PDA

View Full Version : Why havent Honda released a sports version of the Euro? Type R anyone?

Thorn2004
21-11-2006, 09:16 AM
I really think that Honda are missing out on a whole segment of the market with the Euro, my missus and I were talking about this the other day... why don't Honda release a Sports version of the Accord Euro? They could sport the standard Luxury up with a bodykit, sport seats, different displays in the dash - taco speedo etc, maybe some sportier rims.. maybe even lower them a little, I reckon they would sell like hotcakes!

The Euro is a great car as it is, I own a Milano Red 05 Luxury, but if they would just release a sports version they would sell a whole lot of cars to the younger end of the market! What do you guys think? Do you think it will ever happen?

Zdster
21-11-2006, 09:22 AM
There is a type r. It was just not released in Australia :).

Thorn2004
21-11-2006, 09:25 AM
There is a type r. It was just not released in Australia :).

You serious? Why the hell wouldn't they release it in Australia? Got any links to some pics? Doesn't make sense !

jamchen
21-11-2006, 09:27 AM
well...u've got the sports version of euro, which is a spiced up base model...
but personally i won't think it will be a good idea coz u already got the DC5s and as a company you won't want to see the potential buyers of DC5s switch to euro sport... rather than getting buyers from other car makers...

jamchen
21-11-2006, 09:28 AM
You serious? Why the hell wouldn't they release it in Australia? Got any links to some pics? Doesn't make sense !

lol... Oz has missed out soo many other good cars that are released in Japan but not here... even we do get them, the equipment levels are just downgraded...:thumbdwn:

Thorn2004
21-11-2006, 09:33 AM
lol... Oz has missed out soo many other good cars that are released in Japan but not here... even we do get them, the equipment levels are just downgraded...:thumbdwn:

What do they think we are just all dumb Aussies not worthy of their hotted up beast of cars? They probably reckon that we all sit on the back of Kangaroos and hop everywhere! I mean ffs we arn't fricken convicts anymore!

Yeah I do have the done up base model in the Luxury and yeah it does turn heads, the Milano Red stands out but I would have bought a sports version if it was available when I bought my Euro instead, rather than having to add a bodykit, spoiler etc after sale!

Zdster
21-11-2006, 09:34 AM
The chassis code is CL7 so just run a few different searches through google.

Oh and the cool Spoon CL7:
http://asia.vtec.net/article/Spoon2/index.html

jamchen
21-11-2006, 09:43 AM
What do they think we are just all dumb Aussies not worthy of their hotted up beast of cars? They probably reckon that we all sit on the back of Kangaroos and hop everywhere! I mean ffs we arn't fricken convicts anymore!

Yeah I do have the done up base model in the Luxury and yeah it does turn heads, the Milano Red stands out but I would have bought a sports version if it was available when I bought my Euro instead, rather than having to add a bodykit, spoiler etc after sale!

there are many other factors you have to consider.. like import tax and others. we see that most of our cars are made in thailand rather than japan, US or europe is because we have FTA with thailand and its cheaper for Honda to import cars from there and to be more competitive with other car makers... and due to the productivity to the thai factory only certain models can be made.
so yeah, after all, they r company who just trying to maximise profits. so they will do what's best for them...
and on the other hand, Oz isn't only slow in car line-ups but as well as broadband, fashion etc..lol

Thorn2004
21-11-2006, 09:46 AM
The chassis code is CL7 so just run a few different searches through google.

Oh and the cool Spoon CL7:
http://asia.vtec.net/article/Spoon2/index.html

Thanks I will look that up!

Thorn2004
21-11-2006, 09:51 AM
http://k20a.free.fr/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=210 :thumbsup:

Now that is what I am talking about !

poid
21-11-2006, 12:03 PM
it wouldnt sell in high enough volumes to justify it...this argument has already been run through between Honda Australia and other Honda arms with the Civic Type-R many times.

SHIFTY
21-11-2006, 12:23 PM
The worst part is that all the cars that are brought in are de-tuned ! ! !

mj3610
21-11-2006, 02:15 PM
The worst part is that all the cars that are brought in are de-tuned ! ! !

thats because of australias disgusting fuel...
the industry is poorly regulated to the point where you could sell piss to motorists and noone would do anything about it...

aaronng
21-11-2006, 02:21 PM
It's because between the EuroR and the regular 2.4L Euro, they would have to detune the engine like what happened to the DC5R. So you'd get a 147kW 2.0L EuroR. The 2.4L 140kW Euro could be sold at a cheaper price and also partially overlap with the luxury segment by offering leather interior (which is not available on the EuroR). So it made good business sense to go for the 2.4L instead.

