PDA

View Full Version : ground control sleeves....

gbang007
21-11-2006, 12:57 PM
hey guys,
i want to lower my car....i have koni yellows and have been told to get Ground Control Sleeves to go with them, what would these sleeves do? I also still need to push the plastic up further into the fender for more clearance but after that it should be fine to lower. Should i lower it with my koni as they are adjustable or just get lowering springs? i want the most comfortable ride possible still though whilst lowering it and i know comfortability will decrease. i want to lower it mabe 1.5"-2" but i dont want it too low. So should i go with lowering springs or just use my konis to lower it? what are the pros and cons of each option?

Eclipsor
21-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Just lower the Koni's first. If you still want it lower than that and only want 2" I reackon just get springs. They'll be cheaper. If you want it lower than that then the GC's might be a good option. If you are concerned with a comfortable ride though I don't think you'll be able to go too low. Also, if you do get the GC's you'll want to choose the spring rate carefully.

TEGNO1
21-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi konis allow a 10mm drop, standard, or 10mm raise, from the original spring height, so if you got 2inch lowered springs you can go up or down from that height via the circlip, The sleeve kit is an adjustable spring platform with threads on it and simply slides over the shock allowing you to adjust the height of the car in small increments, the range of adjustment is alot larger, and i find that with just putting in a set of springs the car is always out by 5-10mm in each corner, with the sleeve kit you can lower the car to the exact height you want in each corner and get it perfect. you'll be alot happier with the ground control kit and your new koni coilovers, later.

jdm_kid
21-11-2006, 01:49 PM
ground control sleeves are for slamming ! 3"-4" drop !! w00t.

as Eclipsor said, get springs (decent springs tho, spoon springs + koni = good combo ! they go pretty low too i heard / seen? ) since ur only wanting to do a 1.5"-2" drop, plus its cheaper, as the GC are coming from the states n shipping prices go up n up blah ~

destrukshn
21-11-2006, 01:53 PM
so no place in au(syd) sells em?
lol
like in a shop?
lol.

jdm_kid
21-11-2006, 02:41 PM
so no place in au(syd) sells em?
lol
like in a shop?
lol.

AND OO (no)

Muzz
26-11-2006, 01:42 AM
ground control sleeves are for slamming ! 3"-4" drop !! w00t.

as Eclipsor said, get springs (decent springs tho, spoon springs + koni = good combo ! they go pretty low too i heard / seen? ) since ur only wanting to do a 1.5"-2" drop, plus its cheaper, as the GC are coming from the states n shipping prices go up n up blah ~

The ground control sleves come with eibach springs, which are very good quality springs. You can also custom order different spring rates with the sleves, and order different pairs of different rate springs in the future, if u want to change the spring rates, without getting the sleves again.

preludacris
26-11-2006, 02:37 AM
yeah ive heard really good things about the ground control springs. especially with the koni yellows.

they a lil exxy, if u want cheaper then eibach prokit springs will also be very well matched, but just not adjustable. but like others sed, try lowering with the konis, see if you like that first.

TEGNO1
04-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi here is a seller in USA who sells em, later.http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/groundcontrol/

MKI4EVA
04-12-2006, 01:27 PM
just chrop coils off your current springs. If you have koni's you can adjust the dampers and there will be no bouncing issue. Tried and tested by HPR president Dan the man-Probuilder.

Muzz
04-12-2006, 03:33 PM
just chrop coils off your current springs. If you have koni's you can adjust the dampers and there will be no bouncing issue. Tried and tested by HPR president Dan the man-Probuilder.

Sorry mate, but thats some really stupid advice there, yes people have done it and not had issues, but it is a really stupid thing to do to save some cash. If ur too poor to work on ur suspension properly LEAVE IT ALONE:thumbdwn:

U obviously dont have any idea of the issues brought up when chopping springs, let me inform you.
When u chop the springs, u do not make the ride bouncier, the spring rate is exactly the same, the damper stiffness is exactly the same.
What u are doing is effectivly reducing the shock travel, while not compensating for the reduced travel by increasing the spring rate, which means ur bouncing on the bump stops. Bouncing on the bumpstops is VERY VERY DANGEROUS.

you are effectivly suddenly increasing the spring rate an infinate amount, when hitting the bumpstops, which will result in you bouncing off the road with snap oversteer or understeer during cornering, depending on what end hits the bumpstops. Possibly into oncoming cars or pedestrians:thumbdwn:.

Also ur removing the spring seat, the end of the spring that coils around and touches itself, a part which is very important to hold the spring base or top in place on the perch:thumbdwn:

Not to mention any form of good handling is thrown out the window, for looks:thumbdwn: Ohh and if u didnt realise its illegal.

So :thumbdwn: to extremly dangerous mods, that greatly risk the safety of yourself, your passengers, padestrians and other cars, to save a couple of hundred dollars. And :thumbdwn: to the idiots who perform ghetto mods to there cars suspension, including "Dan the man-Probuilder", might have worked out ok for him, but things have ended up in devistation for hundreds/thousands of other spring cutter idiots, as well as lots of innocent bystanders.

From my view Dan the man-Probuilder, really must not be very pro at all, to go recomending extremly dangerous modifications to others (maby he wants to kill the competition, literally), let alone doing them to actual cars:thumbdwn: Im sure 99.99999%, no sorry, make that every single performance shop knows the dangers associated with chopping springs, along with 90% of all car enthusiasts, im strugling to undestand how a "pro builder" didnt know, somthing so commonly and widely known?????

TEGNO1
04-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Too right, what also happens if the springs are so short and not designed properly such as a progressive wind or coilover the springs fall out going over a large bump and you have yourself a locked steering wheel (seen it happen)........PAY LESS NOW.....PAY MORE LATER.