PDA

View Full Version : Handling or a lack thereof...

Dylanamus
20-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I haven't driven a car other than my own for quite some time, so I have no means of comparison to determine whether my car is acting normal or not.

It is a CRX SiR with Tein SS 6/3 (I think) front upper/lower struts and rear upper. Also it has almost all the suspension bushings replaced wtih polyurethane. So it was recently (within three months) almost completely disassembled and put back together by a suspension workshop.

I've begun noticing a subtle huming sound (more predominant when turning) that pulsates in volume (I guess this would suggest it's on a rotating component?). I have also noticed that if I do any more abrupt steering manauvers, for example a shallow S style movement, like when changing lanes fast, the body of the car seems to lag behind the steering and when it catches up, it feels like body roll, but without any noticable tilt. At first I thought this was only happening at high speeds, but I experimented right down to 70km and was still getting the same thing.

I don't know if I'm just expecting too much out of my current setup or not, because I haven't driven another car in a long time, but I can't ever remember this happening to me before.

I can't help but feel that something is amiss. Is this normal? What could be wrong? Thanks heaps in advance.

bennjamin
20-11-2006, 08:10 PM
you need a upgraded rear and maybe front swaybar methinks :)
Or a good alignment..

JasonGilholme
20-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Your hummin sound could be the PS pump.

As for the spongey suspension. Was it doing this when you first got the coilovers?? Are they a used set?? If so how many k's??

Dylanamus
21-11-2006, 08:24 AM
I gave a friend a drive last night. He is of the opinion that the problem is related to the steering and not the suspension. PS fluid looks a bit old, but it's still aplenty. I'm approaching 150,000, so I might just take it in to get the timing belt replaced soon and get the mechanic to check out the PS pump.

The coilovers were bought brand new and I honestly can't recall if the car was handling like this 3 months ago. I think the humming only developed recently though.

Also I'm not sure how much my steering wheel should vibrate, but my friend (who also owns an EF8) commented on that. So maybe the suspension workshop didn't do a great job on the alignment either?

Sways are defintiely on my list and probably racing spec coils as well - as my spine still feels youthful and my head hasn't hit the roof yet, so obviously my springs aren't hard enough. :D