer a good gain in power, and more importantly, torque. The problem most people have with them is that they are fairly pricey. Plus, depending on your power goals, you may have to re-sleeve the block - which means you have to rip the block outta your car anyway (as you do with a stroker kit), so you may as well just replace it with a B18 or B20 block.

I would replace the bottom end with a B18 block mate.

If you really wanna stroke though, Jun and TODA are two of many. Try Eagle, Golden Eagle, Crower and (probably the best value of them all) the Brian Crower 2L kit.

barefootbonzai
13-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Probably best for you to just keep wondering unless you have a lot of money to burn.

Perry
13-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I was advised going from a b16 stroker to 1.8 involves less cost other than buying just a b18c

ZeForce
13-11-2006, 12:43 PM
I was advised going from a b16 stroker to 1.8 involves less cost other than buying just a b18c

You also should take into consideration that most aftermarket stroker kits use forged components and can opt for high compression pistons, so you would in fact have a stronger bottom end with a lot more potiental than just a stock B18c or even a B18cR for that matter.

Slow96GSR
13-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Most of your kits let you choose the pistons CR. I have never heard of a kit forcing you to sleeve a block, that all depends on the current condition of the stock walls. Not all kits are forged some are cast, guess it depends on the quality and price. First find out what you want to do in the end. Is this going to be a race motor? Daily driver? Boosted or N.A.? Then figure out the budget you have for building the bottom end. Average after parts, labor, and machining is $5200-6500AUD for a good kit and builder.

drifter
13-11-2006, 04:05 PM
How much power will stroke kit increase............
thank for all the detail people..it was nice of .
if you know more,please feel free to post..........
i just wanna a Na car that kill skyline.or turbo car..........

faijai
13-11-2006, 04:50 PM
How much power will stroke kit increase............
thank for all the detail people..it was nice of .
if you know more,please feel free to post..........
i just wanna a Na car that kill skyline.or turbo car..........

first tell us whats your budget? daily driver? weekend car etc????:)

drifter
13-11-2006, 11:27 PM
i was think about spending around 5g....i know that JUN Stroke kit cost around 4g....toda is around 2 or 3 g.......but not sure how much it will cost to do the complete stroke kit.

civicCXI
13-11-2006, 11:31 PM
I was wondering the same thing too. As for power increase, check out:
JUN
http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/complete-engine/b16-b18/data/index.html?en

Toda:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51767

One thing I wanna ask u guys though, would it affect the reliability of the engine (not in terms of fuel efficiency), but would the engine be easier to break down? sorry to kinda hijack this thread, but i've been wanting to do the same

drifter
14-11-2006, 02:43 PM
it kool.........feel free to post here.........

Perry
14-11-2006, 07:29 PM
i was think about spending around 5g....i know that JUN Stroke kit cost around 4g....toda is around 2 or 3 g.......but not sure how much it will cost to do the complete stroke kit.

where aRE U getting the JUN parts from? locally or from overseas?, dont forget about labour cost, labour to pull the engine out and back in unless u doing a DIY installing the engine

civicCXI
14-11-2006, 10:24 PM
There's a JUN dealer here in perth (www.speedworks.com.au (http://www.speedworks.com.au)).

drifter
15-11-2006, 12:22 AM
i getting the part oversea in taiwan.......

Dylanamus
17-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Factor in the cost of getting the stroker kit installed by a reputable workshop and then tuned properly (plus extra parts required, like gaskets and fluidsetc etc) and you could be looking at almost double the cost of the parts in the end.

And at the end of the day you have only done work to your block. What about the head? What about supplying the engine the air and fuel it needs to get the most out of the increased capacity? What about tuning?

I see it as a better idea than engine swaping in a Type R grade motor ONLY when you plan on throwing way more power through it than the Type R internals would reliably handle. Otherwise a swap will be a better bang for buck mod.

If you look at a b18cR, for example, and think "I'm going to have to upgrade the crankarm, connecting rods and pistons to handle what I'm going to throw at this engine, then a stroker kit becomes a more economical way to achieve all those things with the bonus of extra capacity. Otherwise you could view it as a bit of a waste of money, unless you specifically want a 1.8 b16a for some reason.

Increasing stroke length will also change the attributes of your engine. A lot of people consider those attributes to be negative. It's a mixed bag really. Look into it.

egSi
17-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Brian Crower 2L Kit :thumbsup:
DIY instal :thumbsup: