PDA

View Full Version : NOOB audio question [NEW QUESTION]

arron
14-11-2006, 02:37 AM
ok...

this may seem like a really stupid question but I had a look at my dc2 and couldnt find the screws that hold the plastic around the DIN slots... I cant access my head unit atm coz of this...

AND

Is it just me or sumthing when i say that it's a bitch to fit the head unit securely into the DIN slots in DC2s???? It's really giving me the sh*ts atm...

Vinnie
14-11-2006, 02:50 AM
ide say that unless u really know wat ur doin jus take it to an install place. much less likely that sumthing will go wrong but if it does u can jus blame them. :) alternatively, if ur really confident go for it but overall much safer to get electronic stuff done professionally, especially if ur jus goin off stuff u found on the internet...

Bayani
14-11-2006, 03:33 AM
If you're confident trying it, give it a go; It is largely straight forward though. The instructions that you with your products will be sufficiant.

Hiding wires is shit easy =p cable ties! lol

However... Are you not installing a Monoblock too? What do you plan to power your Sub :)

mj3610
14-11-2006, 07:53 AM
if ur using cheap shit then install it urself theres no point paying someone $120 to install a $100 amp, get my drift?...

BiLL|z0r
14-11-2006, 08:02 AM
The hardest part will be getting all the trims off the car. If you can do this without breaking any and have a basic understanding of car audio and electronics then knock yourself out. It's a real learning experience as well + if anything goes wrong down the track you'll know how to fkix it easier as you installed it.

marvo
14-11-2006, 09:05 AM
yeah, hiding wires can be real easy..
i would agree with mj3610, if you're fixing something real expensive, you would be better off leaving it to the pros (NOT strathfield/jb hifi,etc) as if you muck up, it'll be a really expensive lesson for ya..

it's a great learning curve for ya if you did it yourself, plus you get to admire your own work after, :p

personally, i wouldnt be paying so much for a simple installation at all.. so my advice is to go ahead if you're not puttin in high end stuff.. there are always people around to help you if you have problems.:thumbsup:

arron
14-11-2006, 11:40 PM
However... Are you not installing a Monoblock too? What do you plan to power your Sub :)

I was thinking powering the sub/s with 2 channels from the amp, therefore leaving the rear speakers running off the headunit... is that a practical and good titearse way to go about installing a sound system?/

thanks for all the help/tips guys! yeah, ill go ahead and install it myself.

dc2dc2dc2
14-11-2006, 11:43 PM
i have no audio expereience...i just did alot of online audio forum reading before i went ahead with it i managned too hook up my sub & amp fine just take ur time and in the end if u do a half descent job and there is sound its all good !

marvo
14-11-2006, 11:45 PM
yeah, it would be good enuff for tightarse ppl like us :p

u dont really need to amp the rear speakers, cos rear speakers and subs dont go along very well..

ideally a monoblock would be the better way to power a sub, but bridging channels will do just fine,

Rasputin
15-11-2006, 06:04 AM
Just read up good, plenty of easy-to-understand walkthroughs.

Basically just watch your power and ground cables. Always make sure battery is off.

You don't have to worry about head unit so saves you some trouble there. The hard part for me was getting wires into the doors.

Besides, even if you only do half of it (i.e. removing panels and running cables, but not the connecting) yourself, you at least learnt something and will save yourself some dosh.

Just go for it, the best way to learn. And if you're unsure, ask.

destrukshn
15-11-2006, 07:28 AM
you don't have to run new wires to the doors.
well depending on the splits you have.
most people won't be able to tell the difference.
on higher end speakers and amp, i would recommending running new wires.
but just average stuff, esp running from the head unit, don't have to run it.

Rasputin
15-11-2006, 11:05 AM
That's a point. There's DIYs on g2ic.com, but if it's a bit involved (i.e. would double the length of your install etc) then you may as well just hook into the two standard door wires at the head unit.

Easy as, give it a go!

But can anyone give him some ideas about where to run the cable through the firewall? dc2, right?

destrukshn
15-11-2006, 11:21 AM
next to the brake booster, and might be one behind the battery.

kwayzivietnamese
15-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Very easy...my first ever install was into my ED civic hatch...6 speakers, an amp, and a deck...took me a good 6hours...
1 year down the track, over 5 installs under my belt, did my install for my dc2r in about 2 hours flat...
As long as you dont get the wires mixed up, ull be fine.
Trust me..do it yourself..itll be very rewarding once you finished, turned that key over, and music fills your ears :thumbsup:
Few basic rules...
1 - fuse for amp should be located closest to the battery as possible
2 - earth cable for amp should be as short as possble (usually should be a bolt on your boot floor somewhere..scratch that area down to bare metal and whack the earth cable there
3 - bridge 2 channels into 1 for the sub and the other 2 run the fronts (if you wanna short cut and cbf running speaker wire into the door...run speaker wires from the centre console where the factory front speaker wires are to the amp)
4 - run the power cable down one side of the car and speaker wires + rcas down the other side of the car (i.e. power cable right hand side of car..speaker cables left hand side of car) This minimises any chance of interference noise.
5 - ALWAYS remember to run remote wire from the deck to the amp...haha ud hate to run all the speaker wires, power cables, tighten everything up n go crap..forgot the remote wire haha. Its usually the blue wire at the back of the deck.
6 - ALWAYS remember to hook up the antenna to the back of the deck after install!! Again, ud hate to have everything all done n go crap, no radio

That should be about it...any questions, dont hesitate to pm me.
Good luck with it

dsp26
15-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Install is easy as its preferential based on how neat and where you want wiring and setup to go.

tuning gains/crossovers is actually trickier if your unsure of the limits of your speakers.

i remember blowing some decent 6x9s coz i went full hektik on bass boost/gain/crossover. but thats coz my parts were mismatched for what i was trying to achieve.

stoodamire
15-11-2006, 01:55 PM
The hardest thing u'll encounter doing a DC2R is the HU, because most normal car use side brackets, the DC2R has a rear bracket, so you pretty much have to make your own and it does take time, but everything else is pretty easy. Just run the cable under the carpet to the boot, i suggest you get an Mono block just to power the sub and have the 4 channel under the passenger seat and the splits and rear fill.

Hope that helps.

Rasputin
15-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Mono block would be fine, but if he's only got and only wants the one amp, bridging will work no worries.

With the rear-bracket, I assume you mean the part you have to screw into the back of the Head unit and then onto the car. I was able to just chop one side off to make room for the aftermarket Head unit's cables, but that might not be the case for everyone.
Regardless, the thread starter isn't doing a HU install, so it shouldn't be an issue.

funkdr
15-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Dont forget to upgrade the earth off your battery too:thumbsup:

VtirCivic
16-11-2006, 08:03 PM
you should check out http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/index.php everything you need to know

arron
01-12-2006, 12:53 AM
THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES! HELPED ALOT! BUMP for new question..

bungsai
01-12-2006, 12:01 PM
yeah its annoying.

check out this article

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/listArticles.asp?Show=6

and maybe invest in one of these

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56650