PDA

View Full Version : water pump

Why_Try
17-11-2006, 11:30 PM
hi just wondering, ppl who use NON-OEM water pump do you have any issues, eg water leaks!??! cuz the price diff is like nearly 200, would it be ok to use a non-genuine item?!?!

mrwillz
18-11-2006, 12:09 AM
OEM ones last about forever
not sure about aftermarket ones.

tinkerbell
20-11-2006, 10:29 AM
i use non-OEM on my B20VTEC's

never had a problem, tjhe last one is upto 20'000km and is fine...

i get 'em at http://www.ausmart.com.au/category5_1.htm

barefootbonzai
20-11-2006, 10:47 AM
hi just wondering, ppl who use NON-OEM water pump do you have any issues, eg water leaks!??! cuz the price diff is like nearly 200, would it be ok to use a non-genuine item?!?!

you can pick up an OEM water pump from JDMYard for under $200.

DLO01
20-11-2006, 11:08 AM
I have always been informed to get Genuine.

Don't know about nearly lasting forever as stated though.

Everyone has thier own opinions though.

sebatron
20-11-2006, 11:23 AM
i've changed waterpumps on 3 cars (only one honda though - '89 lude) and never used genuine, and never had leaks.

the people who say to use genuine are the ones who sell them at their appropriate markup.

BlitZ
20-11-2006, 02:14 PM
im running non genuine..

Made in Japan.. brand WPN.. no issues..,

mj3610
20-11-2006, 02:27 PM
OEM ones last about forever
not sure about aftermarket ones.

thats the most rediculous thing i've ever heard...
ur off ur **** if u even think about buying a genuine water pump for $200 when u can get a japanese aftermarket one for $60. u'll only ever need to change the water pump only once in the life of the car, the new one wont break down for another 10 years, they're made in japan and come with 3 years warranty, they're the same (if not better) than "oem" ones...

mrwillz
22-11-2006, 02:01 PM
each to their own
ECU-MAN happens to agree wif me :)

mj3610
23-11-2006, 02:37 PM
ECU-MAN happens to agree wif me :)
so what???
if he jumps off a cliff would u do the same???

STOCK
23-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Ive used aftermarket with a problem

egSi
23-11-2006, 09:26 PM
i use OEM, itll last longer if you use coolant in your cooling system not just water :thumbsup:

if your worried bout the cost of replacing the water pump, dont ask how much itll be to replace the head gasket.

mrwillz
25-11-2006, 07:13 PM
so what???
if he jumps off a cliff would u do the same???

dude u just took it out of context
we're talkn about water pumps
not something over life n death ( not over a water pump neway)

honda_b_blastn
25-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Ive used both oem and aftermarket with no problems either way.

Rasputin
12-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Any idea on the life of OEM vs non-oem?

or would you just change them both whenever you do your timing belt?

vtek
12-12-2006, 11:05 PM
you would save on labour if you done both the timing belt and the w/pump at the same time as they are both in the same area.

Rasputin
12-12-2006, 11:13 PM
So they only last around 100ks too? on the safe side?

Dylanamus
13-12-2006, 09:46 AM
In some cars, you might even have to remove the timing belt to get to the water pump and, if not, it would make it a lot easier either way. That's why most people replace their old water pump when they change belts and vice versa. I'm getting a new OEM one for my 16 year old CRX. It will last until I sell it or whatever I do with it... so even if that is $200 it's less than 20c a day, so I consider it rather petty in the scheme of things. But hey, a lot of people become rich by saving 20c a day hehe

BlitZ
13-12-2006, 10:09 AM
correct me if im wrong,
i think from memory in the service manual.. it only gets changed at 200,000kms

sydteg21
13-12-2006, 09:29 PM
oem one is so "good", i got a lucky oem one, nearly killed my engine : )

aimre
14-12-2006, 12:12 AM
When should one change water pump??
like how many K's, one person says 200,000, is that whaqt other ppl say/think.

I got a EG with 96,xxx kms on it, timing belt need doing soon

bennjamin
14-12-2006, 05:30 AM
When should one change water pump??
like how many K's, one person says 200,000, is that whaqt other ppl say/think.

I got a EG with 96,xxx kms on it, timing belt need doing soon

IMO d it at the same time. You need to remove the timing belt to access the water pump...and if you need to do it once a cars life ~ so why not throw another $100 at your mechanic and get him to change it :)

Dylanamus
14-12-2006, 09:56 AM
I agree with Benjamin. And whether you use OEM or aftermarket water pump is not a biggy. If you feel like you're taking a risk with aftermarket, get OEM. If you feel OEM is a rip off for the same quality worksmanship, get aftermarket.

