PDA

View Full Version : Low Springs with Stock Shocks??

rhys_main
16-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Hey all,
I'm considering getting a set of 'King Spring Lows' (NOT super lows) for my '89 prelude, they would drop it about 30mm below stock.
Just wondering if it would be ok to run these with stock shocks?
I have searched for the answer but all i've seen relate to much lower springs than what i have in mind.
Comments....?
Cheers everyone!

m3ntAL_l2
16-11-2006, 05:05 PM
king springs lows r ok to run with stock shocks, they not THAT low.
so it should b alright but still shortens ur stock shocks life.

VTi_b0i
16-11-2006, 05:06 PM
i was running that combo on my car for over a year and didnt have a problem at all...it does wear out ur shocks faster tho and king springs are a little soft so they are a lil bouncy but other then that not too bad... just dont do it if u want good performance....

SiReal
17-11-2006, 03:47 PM
I usually cbfed answering these questions but I havent done so in over a month so heres my spiel,

1. How old are your stock shocks? If you've done significant K's on them, then expect to have them changed anyway.
2. If you are going to put lowered springs on your stock shocks, expect them to blow in due time, when? "how longs a piece of string".
3. When it does blow, your car will handle like sh1t and will bounce like a trampoline. This will in turn, ruin every other suspension component like CV joints, ball joints, bushes, etc etc.
4. My advice, if you're going to do it, do it correctly, even if that means having to get the most basic sport shock for $500 for a set of 4. You WILL enjoy the new handling. And when time comes to sell your car, you can resell these aftermarket shocks.
5. 4WD hondas look nice ;)

SiReal

iced
17-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey all,
I'm considering getting a set of 'King Spring Lows' (NOT super lows) for my '89 prelude, they would drop it about 30mm below stock.
Just wondering if it would be ok to run these with stock shocks?
I have searched for the answer but all i've seen relate to much lower springs than what i have in mind.
Comments....?
Cheers everyone!

you car is 89 model
its not a good idea.
even lows will open up the effects of worn shocks and wear them faster.

all i can say is it will be less safe on a bumpy windy road.

rhys_main
21-11-2006, 03:01 PM
thanks for the info everybody,
sounds like upgrading shocks aswell would be the answer...
cheers

ekslut
21-11-2006, 03:21 PM
it all depends on what you want out of your car....

Yes, you can put new lower springs into your stock shocks and it will work. Many people are doing it, and many people are happy with it...But it is not the best setup. Usually these people dont drive hard, dont really care or are tigharses who dont want to spend the extra.

Basically if you do not change your shocks you will end up with a bouncy ride coz the springs & shocks are mismatched. What you have ended up with is a stiffer spring and a shock thats made for a softer spring. This means your shock will not control the springs movements like it should and you will get a very bouncy ride.

There is also the fact that it will wear out your shocks quicker too....but if the drop is not much then it wont wear out that fast.

Azza
21-11-2006, 03:27 PM
I know I havent got a Honda, but at the end of the day, the principle is the same.

I am running King Lows on my Corolla with the stock shocks. My shocks had done 20,000kms when I did it and have since travelled anoth 30,000kms and I have had absolutley no problems what so ever. In saying that though, as mentioned, it does depend on what you are looking for outta the lowering of your car. I just wanted to make my car look better cause I drive it to and from the city each day for work. I wasnt too interested in making it handle like a slot car for superfast mountain runs or anything...

How much longer will I get out of the stock shocks? I dunno, but I am saving slowly for Koni's but it's not a major priority for me yet.....

silver_screen
21-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Also ur car seems alot newer than the integra.. It may have 100k on the clock already or more who knows...

I lowered my car with super lows n didnt change the shocks (forgot, got too excited lol) It Handles better BUT only when the road is flat n bumps, non existant (almost no roads in melb). I am gettin new shocks (koni as recommended by DNYALL). I would recommend the same :)

mj3610
21-11-2006, 04:06 PM
why wouldnt it be ok???

Vinnie
21-11-2006, 07:43 PM
why wouldnt it be ok???

Basically if you do not change your shocks you will end up with a bouncy ride coz the springs & shocks are mismatched. What you have ended up with is a stiffer spring and a shock thats made for a softer spring. This means your shock will not control the springs movements like it should and you will get a very bouncy ride.

There is also the fact that it will wear out your shocks quicker too....but if the drop is not much then it wont wear out that fast.

seems pretty obvious to me...

silver_screen
21-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Thats not the main reason u replace ur shocks with more appropiate ones...

The main reason u change ur shocks is because they have a certain amount of travel. They can only go down so much and up so much. when u lower ur car, as a figure we'll say 2"s, you lose 2"s of travel goin down. meaning that if before on the worst dip ur shock would use just say 6"s of its 7" travel limit, ur now gonna b limited to only 5" of travel.. so this bump which makes it travel 6"s is now gonna bottom out ur shock causing extensive damage to all ur suspension components...

Lowered shocks have a shorter amount of travel BUT they r stiffer. For example, the 6" travel that u would get from ur standard shock would only travel 4"s on the new shocks, whos limit might be 6 or 7"s.

Just as an example, my standard shocks on my civic bottom out when the bump is big enough (and its not even that big of a bump). I use the entire travel of my shocks now and they bottom out (i dont drive it as much anymore). The shocks on my rotor however have never bottom'd out. They r alot stiffer than standard (Kei Office Coil Overs).

Go too stiff thou and ull suffer bad quality ride (like my 7). Great for the track thou.. but the track isnt the road