sferalude
20-11-2006, 07:48 AM
hey guys
ive recently put some intake piping on my 5th gen
but have an old shitty little Simota Pod on there

im looking to get a good quality Pod
probably K and N

how much am i looking at and where can i buy

has anyone got a K&N on their 5th gen and is really happy with it ?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

sx16
20-11-2006, 06:01 PM
get apexi from one of traders as you cant beat that filter in perfomance and filtering its the best , shits all over others :)

dundas
20-11-2006, 11:16 PM
yes, apexi filters are excellent for performance and filtration. If you do not have $170 to spend on an air filter.. then the K&N filter is also an excellent choice..
having said that.. there are many types of KN pod filters. search for the one that will fit your engine bay well... something nice and big :D

gReY-oNe
21-11-2006, 06:37 PM
i have a k&n one in my car
loving it :D LOL but sayin that

i wonna giev the apexi one a go just for comparassion reasons i suppose

the k&n one gets dirty so easily
i cleaned it out like less den 5000km ago and it needs cleaning again
-__________- it takes effort to clean LMAO

other than that im quite happy

Tarks
21-11-2006, 07:20 PM
if u got SRI then box it off... maybe thats why its gettin dirty easily bao :P

make a heat shield for it..

dundas
21-11-2006, 07:45 PM
I have created a heatshield for mine. i wonder if it will keep things cleaner...
havig said that i do have a cold air feed from the front bar keeping the pod cool while im driving... i guess that would increase the dust build up ah wells... ill just clean it a day prior to a dyno day :)

sferalude
21-11-2006, 08:41 PM
yeah i think ill have to make a heat shield

but yea the simota is filthy

Tarks
21-11-2006, 09:32 PM
how long has the pod been in the car for? Maybe just needs a good clean.
If your determined to get a new pod, k&n or apexi will be fine. Also, if you back out of your plan on makin a heat shield, id suggest getting a paper filter, that way u wont get defected for having an open pod.

Luding
27-11-2006, 09:06 AM
i got a k&n in my car, i love it, performance and sound wise. yeh u need to make a heat shield, otherwise it locks away potential. for the 5th gens, making a heat shield is very easy.

i have a very similar setup to dundas.

lets see... ive had my pod for about 4k? and it hasn't shown a spec of dust yet.

sferalude
27-11-2006, 10:15 AM
where did u get it

do you have a model number on the pod

does it fit nice in the engine bay?

Luding
27-11-2006, 11:18 AM
i got mine from repco, mine is much bigger in size compared to the other 1s.

this is my 1 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/xsta5y/Photo0265.jpg

dundas
27-11-2006, 04:40 PM
yup das fairly simialr to my set up, just recently put a heat shield to mine though.. and DAMNZ that pod IS HUGEEE
i want one LOL

CUL8R
27-11-2006, 07:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/xsta5y/Photo0265.jpg

a setup like this improves nothing in terms of power.
did u even take out the resonator?

Luding
28-11-2006, 07:32 AM
ahha na na, thats onli to show the pod, i put a box around it to keeep engine heat out. also removed the resonator out and fed a CAI pipe up the res hole to feed into the pod
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/TecCing/PICT0002.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/TecCing/PICT0001.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/TecCing/PICT0004.jpg

Brash22
28-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but the difference to the engine's performance was...?

sikmushtaq
28-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I had a K&N Typhoon CAI setup in my prelude, the thing really gave a lot more power in the VTEC zone, (5300revs and up), but i thought car had lost a little bit of power in lower revs as the intake setup has longer piping, meaning longer time for the air to get to the intake manifold. The setup costs me about $380 and was worth every cent, especially on nice cool days, the power difference was huge throughout the whole rev range but in hot days low end power drops off a bit. This set up can be used as a short ram or cold air intake setup, but with the cold air intake setup i could not get defected as police could not work out whether the air filter was exposed or not. This mod also added a really nice roar to the car throughout the rev range particularly when VTEC was engaged. Hope this helps.

CUL8R
28-11-2006, 04:01 PM
ahha na na, thats onli to show the pod, i put a box around it to keeep engine heat out. also removed the resonator out and fed a CAI pipe up the res hole to feed into the pod

u went to all that effort and didnt want to spend 80 bucks on a mandrel bent pipe or one intake pipe off ebay???

companies like aem run R&D, uve just stuck a pod on the end of a pipe with R&D but only when used with the factory intake setup.

preludacris
28-11-2006, 05:26 PM
hrmm
yeah not too much point in only changing half of the piping of ur intake.

its like putting an axle back muffler onto a stock exhaust system , and expecting to increase exhaust flow.

i do like what urve done with the custom piping tho.

btw, that is one ugly assss pod lolz

Luding
28-11-2006, 07:01 PM
hey it was my first and only mod and a temporary 1. I'm going to sell the car soon so theres not point spending alot of money on mods.

aaronng
28-11-2006, 07:06 PM
u went to all that effort and didnt want to spend 80 bucks on a mandrel bent pipe or one intake pipe off ebay???

companies like aem run R&D, uve just stuck a pod on the end of a pipe with R&D but only when used with the factory intake setup.

LOL, Companies like GruppeM also run with the stock arm. They make more power at low, middle and high RPM. Can AEM claim the same?

CUL8R
28-11-2006, 07:29 PM
thats all well and good.....but i cannot think of a single company making an intake setup that uses the stock arm for the 5th gen prelude

to tell u the truth i dont think there is any...

aaronng
28-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Not sure if the BB6 has the same engine layout as the BB1/BB4, but Apexi makes an intake for the 4th gen. Part number 508-H002

dundas
03-12-2006, 03:15 PM
the set up from the guy who posted his pics is actually quite a good one.
i have had my set up simialr to his. the reason to why using the standard rubber piping is because of the excellent heat resistance to it.
the main idea was to reduce the obstruction of the BOX, resinator and increase the cold air induction.
and also if apexi makes one of the best intakes with best preformance etc.. then this set up mimicks it...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/dundas08/CAR/PRELUDE/CIMG0461.jpg

this is my set up, i use to only have a straight 3" pipe from existing OEM pipe to filter, but now i have enahnced the set up with a 3" 50 degree bend stainless steel pipe from the OEM pipe to the POD.
i have also produced a heat shield for heat protections... also my heat shield is protected internally with rubber. All this included a cool air ducting from the front bar as "luding"

ohh by the way, i do believe my improved in power.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/dundas08/CAR/PRELUDE/DYNO2006.jpg

aaronng
03-12-2006, 04:01 PM
^^ did you find that the bend help improve response? I prefer keeping the piping as straight as possible.

dundas
04-12-2006, 11:00 PM
well the dyno was with the straight pipe.. so possible i may have lost power, but then regained that .3kw with the heat shield. :)

yes i did find that i lost a touch of power with the slight bend in pipe. but when the heat shield went on.. it worked wonders.
also because the pod now sits in a more cooler region with protection from heat :)

aaronng
04-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah, the heat shield is tops. My car was all sound and no go once it passed 6000rpm. With the heatshield, it gets a little bump in torque.

preludacris
08-12-2006, 12:53 PM
lol , u could tell you lost power going from a straight pipe to a bent pipe. ur butt dyno must be pretty dam accurate.... :S

nice enclosure tho. i want one.

CUL8R
09-12-2006, 12:31 AM
ur butt dyno must be pretty dam accurate.... :S

he must of just got it calibrated lol

dundas
09-12-2006, 02:41 AM
well, its for the individual to see... try it for urself :)
might of just been weather condition etc.
ah wells. all good-
oh i got a bigger pod.. it seems to work a lil better.. probably because it is new and clean :)