PDA

View Full Version : Sound Deadener

CJL
31-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Im about to hook my sub and stuff up.... :D :D

So all I need to know is what sort of sound deadener do you guyz use?
Where to get it from? and How much?

I had brown bread sound deadener in my old car which was a tad on the expensive side it costs $80 a role and it took 1 1/2 rolls to do the boot hatch/lid of my proton I want something just as good but not that expensive ;)

SIKCVC
31-05-2004, 10:55 PM
why you want it in your boot? just sound deaden your cabin floor, keep road noise out and keep music in. Ring up Stylyn or GL Pro Sound, if you ring Stylyn speak to keith, if you ring GL speak to anthony, they'll give you good no nonsense advice and wont piss you around trying to sell the expencive shit.

Probs ring Stylyn first since they're only in boronia.

CJL
31-05-2004, 11:03 PM
hahaha i knew u would be lurking around here and be the first to reply :D good to see ur on the ball :P

Well the reason why i wanna get deadener is because i hate the rattling noise that is why i got it done in the proton was grate. But i dont wanna spend that much this time. :shock: (i got the proton done by a mate at freeway car audio :? ) so he wasnt trying to rip me :P

We still have to do the FG box sikcvc
:)

SIKCVC
31-05-2004, 11:07 PM
hahaha yeah FG rocks... anoying to work with for too long, but no where near as stressful as doing an engine conversion so I should find it a breeze now :P

Everyone said I'd need sound deadening between the glass and the plastic... OR I could just make it good :P Losers, dunno what they were going on about. If its made well enough it slots strait into place with no hastles and no rattles. But no twin boxes :|

Fhrx
01-06-2004, 07:09 AM
I think you might have the incorrect concept of how sound deadening works SIKCVC. Sound deadening adds mass to panels slowing their flexing down in order to creating a more solid environment for speakers to operate in. This helps to prevent the tinny sound and helps prevent wave reverberation.

Sound deadening isn't used to stop rattles. We use simple foam for that task.

On the subject of quality, again cheap material is exactly that. The better deadening is denser, more fire reisistant, stronger and heavier. There are online comparison tests on CAA if you're interested is having a peak. :D

SIKCVC
01-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Yeah I realise how it works, and at times it can get tinny but my floor has a nice layer so most of the sound is absorbed. Of cource without sound deadening sounds would reverberate within the shell of the car, that would also lower SQ due to the fact that theres too much reflected sound. But yeah I wouldn't bother in the boot... I could see how it would be helpfull in a hatch if you had open air in that boot section, but meh My sub box/amp display takes up my entire boot :P

Theres a reason good recording booths have it :P

Rowie
01-06-2004, 12:38 PM
I got myself a 4litre tin from super cheap. the paint-on stuff. Wasnt too bad, and did an average job.

You can also get the spray on stuff if you want to use it on the back of door trims, it works a treat.