PDA

View Full Version : Accord Window Tint Scratching

Tex Zero
13-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Hi

Can someone tell me if the tint scratching reported on Accords is limited to the Euro or does it happen on the Vti and V6 models as well?

THX

Thorn2004
14-11-2006, 02:06 PM
As far as I know it is limited to the Euro, I had this problem with my first Euro, a 04 standard model, the tints scratched on the front windows and Honda installed some felt tips and the problem seemed to go away! My 05 Milano Red Luxury hasn't had the same issues so I don't know whether Honda has fixed the problem since the 04 model or I have just been lucky!

_CiVIC_
14-11-2006, 02:10 PM
This is a concern for me...............................

I hope in the newer models the problem was fixed... otherwise i'm ripping my trims off on the weekend and installing some felt bits to stop it from happening!

Thorn2004
14-11-2006, 02:23 PM
This is a concern for me...............................

I hope in the newer models the problem was fixed... otherwise i'm ripping my trims off on the weekend and installing some felt bits to stop it from happening!

Yeah my Honda dealership told me that the problem was caused by the design of the Euro's doors, something about the gap being very small between the door trim and window to limit the amount of wind noise. Well it does do that well but the problem is that it causes scratching when you add tint to the windows, the thickness of the tint is just enough to cause problems! This felt (or rubber depending on where you go) strip is meant to cushion the windows and prevent it from scratching!

The stupid thing is that apparently Honda put a memo out to the dealerships when the Honda was released stating that they should recommend modifications be made to the Euro's door trim before the customers install Window Tints! The dealerships just forgot to pass this info onto the consumers!

_CiVIC_
14-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah my Honda dealership told me that the problem was caused by the design of the Euro's doors, something about the gap being very small between the door trim and window to limit the amount of wind noise. Well it does do that well but the problem is that it causes scratching when you add tint to the windows, the thickness of the tint is just enough to cause problems! This felt (or rubber depending on where you go) strip is meant to cushion the windows and prevent it from scratching!

The stupid thing is that apparently Honda put a memo out to the dealerships when the Honda was released stating that they should recommend modifications be made to the Euro's door trim before the customers install Window Tints! The dealerships just forgot to pass this info onto the consumers!

true that! and also they really try and push people to get the tints done via aftermarket, so the dealers are not responsible for warranty claims...

SEL11T
24-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Same problem as most Mercedes, You need to get the felt (i didnt and i regret it)

edw-R
25-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Is it free for fixing if still under warranty?

Alpine
25-11-2006, 02:33 PM
As far as I know it is limited to the Euro

Incorrect. The tint scratching problem also applied to the VTi and V6 Accord. These models also need the felt lining to prevent the tint scratching.

Tex Zero
29-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Incorrect. The tint scratching problem also applied to the VTi and V6 Accord. These models also need the felt lining to prevent the tint scratching.

You say "applied to". Does this mean its been fixed with the current model or is it still an issue with new cars?

Thorn2004
05-12-2006, 08:51 AM

I stand corrected I was just guessing ;)

Alpine
09-12-2006, 03:00 PM
You say "applied to". Does this mean its been fixed with the current model or is it still an issue with new cars?

That, I'm not sure. I know for a fact that as of the December 2004 models it was still an issue. Not sure about the 2005-onwards models.

Edgeauto
18-12-2006, 08:55 PM
On the later accords they changed the strip on top of the door trim from rubber to felt to stop it scratching the tint. For some of the bad cases(tint repaired 4-5 times)i have replaced the the top strip of the early door trims with the later strip, seem to do the trick:)