PDA

View Full Version : Civic 06 - How to repair scratches ?

markp
19-11-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm mad because my 3 months old nighthawk black pearl civic has a light long scratch (white color, quite deep but not down to the paint layer I believe) which runs across the whole driver door. It is my 2 yrs old son (not a jealous driver) who did it while trying to get his bike out of the garage.

I''m wondering if you guys got experiences in repairing such scratches.

I thought of going to the honda dealer and get basecoat (color) and clearcoat (clear and shiny layer) touch up pens and apply them straight. Is this the right way to do it ? or I need to sand and fill the scratch with body compound first ?

Rivic
19-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Won't buff out?...

Waggy
19-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah mate - Like Rivic said, I would try to buff that one first before you dive into the paints etc. Other than that, I would take it to a paint and panel shop.

Jo_e
19-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Check the inside of the left hand side door for your colour code and take it to Supercheap auto/repco/autobarn wateva and see if they have your colour in store. If they dont coz the colour then goto honda or a auto center and get it mixed there with that code. If u get the one from a store its about $10, so much cheaper. 2-3 layers will do the trick with a clear coat on top to finish it. If you find its deeper then u originally thought then primer a lil bit first so doesnt rust.
Hope this helps =]

aaronng
19-11-2006, 11:20 PM
If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, then you can only repair it by respraying.

A cheap way is to use touch up paint and langka, but you'll be able to see the mismatched colour.

xenfacta
20-11-2006, 10:18 AM
yea id suggest going to a body shop. when my old man closed the garage door on my roof (a week after i got the car - grr) i thought it would buff out but it ended up needeing a respray so u never know. Also, if u try fix it urself it will be forever bugging u. it wont look the same and you'll always notice, even if others dont.

markp
20-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks all for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I tried Meguiar's Scratch X but it didn't work.
So I went to a paint shop and get a quote, $400 that gonna cost me, is that normally how much it costs ?
The guy said 'he'll need to repaint the whole door and that gonna take him 3 days to do it.

I'll try different places before I decide to go ahead.

xenfacta
20-11-2006, 12:02 PM
sounds about that.

cost me about $500 for my roof

denot
23-11-2006, 02:42 PM
well... when I just gone mine for 3 days, SOMEBODY SMASH IT FROM THE BACK!!!! Luckly he's willing to pay for the damage, but still... :( And then a month after the accident, I park my car on the kerb side of the office, some dumb driver reverse parking and hit my front bumper!!!! AAAAAARRRGGHHH!!! Are these 06 Civic cursed or what?

Anyway, I manage to buff my front bumper, but cant make it 100% like how it was... :(

xenfacta
23-11-2006, 03:53 PM
no just jealous kients who want to hurt us :-P