Would you buy an EuroR if it was priced at $50,000?

Thorn2004
21-11-2006, 03:19 PM
It's because between the EuroR and the regular 2.4L Euro, they would have to detune the engine like what happened to the DC5R. So you'd get a 147kW 2.0L EuroR. The 2.4L 140kW Euro could be sold at a cheaper price and also partially overlap with the luxury segment by offering leather interior (which is not available on the EuroR). So it made good business sense to go for the 2.4L instead.

Would you buy an EuroR if it was priced at $50,000?

If it had leather seats I would, my Luxury wasn't much cheaper than that, infact the only reason I didn't get the bodykit put on it when I bought it was because it would have pushed the price over 50K which meant I would get a luxury tax charge ontop of all my other charges!

aaronng
21-11-2006, 04:35 PM
If it had leather seats I would, my Luxury wasn't much cheaper than that, infact the only reason I didn't get the bodykit put on it when I bought it was because it would have pushed the price over 50K which meant I would get a luxury tax charge ontop of all my other charges!
Unfortunately, the EuroR would NEVER come with leather seats as it is not an option in Japan. EuroR comes standard with fabric Recaros. You could get the leather seats retrofitted in, but I doubt Honda nor the dealer would do that for you as you would be having a leather seat with a side airbag that was not connected!

euro77
21-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately, the EuroR would NEVER come with leather seats as it is not an option in Japan. EuroR comes standard with fabric Recaros. You could get the leather seats retrofitted in, but I doubt Honda nor the dealer would do that for you as you would be having a leather seat with a side airbag that was not connected!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the recaro is fitted with side airbag, meaning that it should be fine to fit leather on it (even aftermarket) since there's no side airbag in the first place.

tony1234
21-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah.euro R would be great.:thumbsup:

aaronng
21-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the recaro is fitted with side airbag, meaning that it should be fine to fit leather on it (even aftermarket) since there's no side airbag in the first place.

I meant that if you wanted to take the leather seats from the Luxury and install them in the EuroR, you would have the side airbag connectors on the seat-side hanging there unconnected. Also, the seat heaters would not be connected. I doubt Honda nor the dealer would be happy to fit in an airbag seat while leaving the airbag cable not connected.

Type R Positive
21-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Would you buy an EuroR if it was priced at $50,000?People buy the Teg at that sort of price, with the euro R being more practical, yeah, I think it would have a market.

Type R Positive
21-11-2006, 09:46 PM
It's not the Japs, it's the Aussie's here deciding what will be profitable or not.

aaronng
21-11-2006, 10:00 PM
People buy the Teg at that sort of price, with the euro R being more practical, yeah, I think it would have a market.
People would buy the $50k DC5R because 147kW + exclusive racing bits were a big step up from the $40k+ base model with 118kW.

The $50k EuroR on the other hand would have 147kW + Recaros and LSD. Would you buy that over a $33k Euro with 140kW? Remember, most of the bits are the same with the base Euro, including calipers, and possibly suspension too! Rims, tyres and interior bits are the same as the Euro Sport too.

EuroAccord13
22-11-2006, 12:36 AM
It's not the Japs, it's the Aussie's here deciding what will be profitable or not.

Exactly, and that as well, the market for the Euro R is not strong enough to justify importation...

tony1234
22-11-2006, 05:20 AM
He's right unfortunately.:(

Tobster
22-11-2006, 10:02 AM
infact the only reason I didn't get the bodykit put on it when I bought it was because it would have pushed the price over 50K which meant I would get a luxury tax charge ontop of all my other charges!

Actually, you don't pay luxury car tax until $57000.

You can get the kit fitted (if you want) at any time.

Entity
22-11-2006, 10:15 AM
australia always get the short stick when it comes to sport versions of cars

especially honda... honda australia only ever brought out one real type r =/

22-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Tru dat....

we always get crap, everything is detuned to put up with the dodgy petrol. especially anything with forced induction. i wish i lived in japan!

Oz has had 2 gens of type R tegs, atleast its good to see the new type s teg has more power than the type r. tho i do like the wing on the typr r tegs, it might look silly on a classy euro, but i reckon it adds to the type-r's exclusiveness and look.

tony1234
22-11-2006, 11:53 AM
australia always get the short stick when it comes to sport versions of cars

especially honda... honda australia only ever brought out one real type r =/

So true!

curik
24-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Australian fuel is crap? That means the Vpower and BP Ultimate here sucks? I wonder if detuning engines are necessary because of the Australia's extreme summer and weather.

tRipitaka
24-11-2006, 08:53 AM
aussies prefer luxury over sports..

hence the reason why the integra type R was replaced with the type S (i.e. luxury options)

Type R Positive
24-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Australian fuel is crap? That means the Vpower and BP Ultimate here sucks? I wonder if detuning engines are necessary because of the Australia's extreme summer and weather.
Yep, Australian fuel is crap (compared to other countries). Too much sulfur for starters.