It's something you'll probably never have to replace again, so if you spend $100 more on OEM and you never know whether or not the aftermarket would have had problems, who cares? I'd rather just pay the extra and forget about it forever. But that's just me.

aimre
10-01-2007, 02:42 PM
I rang hanny's, they said dont worry about waterpump till 200,000 kms

string
10-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Waterpump from the states is a whopping USD$98.. Buy a few parts in a bundle to make shipping worthwhile and you might end up paying $140 bucks for the pump. That $60 aftermarket piece isn't looking that good anymore...

Piece of mind is priceless for me (but only $~80 here :D), but for others it may be different.

tinkerbell
10-01-2007, 03:33 PM
so do you (those using Honda waterpumps) use Honda oil filters too? or aftermarket?

string
10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Aftermarket. The difference being, I trust a valvoline filter to do the job. All it does is sit there and filter; maybe not as good as an OEM filter but i've made that choice upfront, there are no surpises.

I don't trust an aftermarket water pump to spin through the millions of revolutions it will throughout it's life.

EK4R
10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
hmm sorry to hi-jack but how can you tell if your water pump is leaking? would your coolant be leaking with it?

BlitZ
10-01-2007, 03:47 PM
hmm sorry to hi-jack but how can you tell if your water pump is leaking? would your coolant be leaking with it?

yesh.. unless it seizes..

and its 200,000 kms service for change

EK4R
10-01-2007, 03:53 PM
anyelse other than my coolant be leaking if my water pump is leaking? window washer fluid etc?

tinkerbell
10-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't trust an aftermarket water pump to spin through the millions of revolutions it will throughout it's life.

not trying to start an arguement, but a oil filter is more complicated device than a water pump...

my point is that some people say "OEM waterpumps only" - then use cheap oil filters... :confused:

JasonGilholme
10-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I'd use an OEM Water pump cause its going to be on there for a long time.

I'd use an aftermarket oil filter cause i change it every 500 - 10,000 k's.

90LAN
10-01-2007, 05:24 PM
why not say what u use, what u paid , and where you got it from !!!
so why try can decide himself what he wants to buy !
nothing lasts forever so it doesnt matter which one he gets
by the sound of things he doesn't want to pay the price of the oem waterpump!

string
10-01-2007, 05:39 PM
not trying to start an arguement, but a oil filter is more complicated device than a water pump...

my point is that some people say "OEM waterpumps only" - then use cheap oil filters... :confused:
Your point was obviously going to be brought up by someone, but it's not a very good one. Perhaps if someone was using a cheap water pump and OEM oil pump, or something of similar utility, but not a completely different item such as a filter.

Complication aside, do you honestly think any oil filter during it's life will fail? How many failures have you had?

A cheap oil filter will do a cheap job from start to finish. I'm satisfied by that 'cheap' job, and will continue to be satisfied by the 50% price tag I pay for them from repco. The reliability of a cheap oil filter isn't cheap to me, it's just a given.

A cheap water pump holds a much higher engine value to me. I require that it's reliability is not cheap. To me, an OEM water pump will provide more reliability, and more peace of mind. Theres every chance that a company makes a water pump just as good, but I don't know that it will, and it'll eat me up every time I drive.

I also use cheap coolant, mid-range non-oem oil (~$40 synthetic), non-oem thermostats (this was borderline me going for oem.. I'm always watching my temp gauge, and it's easy to swap so cheap won out here) but oem gaskets, timing belts (never had to replace an alternator belt) and tensioners.

Pretty much, if it's possible that reliability and peace of mind is compromised greatly, then i'll definately take the OEM route.

Import an OEM water pump from the USA, don't go to the local stealership unless you are in a hurry. If you are serious about it, pm me and i'll give you the name of an Acura Dealership on ebay who has them for < USD$100.

tinkerbell
10-01-2007, 05:48 PM
you will never really know if the oil filter is stuck in bypass...

you can tell if the water pump is going bad, coolant loss and higher temps are a few signs...

the most catastrophic failure i have had (of the 3 failed waterpumps i have experienced) is this:

http://home.exetel.com.au/tinkerbell/waterpump%20shaft.jpg

at free way speed - it was OEM.

the other two water pumps have had their seal go, both were OEM...

my two aftermarket pumps dont have enough KM on them to tell, btu 20'000km is an OK start i guess?

ECU-MAN
10-01-2007, 10:18 PM
nice picture

elim
10-01-2007, 10:44 PM
most water pumps should last 200000km but when you do the timing belt, the water pump is inspected and changed if necessary.

200 bux for water pump ???? DAMN !

Hanny's quoted me $220 supply and fitted however I'm only assuming it's genuine water pump, not 100% sure.