Type R Positive
24-11-2006, 01:54 PM
aussies prefer luxury over sports..

hence the reason why the integra type R was replaced with the type S (i.e. luxury options)
I think it is more of a cost consideration to it as well.

The Aussie dc5r's price put it in a higher bracket so to speak, plus the biggest point is that the Aussie dc5r was not a true type r.

The new type s has more performance and I definately wouldn't call it a luxury car!!!!! ;)

For some quick interior pics of the type s:
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/HONDA/INTEGRA/New%20South%20Wales/2103267.aspx

Mitsu007
02-12-2006, 12:34 PM
yes throughout the past years the aussie markets haven't been fond of sports ranges .... shown by the de-tuned Integra type-R (i still like it though) became a type-S (wtf ... really .... i liked the spoiler!)
it will cost them too much to bring up another sports ranges when they can only sell 1000 - 2000 of those ..... i like the EURO-R but i guess i'll jsut upgrade the body kit...

aaronng
02-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Yep, Australian fuel is crap (compared to other countries). Too much sulfur for starters.
While that is true for 91 octane, 98 octane petrols in Australia have very low sulfur content. If it can run on direct injection petrol engines without fouling, it is already as low as Japan's sulfur content.

IAMVTEC
02-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Hehe forget the Euro R. I personally think the Euro is better suited to being a passenger car. Its more suited to VIP and luxury mods than sporty ones. I think the stock grille fits it better than the aftermarket ones! The whole body shape suits the chrome linings better than black ones.

IAMVTEC
02-12-2006, 09:13 PM
i wish i lived in japan!

No you don't. Australia isnt the greatest place but it is better than living in Japan!.

aaronng
02-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Hehe forget the Euro R. I personally think the Euro is better suited to being a passenger car. Its more suited to VIP and luxury mods than sporty ones. I think the stock grille fits it better than the aftermarket ones! The whole body shape suits the chrome linings better than black ones.
VIP and luxury mods? No thanks. The EuroR once fitted with coilovers is within 1 second of a JDM DC5R with coilovers on the track.

IAMVTEC
02-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I just think the look of the car suits a luxury look better than a sports look. But it can look hot either way I think.

aaronng
02-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Looks doesn't matter to me. ;)

ALN
02-12-2006, 11:51 PM
I just think the look of the car suits a luxury look better than a sports look. But it can look hot either way I think.

I think euro could be modified both luxury, sporty or pure racing. All this type serves different purpose and tastes. Look at realtime tsx/ euro or WTC or japanese touring euro like 5zigen one, well I believe many people would actually admire these works of arts. In the other hand there are many euro also modified with VIP style are also tempting with exception of rice. But anyway that's your money you're spending so it is up to you what sort of modifications do you like since people have different tastes. :D

tony1234
04-12-2006, 06:19 AM
I think euro could be modified both luxury, sporty or pure racing. All this type serves different purpose and tastes. Look at realtime tsx/ euro or WTC or japanese touring euro like 5zigen one, well I believe many people would actually admire these works of arts. In the other hand there are many euro also modified with VIP style are also tempting with exception of rice. But anyway that's your money you're spending so it is up to you what sort of modifications do you like since people have different tastes. :D
Agreed.It's a versatile car.It looks good as you said modded many different ways.

bigdongers
11-12-2006, 11:01 PM
they should consider it. Heaps of Subaru Liberties are sold over 50k. So much so they brought in the 3.0 models to complement the GT. Mazda has the MPS. There is definitely a market for sports models. many are down grading from Commodore SS type cars but still want performance and praticality

aaronng
12-12-2006, 12:25 AM
they should consider it. Heaps of Subaru Liberties are sold over 50k. So much so they brought in the 3.0 models to complement the GT. Mazda has the MPS. There is definitely a market for sports models. many are down grading from Commodore SS type cars but still want performance and praticality

Which would you buy?
$50,000 EuroR, 164kW@8000rpm, 206Nm@7000rpm
$49,000 6MPS, 190kW@5500rpm, 380Nm@3000rpm
$56,000, Liberty GT, 184kW@6000rpm, 339Nm@3600rpm

The MPS and Liberty GT appeal also to the general public and older age group because it is drivable at low rpm. Even with an extra 2000rpm for the EuroR, short gearing is still not enough to make up for the disadvantage in torque at regular driving rpm.